Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Which CAT tool would you use for a big but not too fancy Web site ?
Thread poster: Maurice Devroye
Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:12
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
I don't get it... Aug 2, 2010

Tageditor works just fine, even for many links, so I don't know what the issue is. Ok, so it's not the nicest tool in the world, but I've translated quite a few websites with it - you just need to make sure that the tags are properly preserved. I never experienced any problems with links. To make sure I did not mess up, I simply copied the original link across and translated the anchor text - no huhu at all.

SDL Trados 2009 did away with Tageditor, but again, I did not have any spec
... See more
Tageditor works just fine, even for many links, so I don't know what the issue is. Ok, so it's not the nicest tool in the world, but I've translated quite a few websites with it - you just need to make sure that the tags are properly preserved. I never experienced any problems with links. To make sure I did not mess up, I simply copied the original link across and translated the anchor text - no huhu at all.

SDL Trados 2009 did away with Tageditor, but again, I did not have any special problems translating a web site when I used it a few months ago.

I've also tried Alchemy Catalyst, like Alexey proposes, and it's a good tool too, but too expensive for the amount of website translation that I get.... because most of the agencies don't know better and send me the site in Word!

In those cases where I had problems with websites it was not so much with the tool but rather with lousy website design such as embedded scripts in the html, text embedded in scripts and similar "goodies"...
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:12
English to Russian
+ ...
rainbow + horizon Aug 2, 2010

I would use these two great pieces of software from Enlaso which allow everyone not only to translate web sites but to enjoy the process of managing numerous files, making it a piece of cake.

http://www.translate.com/Language_Tech_Center/Tools/Tools_Archives.aspx

[Edited at 2010-08-02 21:03 GMT]

Maurice Devroye
Maurice Devroye
United States
Local time: 13:12
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
What Trados users are saying about the latest version Aug 5, 2010

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and recommendations. I had no idea there were so many tools available in the field of localization.

Regarding the Trados 2007/2009 upgrade, feel free to turn to this topic if you read French. The question raised is: one year or so after its launch, how popular is Trados Studio 2009 among freelancers?
... See more
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and recommendations. I had no idea there were so many tools available in the field of localization.

Regarding the Trados 2007/2009 upgrade, feel free to turn to this topic if you read French. The question raised is: one year or so after its launch, how popular is Trados Studio 2009 among freelancers?

Here is a summary of the answers.

1. Several colleagues who acquired Studio say they are keeping it in the closet and are not using it extensively.
2. One colleague says she likes the new functionalities so much that she resents having to go back to Workbench sometimes.
3. Other colleagues complain about the complexity of the tool, its lack of retro-compatibility and the poor performance of SDL’s customer service.

No mention so far of a big project or agency having deployed the full scope of Studio. So, it seems that the bilingual unclean files and the TTX format are going to stick around for a while longer. This would explain why the freelancers and the (very few?) agencies who have deployed Studio are asking SDL to develop filters to enable an easy interface between the 2007 and 2009 versions. For details, see the SDL Ideas page. And let’s stay tuned.
Collapse

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:12
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
I forgot... Aug 6, 2010

In my previous post recommending TagEditor I forgot a couple of problems that this tool has... in particular that it is impossible to edit the META tags with it, as well as for example PHP code that is embedded in the HTML. (TagEditor places the PHP code as a big "PHP" tag and blocks it, even if there is translatable text in it). After you generate the "target" html you still need to edit a few things "by hand".

I actually posted today an article on these flaws in my website transla
... See more
In my previous post recommending TagEditor I forgot a couple of problems that this tool has... in particular that it is impossible to edit the META tags with it, as well as for example PHP code that is embedded in the HTML. (TagEditor places the PHP code as a big "PHP" tag and blocks it, even if there is translatable text in it). After you generate the "target" html you still need to edit a few things "by hand".

I actually posted today an article on these flaws in my website translation blog (too big to discuss here). The post is titled Is Trados TagEditor adequate for website translation? .

SDL Trados 2009 has not solved this problem either, because META tags are just invisible, so post-editing is also essential.. I think it merits a post of its own.

Maurice, I read the thread you pointed out, but was surprised to see no mention at all about the use of SDL Studio 2009 to translate websites... keeping in mind what I say in the previous paragraph.

[Editado a las 2010-08-06 00:57 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tool would you use for a big but not too fancy Web site ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »