Andreina Baiano
Andreina Baiano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:58
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 17, 2006

Hi everybody, I need your help in a mundane matter

A Taiwanese friend of mine sent me an unannounced gift, without any accompanying letter. Apparently, it is something edible (algae?), since the calories are quoted on the package.

I have scanned it and uploa
... See more
Hi everybody, I need your help in a mundane matter

A Taiwanese friend of mine sent me an unannounced gift, without any accompanying letter. Apparently, it is something edible (algae?), since the calories are quoted on the package.

I have scanned it and uploaded the image here:

http://www.davnet.it/tinkerbellcloset/mistero.jpg

Could you please tell me what this is and how is it used?

Domo arigato

[Edited at 2006-09-17 14:51]
Collapse

Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:58
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Nori Sep 17, 2006

Hi, Andreina! What your friend has sent you is what they call here in Japan "nori" (in Japanese) and "seaweed" in English; however, my dictionary says it translates as "laver" (sorry, I'm not a native English speaker). You can eat it just like that; it's toasted (at least, that's what the label says). I like to wrap some cooked rice with it and eat just like that, but a touch of soy sauce will make it tastier.
A warning: don't touch it with wet hands, since it easily sticks, and absorbs
... See more
Hi, Andreina! What your friend has sent you is what they call here in Japan "nori" (in Japanese) and "seaweed" in English; however, my dictionary says it translates as "laver" (sorry, I'm not a native English speaker). You can eat it just like that; it's toasted (at least, that's what the label says). I like to wrap some cooked rice with it and eat just like that, but a touch of soy sauce will make it tastier.
A warning: don't touch it with wet hands, since it easily sticks, and absorbs humidity just too easy, even from the air, getting soft. It's really nice when dry and crispy.
Well, maybe some others can give you more suggestions.
Enjoy the gift!
Collapse

Irena29 (X)
Irena29 (X)
Japanese to English
Here is more information Sep 17, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nori

Will Matter
Will Matter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:58
English
+ ...
Seaweed Sep 17, 2006

Momoka is right, it's one type of edible seaweed that is often used to make sushi when it comes in "sheet" form. You can also add it to other dishes or put a little in some soup. Lots of uses. Enjoy!

Andreina Baiano
Andreina Baiano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:58
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everybody! Sep 17, 2006

When I first saw it, the colour made me think of "nori" seaweed (I've had plenty of sushi so to recognize it), but since my friend is from Taipei, I gave it for granted that it must have been something Taiwanese/Chinese...

Then, I posted this same request on the Chinese forum, and a nice colleague told me it was Japanese #^_^#

Thanks to Momoka for her culinary advice...
See more
When I first saw it, the colour made me think of "nori" seaweed (I've had plenty of sushi so to recognize it), but since my friend is from Taipei, I gave it for granted that it must have been something Taiwanese/Chinese...

Then, I posted this same request on the Chinese forum, and a nice colleague told me it was Japanese #^_^#

Thanks to Momoka for her culinary advice

Thanks to Irena for the Wikipedia link!

Thanks to Willmatter for the suggested cooking alternatives
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with a Japanese label

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »