Hidden words / segments in MSWord that show up in Trados 2014?
Thread poster: Vicky Bayer
Vicky Bayer
Vicky Bayer  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 01:49
German to English
Jun 26, 2015

Can anyone tell me why there should be some words (or rather segments) in Trados that simply don't appear on the original MSWord file? Very strangely, if I search for the word (within MSWord) using Word's 'find' function, it appears to have 'found' the word and moves the cursor to within the header, but is not actually highlighting anything... as if Word knows that the sentence/word is there, but won't show it to me. And yes, I have checked under my Word preferences that all 'hidden text' is to ... See more
Can anyone tell me why there should be some words (or rather segments) in Trados that simply don't appear on the original MSWord file? Very strangely, if I search for the word (within MSWord) using Word's 'find' function, it appears to have 'found' the word and moves the cursor to within the header, but is not actually highlighting anything... as if Word knows that the sentence/word is there, but won't show it to me. And yes, I have checked under my Word preferences that all 'hidden text' is to be shown, rather than hidden, but still can't see these words.

In a small document its not such an issue - but in a large document of 60 pages or so, I can't always identify this mysterious text, and so am translating words that the client doesn't want or need translated, that won't show up on the final translation, and that aren't included in my time/quote calculation!! So I really need to get to the bottom of this.

Any ideas?
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Stupidly simple, but... Jun 26, 2015

Could it be something as simple as the fact that the ink colour of the text is set to white?!

I have encountered this before, either due to an editing error (someone hadn't noticed that it had originally been on a coloured background, and so failed to change the ink colour) or because they wanted to 'hide' the text but not actually delete it.

If there is NO wanted ink colour applied in your text, you could just 'select all' and then set the text ink colour to black or '
... See more
Could it be something as simple as the fact that the ink colour of the text is set to white?!

I have encountered this before, either due to an editing error (someone hadn't noticed that it had originally been on a coloured background, and so failed to change the ink colour) or because they wanted to 'hide' the text but not actually delete it.

If there is NO wanted ink colour applied in your text, you could just 'select all' and then set the text ink colour to black or 'auto'

If there ARE wanted colour changes in the text, try 'select all' and then highlight in black (or dark blue, etc.) That way, you will be able to see if any 'reversed out' text magically appears.

Sadly, your situation is probably not as simplistic as this, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway...

[Modifié le 2015-06-26 09:48 GMT]
Collapse

Vicky Bayer
Austria
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
unfortunately not... Jun 26, 2015

Good idea Tony, but that didn't work either. It could be that the text is actually relating to something that the author has changed / deleted (or in this case, maybe not deleted properly) - actually MSWord gets 'stuck' looking for the word, but still takes the cursor to within the header (which is where the text would have been, from what I can tell).

Long story short - I think its something to do with an older version / tracked changes, although I've fiddled with that display quit
... See more
Good idea Tony, but that didn't work either. It could be that the text is actually relating to something that the author has changed / deleted (or in this case, maybe not deleted properly) - actually MSWord gets 'stuck' looking for the word, but still takes the cursor to within the header (which is where the text would have been, from what I can tell).

Long story short - I think its something to do with an older version / tracked changes, although I've fiddled with that display quite a bit too to no avail
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Tracked changes Jun 26, 2015

If there is any risk of there being errant 'tracked changes' within the document, you could start by 'accepting all changes', which ought to clear that.

Vicky Bayer
Austria
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm afraid not... Jun 26, 2015

that didn't work either - I've accepted everything, got everything shown (tried master document, view header / footer etc etc) and tried looking for the changes in the markup summary sidebar too... maybe I need to speak to SDL, I can't figure out if its a Word issue or a Trados issue, and unfortunately the document is a bit confidential - I'd change the names (to protect the innocent, as it were!) but I can't get to the text to do so!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hidden words / segments in MSWord that show up in Trados 2014?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »