Track changes - Word 2007
Thread poster: Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:00
French to English
Sep 17, 2008

I never use track changes... but I was asked to do so for a short revision job earlier today. I have the French version of Word 2007.

I was working with the file in "compatibility" mode, as I always do, and when I clicked on the "track changes" button, I got a little "infobulle" that seemed to suggest that because I was in compatibility mode, I couldn't use all the features. I was advised to save as docx before activating track changes. I get the impression that there is a back com
... See more
I never use track changes... but I was asked to do so for a short revision job earlier today. I have the French version of Word 2007.

I was working with the file in "compatibility" mode, as I always do, and when I clicked on the "track changes" button, I got a little "infobulle" that seemed to suggest that because I was in compatibility mode, I couldn't use all the features. I was advised to save as docx before activating track changes. I get the impression that there is a back compatibility problem?

Being totally unfamiliar with how track changes works, I ended up just putting my changes in "red" to be on the safe side. I hate fiddling around with new/unfamiliar things when I'm in a rush and need to focus on the job rather than on Microsoft...

So, my question is - if I use track changes in compatibility mode, will other parties using Word 2003 (or older) still be able to see my track changes?
Collapse

Félicien Sirois
Félicien Sirois
United States
Local time: 10:00
Italian to English
+ ...
Strange, no problems I've seen Sep 18, 2008

I work exclusively in the compatibility mode as well and have been submitting redlined (changes tracked) documents to my clients since installing Office 2007 with no problems. I have never received this warning message (I have for other things but not this).

As far as I can tell, there should be no problem with others seeing your changes in any of the prior versions of Word.

Could it be that this is one of Microsoft's "first warning" messages and then you don't get it a
... See more
I work exclusively in the compatibility mode as well and have been submitting redlined (changes tracked) documents to my clients since installing Office 2007 with no problems. I have never received this warning message (I have for other things but not this).

As far as I can tell, there should be no problem with others seeing your changes in any of the prior versions of Word.

Could it be that this is one of Microsoft's "first warning" messages and then you don't get it again? I seem to recall the messages I've gotten in the past being generic in nature.

In other words, they might just be a general hint or tip to encourage the use of all of 2007's features, and nothing more.

I hope that helps!

Felicien
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 11:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Shouldn't be a problem. Sep 18, 2008

I use "track changes" regularly, almost always in Compatibility Mode, since most of my clients don't have Word 2007. I have seen, more than once, the message you describe. I always ignore it and, as far as I know, my clients (and students) have always been able to read my comments.

It's just a sales pitch disguised as a warning, IMO.

ilija5150
ilija5150
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Go ahead Sep 18, 2008

I would use track changes in compatibility mode without worrying about it. I do not think that track changes is such a complex function that some of the features would not be retained in your .doc version.

If you're really worried about it, you should always make a back up copy of the original unchanged document. You could always merge/compare the documents later.

Cheers

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 19, 2008

Thanks everyone, I won't be afraid to use it next time

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Track changes - Word 2007

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »