What are minimum and maximum rates for localization?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 18:47
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 13, 2010

What are minimum and maximum rates for localization of software and web sites? Primarily for the language combination English into Swedish, but also for other language combinations such as Chinese into English. Is there any difference in price setting between software and web site localization?

Compared to regular translation jobs that don't required specialized tools, do localization projects generally generate a higher profit? Can I set the rates higher for software and web site l
... See more
What are minimum and maximum rates for localization of software and web sites? Primarily for the language combination English into Swedish, but also for other language combinations such as Chinese into English. Is there any difference in price setting between software and web site localization?

Compared to regular translation jobs that don't required specialized tools, do localization projects generally generate a higher profit? Can I set the rates higher for software and web site localizations compared to regular translation projects as I will have to use a special localization software such as SDL Passolo 2009 or Alchemy Catalyst 8.0?

So far, I've been translating as a freelancer, mainly manuals and user guides into Swedish and want to extend my specialization to include localization. I also study programming languages and UCSD (User-Centered Systems Design) which is focused on software development with C#.

Would it be possible for me to continue to work as a freelancer when I extend my business to include localization? Or are localization projects primarily performed in-house?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are minimum and maximum rates for localization?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »