Translating/viewing footnotes in Word 2007
Thread poster: Richard Robinson
Richard Robinson
Richard Robinson  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:55
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Mar 31, 2010

As far as I can see, in Word 2007 you can only see the footnotes in the "Page layout" or "Print" view. I remember in older versions of Word I could view just the footnotes alone, without the main text. This was ideal for translating them - especially with a CAT tool like Wordfast. But even without a CAT tool, I'm sure many people write in their own translations before deleting the source text. In page view this is VERY inconvenient when the footnote runs onto the next page - I often find myself ... See more
As far as I can see, in Word 2007 you can only see the footnotes in the "Page layout" or "Print" view. I remember in older versions of Word I could view just the footnotes alone, without the main text. This was ideal for translating them - especially with a CAT tool like Wordfast. But even without a CAT tool, I'm sure many people write in their own translations before deleting the source text. In page view this is VERY inconvenient when the footnote runs onto the next page - I often find myself with the source text at the bottom of page 5, and my translation at the bottom of page 6.

So please, is there still a way to view the footnotes alone? or even the footnotes all together, underneath the main text?
Collapse

Nellya Dyshlovaya
Nellya Dyshlovaya  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:55
English to Russian
Hi Apr 1, 2010

I am not an expert in Word 2007 but I have found an option. In Draft layout you double-click any footnote and this will open a separate footnote window under the main text. Another option - go to References (not sure about the correct name in English version of Word) and there, in Footnotes section there is a button called "Show footnotes", which opens separate footnote window.

Hope, this will help.

[Edited at 2010-04-01 05:20 GMT]

Richard Robinson
Richard Robinson  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:55
Hungarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks and a query Apr 1, 2010

Thanky you umcuz. Double clicking on a footnote in draft view works! Great.

But in the "References" section on the ribbon I have looked at and tested every button. I have "Insert footnote", "next footnote", and a couple about endnotes and comments. None of the buttons is called "show footnotes".

I'm using the home and school version of office but I don't _think_ this should make a difference. (Students need footnotes too...)

This just reinforces my prejudi
... See more
Thanky you umcuz. Double clicking on a footnote in draft view works! Great.

But in the "References" section on the ribbon I have looked at and tested every button. I have "Insert footnote", "next footnote", and a couple about endnotes and comments. None of the buttons is called "show footnotes".

I'm using the home and school version of office but I don't _think_ this should make a difference. (Students need footnotes too...)

This just reinforces my prejudices against the ribbon - I've been using it for a year and still find in difficult to make it work efficiently for me.

For the moment I will double click, and when my wrist aches I'll come back to see if there are other solutions.

[Edited at 2010-04-01 07:11 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating/viewing footnotes in Word 2007

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »