Converting multiple .bak files to .doc files or any other file extension you desire
Thread poster: ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 14:27
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 30, 2012

Converting multiple .bak files to .doc files or any other file extensions you desire

Hello,

Have you ever wanted to convert a specific file extension to another extension doing that on multiple files automatically without resorting to any specific software?

Here is how to do that:

Window:

- Start>>Run or (Win+R)
- cmd
- go to the folder that contains all .bak files (it is recommended to copy/paste them in a single folde
... See more
Converting multiple .bak files to .doc files or any other file extensions you desire

Hello,

Have you ever wanted to convert a specific file extension to another extension doing that on multiple files automatically without resorting to any specific software?

Here is how to do that:

Window:

- Start>>Run or (Win+R)
- cmd
- go to the folder that contains all .bak files (it is recommended to copy/paste them in a single folder to save time repeating the process).

You can go to that folder using MS Dos command “cd”. For example, if you have a folder names “bak to doc” on drive C, you can do as follows from MS Dos command:

C: [press enter]
cd bak to doc [press enter]
ren *.bak *.doc [press enter]

Please consider spaces when using above commands.

Done

Note: you can replace .bak & .doc with any other extensions you like paying attention to compatibility issue.

Kind regards
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 13:27
English to German
It's not that easy May 2, 2012

ahmadwadan.com wrote:

C: [press enter]
cd bak to doc [press enter]
ren *.bak *.doc [press enter]

In many cases this example will not work. Step #1 switches to the current default path of drive C: If this path happens to be C:\, it works. But modern Windows versions often use a different default path. So you'll need one or more additionally "cd ..[enter]" commands oder a full path (\bak to doc).

Apart of that, a safely-configured Windows installation does not allow normal users to write to C:\. So you have to open an Administrator window first.

ahmadwadan.com
Saudi Arabia
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works for the majority of users May 3, 2012

Rolf Keller wrote:
Apart of that, a safely-configured Windows installation does not allow normal users to write to C:\. So you have to open an Administrator window first.

Dear Rolf,

You have a point in this. However, this is not the most common case. I believe the majority of freelance users own their PCs and have administrator's privileges on them.

Lets assume your input "a safely-configured Windows installation does not allow normal users to write to C:\"

The solution in this case is very easy, just put your files within any folder under "My Documents" and it shall work. I tried this with success, unless the cmd command is locked within corporate.

Thank you for pointing out the case of C:\ and administrator's privilage.

Kind regards

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 13:27
English to German
The procedure works but the recipe's steps are not ok May 4, 2012

ahmadwadan.com wrote:

You have a point in this. However, this is not the most common case. I believe the majority of freelance users own their PCs and have administrator's privileges on them.

Of course they have admin privileges. But normally they are logged in as non-admins. So, your recipe will produce error messages only. That was the fact I wanted to point out.

We are in 2012. People who are logged in as an admin during their daily work are computer-illiterates and thus will not be able to benefit from your hints.

The solution in this case is very easy, just put your files within any folder under "My Documents" and it shall work.

You forgot the path problem I stated.

Let me put it clear:
Your proposed procedure is generally ok, but if one exactly follows the steps in your recipe, he or she will get into trouble. Most translators have never seen the Cmd window before. I don't think they will know anything about the necessary "cd .." command.

ahmadwadan.com
Saudi Arabia
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 8, 2012

Thank you Rolf for addition.

Kind regards

Letitia E. Lazar
Letitia E. Lazar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:27
English to Romanian
+ ...
Alternative software May 12, 2012

I use a free tool called ReNamer, where after setting the rules, they can be applied for changing the name or the extension of more files at once.

ahmadwadan.com
Saudi Arabia
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 14, 2012

Thank you Cazimi.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting multiple .bak files to .doc files or any other file extension you desire

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »