Thread poster: Laurie Draï
Laurie Draï
Laurie Draï
Argentina
Local time: 14:16
Spanish to French
+ ...
Mar 4

After many astonishments, I just would like to express my big discontent and concern about the ridiculous rates proposed to freelancers by some linguistic services agencies.
I live in a "developing country" but, out of respect for my regular clients and for my peers, I consider it's a real shame to accept these rates, no matter the needs I have.
I hope we'll be able to value our beautiful profession, and won't let this scary trend be accepted.
Thanks for the attention!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Zea_Mays
Christel Zipfel
Ildiko Santana
expressisverbis
Gabriele Metzler
edna escalante

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:16
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Laurie Mar 4

I'm with you, but the problem lies as much on the agencies that propose those ridiculous agencies as on the translators that are willing to accept peanuts. By way of example, to an agency that on LinkedIn posted that they will be paying 0.015 USD per word for a very special MTPE project two translators called it a “good opportunity”…

Laurie Draï
Ildiko Santana
expressisverbis
Gabriele Metzler
edna escalante
Philip Lees
Livia Duarte

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Indecent" offers Mar 4

Last week, an agency I won't name here contacted me for an urgent translation...
I replied saying I was available and told them my rate. A few hours later, I received a message saying the job had been assigned to another translator.
At 9pm, 11pm and 2am I received three email messages saying that "there had been a confusion with the translator" and they now needed me to translate 1800 words for €0.04 per word. I read these emails in the next morning.
It's not often that I rep
... See more
Last week, an agency I won't name here contacted me for an urgent translation...
I replied saying I was available and told them my rate. A few hours later, I received a message saying the job had been assigned to another translator.
At 9pm, 11pm and 2am I received three email messages saying that "there had been a confusion with the translator" and they now needed me to translate 1800 words for €0.04 per word. I read these emails in the next morning.
It's not often that I reply to such "barbarity", but this time I confess I was annoyed.
This year, I can say that I've received emails with more "indecent" offers than usual.
The solution is to reject these humiliating and disrespectful rates. The only problem is that many so-called translators accept them.
Also, some agencies need to realise once and for all that translators are professionals like any other.
Collapse

Esther Dodo
Zea_Mays
edna escalante
Laurie Draï
Philip Lees
Lieven Malaise

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Meanwhile fast food workers in California make $20.00 per hour. Mar 5

https://apnews.com/article/california-minimum-wage-increase-fast-food-newsom-69c26b7f07f2647149c37677446cea30

[Edited at 2024-03-05 02:03 GMT]

Livia Duarte
Dan Lucas
expressisverbis
polishedwords
JH Trads

Muhammad Nejati
Muhammad Nejati
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Inappropriate rates Mar 5

As far as rates are concerned, I believe that the reason for the commonly low payments lies with the too low-expecting translators involved in different fields of translation who not only denigrate the value of their own works but those of workmates. I suggest that they should be advised not to underestimate their works.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Thayenga

Livia Duarte
Livia Duarte
Switzerland
Local time: 19:16
Member (Mar 2024)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Matter of perspective. Low quotes for who? Mar 5

I agree very much with the previous comments. The translation field, like any other field of knowledge, needs to be properly valued. Experienced translators should position themselves as such, have confidence in their abilities, and refuse proposals with unreasonable payments. However, I believe that the translation field, like all other areas of knowledge, should establish boundaries and categorize certain positions. A novice translator, much like a trainee, needs to find opportunities to devel... See more
I agree very much with the previous comments. The translation field, like any other field of knowledge, needs to be properly valued. Experienced translators should position themselves as such, have confidence in their abilities, and refuse proposals with unreasonable payments. However, I believe that the translation field, like all other areas of knowledge, should establish boundaries and categorize certain positions. A novice translator, much like a trainee, needs to find opportunities to develop their skills. These individuals are often willing to translate texts for free, simply for the opportunity to work on a project. This is also not right. Companies that offer low rates should also be aware that the final work will not be of the highest quality and will likely be done by someone with little experience. Perhaps they are already aware of this, and if they accept the conditions, then both parties benefit. I think we need to also be realistic, humble, and honest about our abilities and the work we offer.Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Livia Mar 5

My advice to an inexperienced translator in order to make a career is to charge at least an average rate per word and either spend hours and hours polishing their work, or to pay a proofreader or a mentor. A beginner will not get ahead in this industry by delivering a sub-standard translation...

Lieven Malaise
Zea_Mays
Anne Maclennan
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
ibz
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About the rates proposed by some translation agencies

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »