Anna Marchesi
Anna Marchesi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:09
German to Italian
+ ...
Oct 11, 2010

Hi everyone,
I'd need a little help in translating a ppt file.
For this translation unfortunately I cannot use a CAT tool, so I am translating directly on a copy of the source file overwriting the translation in the text boxes. The only problem is that the language is set as German and every time I type an apostrophe it is "looks" in the wrong direction. So each time I have to manually select the word with the apostrophe and change the language setting clicking on the status bar.... See more
Hi everyone,
I'd need a little help in translating a ppt file.
For this translation unfortunately I cannot use a CAT tool, so I am translating directly on a copy of the source file overwriting the translation in the text boxes. The only problem is that the language is set as German and every time I type an apostrophe it is "looks" in the wrong direction. So each time I have to manually select the word with the apostrophe and change the language setting clicking on the status bar.
Is there any way I can change the language for every text box in the whole document once and for all?
Thank you very much,
Anna
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Utility Oct 11, 2010

Our colleague Terry Richards has a very useful little macro for globally changing the language of a PPT; may I suggest you contact him, and see if he would be kind enough to send it to you? It would possibly need adjusting for your specific language combinations.

BTW, have you tried extracting the text using Werecat? Even if you are not using a CAT tool, this is a very handy little utility for extracting all the text in a PPT and allowing you to translate it in the much more transla
... See more
Our colleague Terry Richards has a very useful little macro for globally changing the language of a PPT; may I suggest you contact him, and see if he would be kind enough to send it to you? It would possibly need adjusting for your specific language combinations.

BTW, have you tried extracting the text using Werecat? Even if you are not using a CAT tool, this is a very handy little utility for extracting all the text in a PPT and allowing you to translate it in the much more translator-friendly Word environment (including changing language!) and then put it all back in the right places!

Oops, sorry, I failed to notice that you're referring to PPT 2007; I only use Office XP, so I don't know what works or doesn't in 2007.

[Edited at 2010-10-11 15:52 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
changing language settings in ppt Oct 11, 2010

On the left side of the screen there are 2 columns: slides and outline.
1. Select outline.
2. Select all (ctrl+A)
3. Change Language (REview tab)

HTH

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
No CAT tool why Oct 11, 2010

I was wondering why you said you cant use a cat tool?

Anna Marchesi
Anna Marchesi  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 12, 2010

Thank you very much, problem solved!

To Alex: No CAT tool because on the PC I'm using for this translation there is only a demo version of MemoQ which has problems with Office 2007 files. It's not a long presentation anyway so I thought it was easier just to overwrite it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Power point 2007 - language settings

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »