Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Local time: 16:00
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 13, 2015

I need to know how to make a wordcount on Power Point 2007.

Thanks,
N.

Koen Speetjens (X)
Koen Speetjens (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Office advice Apr 13, 2015

Have you tried the advice from Office?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Count-the-number-of-words-in-a-presentation-88732d8b-a02e-454b-8e0f-74e5f7ba8243

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Apr 13, 2015

Hi Koen,

Thanks a lot, the link has proved to be very helpful indeed.

Have a wonderful day!

Best,
N.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
At long last... Apr 13, 2015

That link certainly seems a lot more useful than previous efforts from Microsoft regarding this type of query. Thanks for posting it.

Schtroumpf
Schtroumpf
German to French
+ ...
One more word about PPT Apr 13, 2015

This is not at all meant to be an answer to the asker but just a hint.

PPT is wellknown among translators for not being easy to cope with. The layout often needs three times the amount of work you spend on translation.

Of course everybody should know in advance how many words are to be translated, either in the slides or below (comments). But I never count these words at the same price than "normal" translations in Word files. Either the Customer will have to pay a very
... See more
This is not at all meant to be an answer to the asker but just a hint.

PPT is wellknown among translators for not being easy to cope with. The layout often needs three times the amount of work you spend on translation.

Of course everybody should know in advance how many words are to be translated, either in the slides or below (comments). But I never count these words at the same price than "normal" translations in Word files. Either the Customer will have to pay a very heavy word price or I will charge a price per slide, including the annex workload.
Collapse

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi there Apr 14, 2015

Hello Schtroumpf,

Thank you so much for your reply.

The truth is I have charged the client my normal rate even though I have spent two days on 4,000 words.

I will follow your advice for the next time.

Best,
Natalia

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
All part of the service Apr 14, 2015

I'm afraid I don't agree with Schtroumpf here.

A customer is not interested in our abilities to deal properly withhh different formats, and does not expect to have to pay extra for work on what they perceive as a 'normal' format.

As far as PowerPoint is concerned, I use the Werecat utility, which is brilliant for extracting ALL the editable text from a PPT, allowing it to be translated, and then putting it back seamlessly in all the right places. As a result, I am able
... See more
I'm afraid I don't agree with Schtroumpf here.

A customer is not interested in our abilities to deal properly withhh different formats, and does not expect to have to pay extra for work on what they perceive as a 'normal' format.

As far as PowerPoint is concerned, I use the Werecat utility, which is brilliant for extracting ALL the editable text from a PPT, allowing it to be translated, and then putting it back seamlessly in all the right places. As a result, I am able to work in Word, using my CAT tool where apppropriate, and with all the normal word-processing facilities; I simply down my final read-through in the finished PPT, so I can catch any niceties of layout that justify correction; in practice, I spend hardly any longer with this workflow than with a straighforward .DOC file.

Sometimes I make a small extra surcharge for 'processing' the PPT file — but more than anything, that's as an incentive to persuade the customer to give me the original Word doc (if indeed one exists) for future jobs!

My customers appreciate the fact that I use my skill and experience to find 'solutions' instead of looking for 'problems'.
Collapse

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Tony Apr 14, 2015

Thanks so much for your message.

I agree we don't have to give much hassle to the customer by charging extra money, but indeed Power Point is a bit tiresome.

Nonetheless I have not charged the client extra money, and I probably won't either.

Maybe I will try out your Werecat tool and see if it works for me.

Have a nice day!

Natalia

Schtroumpf
Schtroumpf
German to French
+ ...
Hi Tony Apr 14, 2015

Maybe in this particular point our experience is not identical. I spent much time on PPT sentences split in two by the author (2 lines...), or reducing the size of caracters to make them fit in too little space. If you translate into English, (NO problem BUT...) the extra work might be slightly less critical because English sentences do not expand at a 30% rate, like German to French. Tant mieux pour toi !

Sometimes I leave the choice to customers as well: either you will get the u
... See more
Maybe in this particular point our experience is not identical. I spent much time on PPT sentences split in two by the author (2 lines...), or reducing the size of caracters to make them fit in too little space. If you translate into English, (NO problem BUT...) the extra work might be slightly less critical because English sentences do not expand at a 30% rate, like German to French. Tant mieux pour toi !

Sometimes I leave the choice to customers as well: either you will get the unformatted translation at the regular price, and do the rest of the work by yourself. Or you get the finished file, clean for immediate use, and you know how much you pay in addition. Most often they want to get the clean product and understand that I don't like to perform a secretary's service just for fun, without being paid for it. This is my preferred option: Customer satisfied AND myself being paid for any additional work at the same time.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on wordcount in PowerPoint 2007

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »