Off topic: Editing quotes
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:50
Dutch to English
Nov 15, 2011

What do you do when faced with a book you're supposed to edit full of quotes uttered by non-native, poor speakers of the language to journalists who are also non-native and poor speakers of the language they are writing in and who moreover obviously couldn't read their own shorthand afterwards so that the result is bordering on gobbledygook? Commit suicide?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Talk to your client Nov 15, 2011

And tell them what a gray zone you are entering when altering other people's quotes, which should be cited word for word.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Suicide is a little extreme Nov 15, 2011

and I tend to save it for cases like yours where in addition the client doesn't speak a language I understand. As this has not yet happened, I have not yet had to resort to this rather terminal approach to customer relations.;-)

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
If viable, consider changing the structure of the book... Nov 15, 2011

...so that as many of the direct quotes as possible are replaced by paraphrasing. This leaves you less susceptible to charges of misrepresentation and overly creative translating.

Yet another option would simply be to back out gracefully from a project that sounds like a thoroughly thankless task.

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Lighter side Nov 15, 2011

I put this in the 'lighter side' because it's not quite as bad as it sounds, and I've nearly finished it (before people kindly start offering me professional advice). Although the characters in this drama are really non-native, poor speakers of the target language (yes, there's a source language too, but that's another story), the subject matter was also so simple and mundane that it wasn't hard to decipher what the interviewee meant and what the journalist thought he meant, and the resultant tr... See more
I put this in the 'lighter side' because it's not quite as bad as it sounds, and I've nearly finished it (before people kindly start offering me professional advice). Although the characters in this drama are really non-native, poor speakers of the target language (yes, there's a source language too, but that's another story), the subject matter was also so simple and mundane that it wasn't hard to decipher what the interviewee meant and what the journalist thought he meant, and the resultant translation-cum-edited work really isn't important enough to lose any sleep over. Just wanted a little grumble.Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Fiction, seriously? Nov 15, 2011

You didn't even tell us it was a drama/fiction book with nonnative characters, which changes the background altogether. Basically, you failed to point the key facts. If you wanted us to laugh, again, the key facts were missing.

Wolfgang Vogt
Wolfgang Vogt  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:50
English to German
+ ...
- Nov 15, 2011

Hey, that sounds a bit like those crime-prevention days at school...

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
"Drama" with non-natives takes a surprising turn Nov 15, 2011

Hello Olly,

In the spirit of your original post: 1. Charge for the quotes, 2. Don't change them because they are quotes, 3. Use this extra time and money to purchase and consume liquor to drown your sorrows (far superior to suicide).

NOT(!) sincerely,
Michael

P.S.: That said, Robert's suggestion is interesting (even if it is not on the "lighter side") and had never occured to me in such a strong form. Still, the danger of misrepresenting someone's (al
... See more
Hello Olly,

In the spirit of your original post: 1. Charge for the quotes, 2. Don't change them because they are quotes, 3. Use this extra time and money to purchase and consume liquor to drown your sorrows (far superior to suicide).

NOT(!) sincerely,
Michael

P.S.: That said, Robert's suggestion is interesting (even if it is not on the "lighter side") and had never occured to me in such a strong form. Still, the danger of misrepresenting someone's (already obscure) statements remains - regardless of whether they are paraphrased or quoted.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 19:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sic Nov 15, 2011

Whatever you do, please don't say "sic" with every quote as if the readers can't figure that out for themselves - that makes me "sick".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing quotes

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »