How does Passolo compare with other localization tools?
Thread poster: Eduardo García Soñanes
Eduardo García Soñanes
Eduardo García Soñanes
Mexico
Local time: 17:42
English to Spanish
Apr 19, 2010

Hello everyone,

I know there are many software localization tools. I'm trying to do a comparison. A client just asked me about Passolo and price and I would like to give her a better alternative. In your point of view what is the best tool?

Thanks in advance
Eduardo

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:42
English to Czech
+ ...
Passolo and others Apr 21, 2010

Hi Eduardo,
Passolo Essential is included in the SDL Trados Studio 2009 package. Although Passolo is not bad, I prefer RC WinTrans (www.schaudin.de): it integrates seamlessly with Trados 2007 and earlier and is extremely easy to use, i.e. the learning curve is pretty steep.

I should also mention that probably all current localization tools can now produce TMX files to update any translation memo
... See more
Hi Eduardo,
Passolo Essential is included in the SDL Trados Studio 2009 package. Although Passolo is not bad, I prefer RC WinTrans (www.schaudin.de): it integrates seamlessly with Trados 2007 and earlier and is extremely easy to use, i.e. the learning curve is pretty steep.

I should also mention that probably all current localization tools can now produce TMX files to update any translation memory.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Agree... Apr 21, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Passolo Essential is included in the SDL Trados Studio 2009 package. Although Passolo is not bad, I prefer RC WinTrans (www.schaudin.de): it integrates seamlessly with Trados 2007

Probably better than Passolo.
I had a lot of Trados connection crashes in Passolo.

and earlier and is extremely easy to use, i.e. the learning curve is pretty steep.

Agree.
I worked with both tools, I liked a lot RC-WinTrans but in the real life I worked mainly with Passolo (my customers use(d) mainly Passolo).

Take a look on Multilizer/Sisulizer too.
They're sensibly cheaper and quite good.

Forget about Catalyst, the first usable version starts from 4500 euro + VAT, AFAIR.

You should download trial versions and test 'em on your real cases.
It's really important.
E.g. 5-6 years ago, I did a research for one of my customers.
Only Passolo, Catalyst and RC-Wintrans were able to parse huge (approx. 1 MB) rc files.
All the remaining tools purchased without extensive tests would be unusable.

Cheers
GG

Eduardo García Soñanes
Eduardo García Soñanes
Mexico
Local time: 17:42
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the tips Stanislav and Grzegorz.

I'll try RC WinTrans. I have already used Passolo. Sisulizer looks interesting too, although some translators say it doesn't work well on huge files.

Best regards
Eduardo

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Licensing... dongle... Apr 22, 2010

Eduardo García Soñanes wrote:

Thanks for the tips Stanislav and Grzegorz.

I'll try RC WinTrans. I have already used Passolo. Sisulizer looks interesting too, although some translators say it doesn't work well on huge files.

And take a closer look to the licensing.
E.g. if you want a portable license, Passolo is still shipped with dongle which gives you an incomparable freedom to select the machine you want to use.
You can even setup a license server using the dongle.
It may have an impact on your choice.

BTW.
When a tool (or a version of a tool) doesn't handle updates and/or leveraging from the previous versions of the project, forget about it.
In the real life, IT projects evolve.
There are always last minute updates.
E.g. you can't handle it correctly in Catalyst Translator.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does Passolo compare with other localization tools?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »