Tanja 1
Tanja 1
Germany
Local time: 20:15
German to English
+ ...
Mar 11, 2015

Hello,

my Excel file (VBA-dictionary) (http://www.j-hennekes.de/1578666.htm) doesn't work anymore... Not a good time to give up...

Every time I want to type something in the search field the following message appears:
„Microsoft Visual Basic – Ausführung des Codes wurde unterbrochen“

Schalter: Fortfahren, Beenden, Debuggen, Hilfe
(Original Ge
... See more
Hello,

my Excel file (VBA-dictionary) (http://www.j-hennekes.de/1578666.htm) doesn't work anymore... Not a good time to give up...

Every time I want to type something in the search field the following message appears:
„Microsoft Visual Basic – Ausführung des Codes wurde unterbrochen“

Schalter: Fortfahren, Beenden, Debuggen, Hilfe
(Original German message - literally translated:
„Microsoft Visual Basic – Performance of the code has been interrupted.
switch: continue, stop, Debuggen, help

Normally I'm using this dictionary when I'm working...

Are there other dictionaries to which terms can be added (random numbers)?
The current one included a search mask with the languages "German, English, Spanish, French, german example sentence, foreign example sentence"
I was able to use them via key commands:

F5=entering field, F6=German, F7=English, F8=Spanish, F9=French, F10=example sentence, F11=___
It should be possible to enter many terms - because my current one has more than 7.000 terms (some of them in doubled existence) but I would like to continue a project like this - as in this document I was able to directly write own comments into the document - which would be missing when I'm looking in the online dictionaries...

Who can help me? Do you know similar projects? I really hope that there exists a similar project... This dictionary was just hilarious...!!!

Thank you very much for your help!

Tanja
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Info please Mar 11, 2015

Tanja 1 wrote:

Who can help me?

You – by giving more info on your system, on possible changes/additions, on other Excel-Files/Macros that run simultaneously, on attempts to use a backup version, ...

Do you know similar projects? I really hope that there exists a similar project... This dictionary was just hilarious...!!!

Do you throw away any useful thing just because it seems not to work in the same way as it did yesterday? Not a good strategy ...

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:15
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Broken link Mar 12, 2015

When I click on the link provided, I get an error message:

404: Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server. The file may have been deleted, renamed or is temporarily not available.

Check and correct the link.

However, I fail to understand what is the reason of making a dictionary in Excel?

I use GoldenDict and make my custom dictionaries in the DSL format that is quite straightforward.

Tanja 1
Tanja 1
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do you throw away any useful thing just because it seems not to work? Mar 12, 2015

Rolf Keller wrote:

Do you throw away any useful thing just because it seems not to work in the same way as it did yesterday? Not a good strategy ...

No but I don't want to wait until it really doesn't work anymore - and then start looking for alternatives. Because that would mean losing time where it is not neccessary.

Tanja 1
Tanja 1
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
checked the link Mar 12, 2015

"Check and correct the link."

I did a research on Google (as the link where I previously downloaded this Excel-file doesn't work). I found this page: http://www.j-hennekes.de/1578666.htm
But there the link "download" doesn't work...

"However, I fail to understand what is the reason of making a dictionary in Excel?"

I would like to have a dictionary
... See more
"Check and correct the link."

I did a research on Google (as the link where I previously downloaded this Excel-file doesn't work). I found this page: http://www.j-hennekes.de/1578666.htm
But there the link "download" doesn't work...

"However, I fail to understand what is the reason of making a dictionary in Excel?"

I would like to have a dictionary where I'm able to enter terms and change them or add some additional information. (like for example the subject area when the term is used). This is something I wasn't able with the dictionaries I had tried out as they are static and not able to be changed

"I use GoldenDict and make my custom dictionaries in the DSL format that is quite straightforward."

I primarly would like to be able to look whether I used a term before (and in which context) and then - as a second step - look for different translations...

Thank you very much for your help.
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
DSL (again)? Mar 12, 2015

It’s a pity that the download link is dead, as your description odes not really explain what’s so great about that program. What you say, seems to be accomplishable by GoldenDict + DSL. A DSL file is basically a text file with some optional tags, thus, you can write there whatever you want (comments, examples of use).

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
The link DOES work Mar 12, 2015

From my German IP address the link does work, provided one deletes the wrong trailing ')' that is probably attached by ProZ.

I downloaded the software – it works.

But I don't understand why we are discussing alternatives instead of trying to get the existing software working again, in the first place. Probably any alternative software would not be able to import the existing large dictionary.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 01:15
English to Indonesian
+ ...
A CAT tool? Mar 12, 2015

esperantisto wrote:
It’s a pity that the download link is dead

The link does work here, but under OS X, there seem to be some problems.

But don't you think that what Tanja wants is offered by any CAT tool? "I primarly would like to be able to look whether I used a term before (and in which context) and then - as a second step - look for different translations. That's what you do with a TM, and in a number of cases, you can add notes as well.

Cheers,

Hans

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Link? Mar 12, 2015

Rolf Keller wrote:

I downloaded the software – it works.

Can you provide a download link that works for you?

[Edited at 2015-03-12 09:31 GMT]

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Found! Mar 12, 2015

It’s http://www.j-hennekes.de/Downloads/Woerterbuch.xls actually. And I confirm it to work in Excel 2010 under Windows 7 64-bit.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Just a tip Mar 12, 2015

Check you macro security settings and make sure the security level is no higher than average (or whatever it says) allowing to launch macros from unreliable sources, or lowest allowing to launch all macros.

Tanja 1
Tanja 1
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 12, 2015

esperantisto wrote:

It’s http://www.j-hennekes.de/Downloads/Woerterbuch.xls actually. And I confirm it to work in Excel 2010 under Windows 7 64-bit.

Wow, now I was able to save this file. Now I have to find out how to activate the Macros...

I can change the languages via mouse - but not with the keys - but well that isn't that important.

Thank you very much for all your help!

[Bearbeitet am 2015-03-12 13:55 GMT]

Tjasa Kuerpick
Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Good alternative suggestions Mar 12, 2015

First I would suggest, you just disable macros in Excel. I work with Excel everyday, but it may play some dirty tricks, if you are not careful.

If you do not want to spend any money, try my dictionary, which is free of charge. You may store your dictionary in text format (UTF-8), and add, edit words in text format. LINK: http://www.dicts.info/offline2.php Download ->Simple dictionary appl
... See more
First I would suggest, you just disable macros in Excel. I work with Excel everyday, but it may play some dirty tricks, if you are not careful.

If you do not want to spend any money, try my dictionary, which is free of charge. You may store your dictionary in text format (UTF-8), and add, edit words in text format. LINK: http://www.dicts.info/offline2.php Download ->Simple dictionary applications
Just copy the excel table into Notepad and save under its map Data. Open the software and start searching. The good thing here is, you may add as many bilingual data files as you like, there is no restriction.

Or use TLTerm, which is not free, but you may add and edit terms while translating:
Link: http://tshwanedje.com/ Download: tlTerm Terminology Management and Editing Software (you may try it out). It is a professional termbase software, supporting multi-user or standalone termbases. It gives instant access to terminology in Microsoft Word.
And the support service is excellent and highly recommended.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

dictionaries - expandable by the user?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »