Using Passolo, I see special characters (ex. "R&efresh") Is it necessary to include in target?
Thread poster: Tamer Mekhimar
Tamer Mekhimar
Tamer Mekhimar  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 17:51
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 7, 2009

Hello All;
When localizing software using Passolo, I see special characters like & in the source file for example R&efresh. I want to ask is it necessary to insert such character in the target language?
Thanks in advance.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-07 19:36 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
It looks like... Apr 7, 2009

... short-cut letter, e.g. ALT+R for menu item "Refresh". You need to know the exact letter used for a short-cut in the localized version of the menu.

Tamer Mekhimar
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more info Apr 7, 2009

Hi Leshchinsky
So you do not advise me to include such letters in the localized version. as I am I localizing into Arabic.
The client did not provide me with these shortcuts.
Regards,
Tamer

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:51
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
If you omit the shortcuts, that will be a functional problem Apr 7, 2009

Tamer,
First, you need to understand what those codes mean.
When you see R&efresh in the English text, that means the menu item will be displayed like this in the actual software:
Refresh (the e is underlined, this is called the shortcut key)
And that means you can activate the Refresh function in two ways:
1. You select this menu item using the mouse
2. Using the keyboard, you press the Alt key, and also press the "e" key
Both actions
... See more
Tamer,
First, you need to understand what those codes mean.
When you see R&efresh in the English text, that means the menu item will be displayed like this in the actual software:
Refresh (the e is underlined, this is called the shortcut key)
And that means you can activate the Refresh function in two ways:
1. You select this menu item using the mouse
2. Using the keyboard, you press the Alt key, and also press the "e" key
Both actions will perform the "Refresh" operation.
Therefore, if you omit the shortcut, you are reducing the functionality of the software user interface. You cannot do that without having the client understand it and agree to it.

I am not sure how Arabic works, but in order to use such shortcuts, you need to have the actual letters on the keyboard. If you have separate keys for each letter on an Arabic keyboard, then you can use the same technique, select one of the letters in your translated version of "Refresh" and put the & (ampersand) character in front of it (although I am not sure which side is "in front of" in Arabic. (Sorry for my ignorance.)
If this is not feasible, because the characters do not have their own keys, then you can keep the English shortcuts (I tell you in a second, how.)
This is common practice for example in Japanese, where there are no keys for each Kanji on the keyboard (there are many more Kanji then keys), and text is usually typed in by pronunciation then the word-processor converts them into Kanji.
So, the solution in that case is also keeping the original English shortcuts.

How do you do that?
Simple. Insert the original shortcut letter after the translation, in brackets, like this:
XYZABC (&e)
It will show up like this in the actual software:
XYZABC (e)

Of course, XYZABC is the translation for "Refresh".
Again, I am not sure what is customary in Arabic in terms of placing such shortcuts, whether it is on the left side or right side of the menu item. If Arabic is a right to left language, it would probably be on the left side (opposite of Latin-letter languages).

You may want to see how this is done in MS Word or other common software, that is localized into Arabic.

I hope this helps.
Katalin

[Módosítva: 2009-04-07 16:44 GMT]
Collapse

Tamer Mekhimar
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 7, 2009

Hello Katalin:
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.
It really helped me to deal with such symbols.
But another question, now as you told me I should place such letter (&) after the translation as in Refresh and the letter e will be underlined, but in the target lang if the letter e does not exist, how it will be underlined?

Again, accept my regards.

Tamer

[Edited at 2009-04-07 18:54 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What does the keyboard look like? Apr 7, 2009

Tamer,
Please follow my suggestion and check for example MS Word, if there is an Arabic version of it.
How do shortcuts work there?

How does the keyboard look like on an Arabic computer?
Does it have alphabet letters at all?
If not, is there a single letter (symbol) for each key? In other words, if you press just one key on the keyboard, would a single character appear on the screen, or do you have to press multiple keys to get a character?

Katal
... See more
Tamer,
Please follow my suggestion and check for example MS Word, if there is an Arabic version of it.
How do shortcuts work there?

How does the keyboard look like on an Arabic computer?
Does it have alphabet letters at all?
If not, is there a single letter (symbol) for each key? In other words, if you press just one key on the keyboard, would a single character appear on the screen, or do you have to press multiple keys to get a character?

Katalin
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Your client should have instructions Apr 7, 2009

You should normally ask the client for the shortcuts, although you can also recommend some. For example, if in Arabic versions of other software, the Refresh function is usually called by Alt + a certain character in the Arabic word for Refresh, then that is the character you should normally use.

It is very important that you check this with your client. As Katalin says, the software could lose significant functionality if this aspect of your localization project isn't handled prope
... See more
You should normally ask the client for the shortcuts, although you can also recommend some. For example, if in Arabic versions of other software, the Refresh function is usually called by Alt + a certain character in the Arabic word for Refresh, then that is the character you should normally use.

It is very important that you check this with your client. As Katalin says, the software could lose significant functionality if this aspect of your localization project isn't handled properly. Only your client can direct you on this.
Collapse

Tamer Mekhimar
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Arabic MS Apr 7, 2009

Unfortunately, I don' t have the Arabic version. As for the Arabic Keyboard, it has alphabet, but from my modest experience, I have never seen any Arabic combination to be used as shortcuts.

Thanks.

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
Local time: 09:51
English to German
Arabic Apr 8, 2009

An image of an Arabic keyboard can be found here:

http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboard_arabic.asp

As for the hot keys itself, contact the customer to see on how to go about it.

For example in Japanese the English hot keys are used.

A menu item would in this case be represented as follows:

Menu item in the language (Ho
... See more
An image of an Arabic keyboard can be found here:

http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboard_arabic.asp

As for the hot keys itself, contact the customer to see on how to go about it.

For example in Japanese the English hot keys are used.

A menu item would in this case be represented as follows:

Menu item in the language (Hotkey included at the end)

Example:

キャンセル(&C)

Uwe

[Bearbeitet am 2009-04-08 17:00 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Passolo, I see special characters (ex. "R&efresh") Is it necessary to include in target?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »