Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: As a translator, I couldn't live without...
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 07:34
Miembro 2009
francés al inglés
On site resources! Mar 21, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I will ask: "Honey, what the heck is a supercalifragilisticexpialidocioussomethingfrommarsorarea51 washer or stupid screw or somethingbolt?", and he will grin, go into the garage, rummage through his approximately 2 million different metal thingies on hand and explain it to me. Coooool!!!!!

How lovely. I use my husband for the latest in IT terminology. A language designed by geeks is not always smooth and he can tell me which awkward phrase is correct.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 05:34
inglés al español
+ ...
In Memoriam
Internet Mar 21, 2012

Of course I have lived without it, I've been in business for over 40 years. But back then everyone lived without it. Now, I cannot imagine being able to work effectively without the Net, even though I have a lot of local clients. Plus the Net is the world's largest library, when once I was confined to local collections, now the whole world is at my fingertips.

The Internet was made to order for this business.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Perú
Local time: 06:34
Miembro 2005
inglés al español
+ ...
Nothing on that list Mar 21, 2012

There isn't really anything on that list that I couldn't live without.

Dictionaries/glossaries: if they get lost (actually it happened with IATE, when they changed the whole structure and now you can't find anything there), I will just get others.

Other translators: they could be nice people, but besides a couple of them, they are not really my lifetime friends, only acquaintances.

Internet: I worked as a translator years before Internet existed and it all
... See more
There isn't really anything on that list that I couldn't live without.

Dictionaries/glossaries: if they get lost (actually it happened with IATE, when they changed the whole structure and now you can't find anything there), I will just get others.

Other translators: they could be nice people, but besides a couple of them, they are not really my lifetime friends, only acquaintances.

Internet: I worked as a translator years before Internet existed and it all was fine. Of course it's useful and makes me work quicker, but it's not really something "I can't live without". So if there's a sudden cut or an earthquake and you don't have Internet for days, then you whole life is ruined or you would commit suicide? Come on!
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 04:34
inglés al alemán
+ ...
In Memoriam
Woo hoo. Mar 21, 2012

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:
you don't have Internet for days, then you whole life is ruined or you would commit suicide? Come on!

If a translator is working chiefly in PR, which means that you are dealing with brand-new technologies that are introduced to the world for the very first time, you really think that you can do without the internet for the most recent information or are your good old dictionaries magically updating themselves? Speaking of overestimating one's capabilities...

Dr. Andrew Frankland
Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 13:34
Miembro 2007
inglés
+ ...
Scottish exports.... Mar 21, 2012

As well as some of the items on the list, and the internet of course, I couldn't live and work without two of Scotland's greatest exports - golf and single malt whisky: the former to relax on my occasional days off and the latter to relax at night when a particularly know-all client has mangled my carefully though out translation. Today is one of those days, so a large 21-year-old Macallan for me this evening.....

Andy

Marcela Dutra
Marcela Dutra  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:34
inglés al español
+ ...
Go TEAM!!! Mar 21, 2012

Lucia Colombino wrote:

Two cups please.

And also: my clients, my colleagues, the internet, my dictionaries... and my team: http://www.proz.com/team/1319

...all of those, and as a very lucky member of that same team, I absolutely agree about that final item!!! Obviously one could, at a pinch, live and work without some of these things, but how much easier and more pleasant our lives are because of them. Particularly that TEAM!!! Thanks, guys, you know who you are!

James Hodges
James Hodges  Identity Verified
Japón
Local time: 20:34
japonés al inglés
Call Me Old-Fashioned But..... Mar 22, 2012

Many years ago I picked up a first edition of Nelson's "Japanese-English Character Dictionary" (circa 1962). Although now thoroughly dog-eared and well-thumbed, it is probably the most useful translation tool I bought. It is also a great conversation starter with clients because it includes a huge number of Chinese/Japanese characters that are no longer in general use.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japón
Local time: 20:34
Miembro 2011
japonés al inglés
K9, you are not alone Mar 22, 2012

K9 Business wrote:
Many years ago I picked up a first edition of Nelson's "Japanese-English Character Dictionary" (circa 1962). Although now thoroughly dog-eared and well-thumbed, it is probably the most useful translation tool I bought. It is also a great conversation starter with clients because it includes a huge number of Chinese/Japanese characters that are no longer in general use.

Yes, I have one, too. though it's the second revised edition. It's very beaten up because I've used it so often since my college days. Apart from The Lord of the Rings which I read when I was 13, I've kept this one the longest.

Glad there are other traditionalists out there besides me.

Happy translating!

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
Local time: 13:34
inglés
+ ...
I said Internet, Mar 22, 2012

but of course agree with those who said clients.

"A customer is the most important visitor on our premises.
He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him.
He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it.
He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it.
We are not doing him a favor by serving him.
He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so."
(Mahatma Gandhi)

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: As a translator, I couldn't live without...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »