Formatting problem with Typo3
Thread poster: wonita (X)
wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 18:43
Feb 17, 2010

Currently I am working on a localization project with Typo3, and have some problem with formatting.

After creating a copy to translate, even if I overwrite the original text, my translation does not have the exact format of the source file. The sentence break seems to be out of controll.

Has anybody ever worked with Typo3? Maybe you can give me some tips for translating with this tool.

Thank you in advance.
Bin

[Edited at 2010-02-17 11:0
... See more
Currently I am working on a localization project with Typo3, and have some problem with formatting.

After creating a copy to translate, even if I overwrite the original text, my translation does not have the exact format of the source file. The sentence break seems to be out of controll.

Has anybody ever worked with Typo3? Maybe you can give me some tips for translating with this tool.

Thank you in advance.
Bin

[Edited at 2010-02-17 11:02 GMT]
Collapse

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
Local time: 00:43
English to German
What is the process? Feb 17, 2010

Hello Bin,

please explain something about your localization process. Are you translating within the Typo3 interface or do you translate a file exported from a Typo3 repository. What kind of file?

Please note that there is a special Typo3 Extension called Localization Manager (l10nmgr) that allows clients to manage the localization of a
... See more
Hello Bin,

please explain something about your localization process. Are you translating within the Typo3 interface or do you translate a file exported from a Typo3 repository. What kind of file?

Please note that there is a special Typo3 Extension called Localization Manager (l10nmgr) that allows clients to manage the localization of a Typo3 website within Typo3 while translators are getting exported XML files. This extension also exports configuration files for various translation tools. Using this technology problems with segmentation should not occur.

Achim
Collapse

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
TOPIC STARTER
Translation is done on the interface Feb 17, 2010

Thank you for your answer, Achim.

The translation is done on the interface directly. I need to creat a copy to translate, then click on the "edite translation" button before I can work on the translation. The copy is well-formatted, and so should be my translation. Unfortunately, the sentences just break, where they should not. The HTML codes for the source text are shown below, so I don't really know what's wrong with my translation.

[Edited at 2010-02-17 13:0
... See more
Thank you for your answer, Achim.

The translation is done on the interface directly. I need to creat a copy to translate, then click on the "edite translation" button before I can work on the translation. The copy is well-formatted, and so should be my translation. Unfortunately, the sentences just break, where they should not. The HTML codes for the source text are shown below, so I don't really know what's wrong with my translation.

[Edited at 2010-02-17 13:07 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Elena Martinez
Maria Elena Martinez  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Spanish
+ ...
Typo3 Feb 17, 2010

Hi Bin,

I have been working with Typo3 and I had the same problem. What I've donde so far is to translate in Word and then write the translation over the content where possible, or copy from Word into Notepad and then pasting the paragraphs over the context in Typo3, before the end dot (I've done this because after the dot, the formatting may change and everything goes crazy.
I've spent a lot of hours, but it's the only way I found to solve the problem.
You may also get
... See more
Hi Bin,

I have been working with Typo3 and I had the same problem. What I've donde so far is to translate in Word and then write the translation over the content where possible, or copy from Word into Notepad and then pasting the paragraphs over the context in Typo3, before the end dot (I've done this because after the dot, the formatting may change and everything goes crazy.
I've spent a lot of hours, but it's the only way I found to solve the problem.
You may also get a lot of "span", you just have to delete them and be patient.

I hope this helps

[Edited at 2010-02-17 13:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-02-17 13:00 GMT]
Collapse

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
TOPIC STARTER
Underestimate the time for formatting Feb 17, 2010

Hi Maria,

Exactly. I find me spending more time formatting than translating.

Anyhow I will do it in Word, then paste the text back to Typo3. It's much more safer than doing it on the interface directly.The client is putting me in contact with her programmer. I will keep you informed if we find any solution to this problem.

Bin

[Edited at 2010-02-17 13:17 GMT]

Maria Elena Martinez
Maria Elena Martinez  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Bin Feb 17, 2010

Yes, I have spent hours and hours on it, but when I tried to paste it from Word, the fomatting was not right, that's why I copied it to Notepad and then pasted it from there.

Please, let me know if you find a better solution.

Maria Elena

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Feb 17, 2010

Mark all texts, then you will see the empty spaces after the last word. Now delete them, until the last word jumps to the line above it.

The unusual thing is, that you don't delete the empty spaces before the word, but after it.

Works well.

Best luck,
Bin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting problem with Typo3

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »