Translation for Dubbing - Rates per minute?
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Rebekka Hay
Rebekka Hay
Rebekka Hay
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Local time: 12:11
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Jun 8, 2018

Hello, does anyone know if there are minimum rates per minute or what the standard rate per minute should be? The client refuses to pay per word count and pays a rate of USD 2.50 per minute runtime. There are a lot of short episodes of 11 minutes each, I end up with USD 33.00 per episode. This seems quite low for me, I spend about 3 hours per episode, but I would like to know what everyone else thinks before I challenge those rates. Thanks so much.
PS: Language is US-En to German.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Local time: 13:11
Lid 2009
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Rate dumping Jun 11, 2018

RHay wrote:
...and pays a rate of USD 2.50 per minute runtime. There are a lot of short episodes of 11 minutes each, I end up with USD 33.00 per episode. This seems quite low for me, I spend about 3 hours per episode...

Well, USD 2.50 is much too low for this type of labor intensive work. Triple that amount, and you could start working on the projects.

mughwI
Octavio Fajardo

Rebekka Hay
Rebekka Hay
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Local time: 12:11
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Thanks so much. Jun 11, 2018

Thayenga wrote:

RHay wrote:
...and pays a rate of USD 2.50 per minute runtime. There are a lot of short episodes of 11 minutes each, I end up with USD 33.00 per episode. This seems quite low for me, I spend about 3 hours per episode...

Well, USD 2.50 is much too low for this type of labor intensive work. Triple that amount, and you could start working on the projects.

Jiaying Ma
Jiaying Ma
Australië
Local time: 21:11
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
One way to figure out the rate Jun 12, 2018

You can calculate how much you get paid hourly if it's a translation job, and apply same hourly rate to the episode. If you need 3 hours to finish one episode, then 3 x your hourly rate, and then calculate the rate per minute by dividing the number by the total minutes of the episode.

Phoenix III

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Local time: 13:11
Lid 2009
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
My pleasure Jun 13, 2018

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation for Dubbing - Rates per minute?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »