Thread poster: Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 28, 2009

Good morning!

I have been asked to localise a US website to the UK market, but the problem is that the files are of the PHP variety. I have figured out that I can just change the .php ending to .html and then I have a HTML file (that I should be able to change back to PHP) that I can use in TagEditor, but there is a lot of gobbledegook appearing on the screen. I do not know if it is safe to touch it, if I should use a program to convert the PHP to some other kind of file I can proce
... See more
Good morning!

I have been asked to localise a US website to the UK market, but the problem is that the files are of the PHP variety. I have figured out that I can just change the .php ending to .html and then I have a HTML file (that I should be able to change back to PHP) that I can use in TagEditor, but there is a lot of gobbledegook appearing on the screen. I do not know if it is safe to touch it, if I should use a program to convert the PHP to some other kind of file I can process in TagEditor, or if there is another workaround that would enable me to localise the files. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

Happy translating!

Paul
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:48
German to Spanish
Hm Jul 28, 2009

May I assume you have no idea of PHP or MySQL?

So, don't try to make something that you can not afford. Just ask the webmaster for files "can be/need to be" translated. Based on these files, fix your price and send back the translated files. This prevents any future "you forgot this or that, this was not necessary, etc.).

Regards

Fernando
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:48
English to French
The subject was raised a short time ago Jul 28, 2009

Have a look there:
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/107563-php_file_translation:_which_cat_to_use.html#1175831

Good luck,
Philippe

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:48
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Wordfast Jul 28, 2009

I've had no problem using Wordfast Classic with PHP files. With the source code pasted into a Word document, it processes the tags automatically. See www.wordfast.net for the manual and instructions. You can download the free trial which will work indefinitely for up to 500 TUs.

[Edited at 2009-07-28 13:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-07-28 13:47 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localising PHP files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »