Newbie in website localization
Thread poster: transcyn1001
May 27, 2010

Hi everyone,

My name is Cynthia, who is trying to get into the translation field. Recently I kept sending emails for getting voluntary tasks.
Today I got a task to localize a website of a open-source program. Great chance to gain experience!
But I have a question: What program should I use to translate the webpages? There are just too many repeating terms!
Comments are welcome!

Cynthia

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:23
Member (2006)
French to English
Get a CAT tool May 27, 2010

My only experience is with Wordfast. If you try this, I would recommend WF Pro, not Classic. However, if you know little about websites, I recommend spending a couple of hours doing a crash course on html, etc. (lot of on-line references).

Good luck,
John

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
German to Spanish
+ ...
Newbie in website localization May 27, 2010

transcyn1001 wrote:

Hi everyone,

My name is Cynthia, who is trying to get into the translation field. Recently I kept sending emails for getting voluntary tasks.
Today I got a task to localize a website of a open-source program. Great chance to gain experience!
But I have a question: What program should I use to translate the webpages? There are just too many repeating terms!
Comments are welcome!

Cynthia

It depends if the page is static, dynamic and many other factors. If they are only plain html web pages, any modern CAT tool will do the job. However, for some more complex projects, I would recommend you to try with webbudget XT free trial form Aquino software.

[Editado a las 2010-05-27 12:18 GMT]

rma (X)
rma (X)
Open source CAT tool May 27, 2010

before testing any other tools, I would advise you to try out an open source CAT tool so that you understand how they work, what's the better translation workflow for you and what are the resources you need.
Omega T+ is a pretty good open source CAT-tool:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegatplus/

Chee
... See more
before testing any other tools, I would advise you to try out an open source CAT tool so that you understand how they work, what's the better translation workflow for you and what are the resources you need.
Omega T+ is a pretty good open source CAT-tool:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegatplus/

Cheers
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Try CatsCradle May 27, 2010

... from http://www.stormdance.net

You can download a time-limited demo. It has an internal CAT tool.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:23
French to English
+ ...
It really depends on the client's workflow May 27, 2010

There are really a number of ways to translate or localise a web site, depending partly on how the client wants to manage things.

For many web sites I've translated, we've just worked with Word files and then the client and their web company has handled uploading things, with me checking the site afterwards.

In other cases, it's been a question of logging directly into the client's content management system to paste in the translation directly into what is therefore a b
... See more
There are really a number of ways to translate or localise a web site, depending partly on how the client wants to manage things.

For many web sites I've translated, we've just worked with Word files and then the client and their web company has handled uploading things, with me checking the site afterwards.

In other cases, it's been a question of logging directly into the client's content management system to paste in the translation directly into what is therefore a browser-based system.

In some cases there are what are called "properties" files involved-- effectively a text file in a particular format, but fundamentally a text file.

In other cases, it's been easier to just manually edit the "raw" HTML or sometimes XML files in a text editor (you can do this in Word, notepad... it really doesn't matter).

And other ways too (converting XML/CSV files into Word files to pass out to other translators, then taking their translations and converting back again).

So there are various possible workflows depending on what the client wants-- the thing is to discuss it with them. I wouldn't personally have said that any of these routes particular relies on or is incompatible with a CAT tool, but I appreciate other people's mileage may vary.

P.S. Actually in one case, I had to ask a colleague to stop using their CAT tool (Wordfast in this case) because it was messing up the formatting of an XML file. So I'd be cautious of automatically making the connection between web sites and CAT tools...

[Edited at 2010-05-27 17:12 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie in website localization

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »