Thread poster: Steven Smith
Steven Smith
Steven Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:11
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
Apr 21, 2008

Is it possible to put a diagonal split in a cell in a table in Word (2003)? I have to recreate some tables where the top left cell has this sort of split, and I can't believe it's not possible in Word but so far I haven't found any way of doing it.

Thanks.

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:11
French to English
Oh yes you can! Apr 21, 2008

Yes, it is possible.

Once you've created your table, go to the top-left cell. Then select "Borders and Shading" from the "Format" menu. Go to the "Borders" tab. On the right side of the dialogue box (Preview), select "Cell" (or Table) in the "Apply to:" field and two of the buttons around the preview should feature diagonal lines.

Hope that helps,

Simon

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 04:11
English to Greek
+ ...
Yes, it is possible Apr 21, 2008

I opened the Table toolbar and used the pull-down icon which sets the appearance of the borders and the grid of the table (forgive me, my Word is Greek and I do not know exactly what it is called in English). Then, I used the pencil tool to drag a diagonal line in the cell.

I am sending you a file containing a screenshot of Word, showing (in pink, on the lower toolbar) the icon I am talking about. I hope this will help you, even though it is in Greek.

Best regards,
... See more
I opened the Table toolbar and used the pull-down icon which sets the appearance of the borders and the grid of the table (forgive me, my Word is Greek and I do not know exactly what it is called in English). Then, I used the pencil tool to drag a diagonal line in the cell.

I am sending you a file containing a screenshot of Word, showing (in pink, on the lower toolbar) the icon I am talking about. I hope this will help you, even though it is in Greek.

Best regards,
E.
Collapse

Steven Smith
Steven Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:11
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 21, 2008

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. This works visually, but doesn't actually split the cell for purposes of entering text. If you want text in the top right and bottom left you have to use spacing and paragraphs. Still, I can manage. Thanks very much.

Joachim Kolb
Joachim Kolb  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:11
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
split the cell & make the lines invisible Apr 21, 2008

You can split the cell in which you want to place the item at a certain point and then make the lines within that cell invisible.
For splitting the cell, you use table/split cells.
For making the internal partition invisible, you go to table/table properties, then select borders& shading and play around a little bit. That should do the job.

Tom51
Tom51
Australia
Diagnoally Splitting Cell Nov 12, 2014

The answers given so far, give the appearance of the cell being split but do not in fact split the cell in to two discrete areas. I am trying to do the same things and want to split as I am using in a matrix and want to insert two titles with different fill in each right angle shaped cell.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

splitting table cells diagonally in Word

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »