Thread poster: Eyob Fitwi
Eyob Fitwi
Eyob Fitwi  Identity Verified
Ethiopia
Local time: 13:03
English to Amharic
+ ...
Apr 1, 2011

I like LibreOffice (the successor of OpenOffice.org) and would prefer to work with it over MS Office anytime. However, I've come across a font compatibility problem.

There is no problem when I type in English, but there is when in Amharic. When I type Amharic in LibreOffice and save it in .doc format, MS Word would display the text but I'll have problems manipulating the Regulay, Bold, Italic and BoldItalic. Vice versa, however, any text written in MS Word will be edited normally in
... See more
I like LibreOffice (the successor of OpenOffice.org) and would prefer to work with it over MS Office anytime. However, I've come across a font compatibility problem.

There is no problem when I type in English, but there is when in Amharic. When I type Amharic in LibreOffice and save it in .doc format, MS Word would display the text but I'll have problems manipulating the Regulay, Bold, Italic and BoldItalic. Vice versa, however, any text written in MS Word will be edited normally in LibreOffice. The inconvenience I face here is that, as you know, most users use MS Word, and they may face problems editing what I wrote in LibreOffice.

Someone told me its because current Amharic fonts are constructed only in Regular mode and the Bold, Italic and BoldItalic are effected through 'software forcing'. (This shows MS Office' lesser capacity, but its monopoly doesn't help much).

My question is, is there a way I can go around this minor but consequential (since it forces me to either use MS Word for typing Amharic or go through a process of copying all the text into a text file and copying them again into MS Word with all formatting lost) problem?
Collapse

Eyob Fitwi
Ethiopia
English to Amharic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
minor font incompatibility between MS Office and OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice Apr 4, 2011

Hey, I would really appreciate if someone would help me with this problem.

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:03
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
LibreOffice, OpenOffice, MS Office Apr 4, 2011

Eyob,

I saw your posting a few days ago; since I am also a regular user of OpenOffice from its very beginning, in some way I might be competent to reply to you. My knowledge ranges up to OOo only, as well as up to MS Office.

Several issues:

- doc format? What happens with rtf in LibreOffice? Can you "sell" it as a format to your clients?

- doc format is not fully supported in OOo. The need for full support is already subset by newer formats.... See more
Eyob,

I saw your posting a few days ago; since I am also a regular user of OpenOffice from its very beginning, in some way I might be competent to reply to you. My knowledge ranges up to OOo only, as well as up to MS Office.

Several issues:

- doc format? What happens with rtf in LibreOffice? Can you "sell" it as a format to your clients?

- doc format is not fully supported in OOo. The need for full support is already subset by newer formats.

- the rule for a translator would be not to fiddle too much with conversions to and from, from and to. So, this rule implies some discipline, which is costly, i.e. expensive. In my case, it costs me MS Office on Mac, and MS Office on PC. All that, besides my dear OOo, with its limitations.

- Could you stay within MS Word only, and why not?

- Can you suggest odt format to clients?

- In case you have MS Word only, it can be an economic, reliable solution.

- The cost of purchase of some extra software, like MS Word of newest generation, or MS Office, can be partially overcome with use of other open applications. Did you try working in Linux under OOo or LibreOffice?

- Open (free) CAT like OmegaT, can help you much in compensation of purchasing costs for the remaining software.

Meanwhile, some discipline with word editors is really necessary, in order to furnish a correct translation to clients.

Have success with any of this, or in any other way, Dragomir

Eyob Fitwi wrote:

There is no problem when I type in English, but there is when in Amharic. When I type Amharic in LibreOffice and save it in .doc format, MS Word would display the text but I'll have problems manipulating the Regulay, Bold, Italic and BoldItalic. Vice versa, however, any text written in MS Word will be edited normally in LibreOffice. The inconvenience I face here is that, as you know, most users use MS Word, and they may face problems editing what I wrote in LibreOffice.

Someone told me its because current Amharic fonts are constructed only in Regular mode and the Bold, Italic and BoldItalic are effected through 'software forcing'. (This shows MS Office' lesser capacity, but its monopoly doesn't help much).

My question is, is there a way I can go around this minor but consequential (since it forces me to either use MS Word for typing Amharic or go through a process of copying all the text into a text file and copying them again into MS Word with all formatting lost) problem?
Collapse

Eyob Fitwi
Ethiopia
English to Amharic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it appears i have limited options Apr 5, 2011

rtf format; that sounds like the best alternative so far, though i'll have to check out the font issues first.

I could stay with MS Word but i pretty much prefer libreoffice. i like its simplicity and handy features.

anyway, i'll try out these suggestions. thanks for ur reply.

Eyob Fitwi
Ethiopia
English to Amharic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Seems there is a solution Apr 6, 2011

It looks like working with either rtf or docx will overcome the incompatible font issue. All i have to do is ask them to accept either format, which i don't think will be that difficult.

Good point about not fiddling too much with conversions, though the fonts can be so problematic that i'm usually asked to submit a pdf format.

Thanks a lot!

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:03
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
very good, Eyob, but Apr 7, 2011

very good, Eyob, but pay attention to a fact that docx format is not so well supported in LibreOffice or OpenOffice. It is a proprietary MS format. So, if you jump into a newest kind of format, like this one and other from its group (MS Open XML, then you are obliged to move within MS Office, and your clients as well, in order to see complex docx files correctly.

Since rtf format is widelly used in IT world, in order not to push too much onto your clients' softwares, better suggest
... See more
very good, Eyob, but pay attention to a fact that docx format is not so well supported in LibreOffice or OpenOffice. It is a proprietary MS format. So, if you jump into a newest kind of format, like this one and other from its group (MS Open XML, then you are obliged to move within MS Office, and your clients as well, in order to see complex docx files correctly.

Since rtf format is widelly used in IT world, in order not to push too much onto your clients' softwares, better suggest usage of it (rtf).

However, a good thing is presenting translation in PDF, as you do often. In LibreOfice/OpenOffice choose PDF/A-1a format, and check well other options.

Best regards, Dragomir

Eyob Fitwi wrote:

It looks like working with either rtf or docx will overcome the incompatible font issue. All i have to do is ask them to accept either format, which i don't think will be that difficult.

Good point about not fiddling too much with conversions, though the fonts can be so problematic that i'm usually asked to submit a pdf format.

Thanks a lot!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

minor font incompatibility between MS Office and OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »