Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:11
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 2, 2015

Hello, I am translating a text using Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 and wanted to use the Auto Completion function. With this is a feature, users are able to press a set key (tab, enter, etc.) to put words on the text rather than typing them. This is, the text processor predicts them according to what users have written.

But I could not use it even if I had translated several pages. Then I noticed something weird. There's a window in menu Tools >> Auto Correction options... and in its
... See more
Hello, I am translating a text using Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 and wanted to use the Auto Completion function. With this is a feature, users are able to press a set key (tab, enter, etc.) to put words on the text rather than typing them. This is, the text processor predicts them according to what users have written.

But I could not use it even if I had translated several pages. Then I noticed something weird. There's a window in menu Tools >> Auto Correction options... and in its upper part there was my language , Spanish(Mexican), but it was disabled. The box designed to show all the collected words was empty! I was not able to enable it, why? What should I to activate it? I want to know

Fortunately, I selected the whole text and applied the Spanish(Spain) language and the Auto Completion function worked. And the box has lots of collected words!

I can't understand the discrimination of my language variant.

Thank you in advancement for your help.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:11
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Post to OOo forum instead Jan 2, 2015

Yaotl Altan wrote:
There's a window in menu Tools >> Auto Correction options... and in its upper part there was my language , Spanish (Mexican), but it was disabled. ... Fortunately, I selected the whole text and applied the Spanish(Spain) language and the Auto Completion function worked. And the box has lots of collected words!

There is a dedicated forum for OpenOffice here:
https://forum.openoffice.org/
Did you ask those guys? Don't use the word "discrimination", though. Just say that you're struggling to enable it.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:11
Russian to English
+ ...
I do not think it is discrimination --it is an almost free software: Jan 2, 2015

free, or very low cost, so people should rather be thankful that it exists at all. It is a very good software program for the English language. I used to have it on one computer plus it was created through a cultural project by our Native American people which has mede it even more interesting and inspiring--this is mostly why I got it.

[Edited at 2015-01-02 10:41 GMT]

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:11
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right Jan 2, 2015

Lilian, Samuel:

Yes, you are right. I think "discrimination" is not a proper word in this context. Sorry for this, and sorry, OpenOffice.

Yes, I've been using it since 2008 and all the OO suite is very good.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto Completion

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »