Mariano Saab
Mariano Saab
Argentina
Local time: 12:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 27, 2015

Hi all,

Hope you can help me. I received a .docx file for translation. It has 6 Excel spreadsheets inserted in the Word file, which I can edit by double-clicking each sheet. Is there any way to export those spreadsheets to Excel so I can import them to a CAT Tool? The sheets have hundreds of repeated terms so it would significantly save me a lot of time to translate them.

I tried converting the .docx to PDF and then exporting it to Excel but the format is messed up. I'v
... See more
Hi all,

Hope you can help me. I received a .docx file for translation. It has 6 Excel spreadsheets inserted in the Word file, which I can edit by double-clicking each sheet. Is there any way to export those spreadsheets to Excel so I can import them to a CAT Tool? The sheets have hundreds of repeated terms so it would significantly save me a lot of time to translate them.

I tried converting the .docx to PDF and then exporting it to Excel but the format is messed up. I've also OCR'd the file with ABBY but, again, the format is not so good. I've asked the client for the original Excel sheets but they don't have them.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much in advance.
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:40
French to English
Right click and open/edit Jan 27, 2015

As mentioned here

htt
... See more
As mentioned here

http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/182828-extracting_embedded_excel_files_from_word_document.html

or here

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/403445-extracting-embedded-excel-word-document.html
Collapse

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:40
German to English
Copy and paste? Jan 27, 2015

Hi Mariano,

In the table in Word click in one cell to activate it and use CTRL+A to select everything in the table, Press Ctrl+C to copy the data and then go to cell A1 in Excel, press Ctrl+V to paste it into Excel. If you want to put several tables into one Excel spreadsheet, leave a blank line after the last line of the last table pasted, stay in column A and repeat the process above.

You didn't say which CAT tool you are using, but SDL Studio deals with the tables in
... See more
Hi Mariano,

In the table in Word click in one cell to activate it and use CTRL+A to select everything in the table, Press Ctrl+C to copy the data and then go to cell A1 in Excel, press Ctrl+V to paste it into Excel. If you want to put several tables into one Excel spreadsheet, leave a blank line after the last line of the last table pasted, stay in column A and repeat the process above.

You didn't say which CAT tool you are using, but SDL Studio deals with the tables in situ in the Word document and can also localise numbers, currency, etc.

HTH

Regards
Ben
Collapse

Mariano Saab
Mariano Saab
Argentina
Local time: 12:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Lori and Ben Jan 27, 2015

Thank you both for your all help!

On Lori's second link there is a way to locate the embedded objects. I am using memoQ 2013 R2, but I think the filter configuration for embedded Excel objects is only available in memoQ 2014 (unless somebody knows how to do it in my version of memoQ).

Thanks again, you have helped me a lot!

[Edited at 2015-01-27 15:19 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Excel spreadsheets embedded in Word file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »