boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:37
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 25, 2014

Hi,

I have a compatibility pack installed. Up until recent, it worked without any problems. Two days ago, Word stopped working with docx files, it cannot open even those files that it would open before.
I have already tried to reinstall the pack and to register OLE32.dll. Nothing works.

I would appreciate any advice except a recommendation to install Office 2013 monster.

Thank you in advance.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:37
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Alternative applications Aug 25, 2014

boostrer wrote:

Hi,

I have a compatibility pack installed. Up until recent, it worked without any problems. Two days ago, Word stopped working with docx files, it cannot open even those files that it would open before.
I have already tried to reinstall the pack and to register OLE32.dll. Nothing works.

I would appreciate any advice except a recommendation to install Office 2013 monster.

Thank you in advance.

Have you tried alternative free open-source applications, such as LibreOffice?

boostrer
boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:37
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2 Tom Aug 25, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

Have you tried alternative free open-source applications, such as LibreOffice?

Hi,

I can open these files in Wordpad and OpenOffice, but I often need to work in MS Word, so this is not a good solution.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 17:37
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I have had similar problems Aug 25, 2014

though not recently. And across the whole of Office too.

I re-installed the compatibility pack, and after a time, everything seemed to go back to normal again, though I was never quite clear which of the things I did really made the difference!

While I was experiencing these difficulties, I used the workaround suggested by Tom in London, using OpenOffice to open the .docx files, then saving them out of that again in the .doc format — though be warned, I have in the pa
... See more
though not recently. And across the whole of Office too.

I re-installed the compatibility pack, and after a time, everything seemed to go back to normal again, though I was never quite clear which of the things I did really made the difference!

While I was experiencing these difficulties, I used the workaround suggested by Tom in London, using OpenOffice to open the .docx files, then saving them out of that again in the .doc format — though be warned, I have in the past encountered some formatting problems with OO, on doc files with relatively complex formatting, which got corrupted merely by opening and closing the doc again. So best to try it first on a copy of your source file
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:37
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Docx to Doc Converter Aug 25, 2014

There is software available on the web which you can download, or there are sites where you can convert online.
I use software called Docx to Doc Converter, downloadable from:
http://docx-to-doc-converter.software.informer.com/download/
There is a free version but I paid $29.95 for the full version.
It almost always works well, but on rare occasions I h
... See more
There is software available on the web which you can download, or there are sites where you can convert online.
I use software called Docx to Doc Converter, downloadable from:
http://docx-to-doc-converter.software.informer.com/download/
There is a free version but I paid $29.95 for the full version.
It almost always works well, but on rare occasions I have had to find another way of making the conversion.
Collapse

Gamze Sari Yucel
Gamze Sari Yucel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:37
English to Turkish
+ ...
Hope this works Aug 25, 2014

Have you tried starting Word 2003 first, then opening the DOCX file by double-clicking on it from your file manager?

Phillcollins
Phillcollins
United States
Repair Corrupt MS Word File Dec 2, 2014

MS Word application provides a platform to create various types of documents. This application used to create normal documents, official documents, business reports, letters, resumes, content development, etc. But there are so many factors by which a Word file may get corrupted or damaged, such as: virus infection on files or drive, collision of software programs, unfinished saving of files, improper termination of the MS Word program, crash in system hard drive and sometimes human errors. If th... See more
MS Word application provides a platform to create various types of documents. This application used to create normal documents, official documents, business reports, letters, resumes, content development, etc. But there are so many factors by which a Word file may get corrupted or damaged, such as: virus infection on files or drive, collision of software programs, unfinished saving of files, improper termination of the MS Word program, crash in system hard drive and sometimes human errors. If this happen with you and need to repair corrupt word file than go to article by using the mention below:

http://datarecoveryblogger.blogspot.in/2014/06/word-file-is-corrupted-reasons-and.html
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003 cannot open docx files anymore

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »