maryblack
maryblack  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:35
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
look before you accept, and charge by the hour for proofreading Jul 6, 2010

These are my two strategies to avoid the same situation, which I think we've all been through!

Experience has taught me that: 1) I never, ever accept a proofreading job without seeing the original. If I see an original like that I either refuse it or offer to re-translate it (i.e,. looking at the original - there next to nothing you could use from that "translation"); and 2) if I do accept a proofreading job, unless its proofing the work of a translator I know and whose work I respe
... See more
These are my two strategies to avoid the same situation, which I think we've all been through!

Experience has taught me that: 1) I never, ever accept a proofreading job without seeing the original. If I see an original like that I either refuse it or offer to re-translate it (i.e,. looking at the original - there next to nothing you could use from that "translation"); and 2) if I do accept a proofreading job, unless its proofing the work of a translator I know and whose work I respect, I will charge by the hour, and charge dearly. Frankly, either I need to earn a mint to deal with something that bad, or I'd rather just skip it.

Hang in there!!!!
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:35
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Jul 6, 2010

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I just created this thread to do some venting. Everything was under control from the start. It was a good customer and I am being compensated for the effort.

I did the, ugh, work, then nicely commented that it would be better to start from scratch.

As it turned out they had another batch of the same material today, this time in the source language. Life is so much easier this way!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This translation is killing me

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »