Getting started as an academic translator in France: advice needed
Thread poster: ttice
ttice
ttice
France
Feb 13, 2019

Hello all,

I am currently working as a replacement English teacher at a French lycée, but I have translated some articles into English for a French academic journal and will be translating a book for an American academic publisher. Once my contract with the Rectorat is up, I plan on moving into translation full time.

I have been in academia for much of my life and have much to learn on the business side, but my main concern at the moment is the opaque French tax/statu
... See more
Hello all,

I am currently working as a replacement English teacher at a French lycée, but I have translated some articles into English for a French academic journal and will be translating a book for an American academic publisher. Once my contract with the Rectorat is up, I plan on moving into translation full time.

I have been in academia for much of my life and have much to learn on the business side, but my main concern at the moment is the opaque French tax/status system. Working for the journal, my taxes went to AGESSA. I hope to work mainly for journals and academic publishers, but also for individual academics who want to have their articles translated into English or edited. Would I have to become an auto-entrepreneur in that case? Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Thank you!
Collapse

Eliza Hall
Eliza Hall
United States
Local time: 04:29
French to English
+ ...
French tax attorney Feb 15, 2019

That's who you need to talk to. Even if you got ten pages of great-sounding advice here, you would still need to talk to a French tax lawyer to be sure of what the correct answer is.

Jorge Payan
Tom in London

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:29
German to English
+ ...
Web resources Feb 16, 2019

There is quite a lot available on the internet from translation organisations and individual translators who have done this before. You might find this useful, for example: https://www.expatica.com/fr/employment/self-employment/becoming-a-freelance-or-self-employed-worker-in-france-445986/

ttice
ttice
France
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 23, 2019

Helen Shiner wrote:

There is quite a lot available on the internet from translation organisations and individual translators who have done this before. You might find this useful, for example: https://www.expatica.com/fr/employment/self-employment/becoming-a-freelance-or-self-employed-worker-in-france-445986/

Thank you, Helen!

Helen Shiner

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started as an academic translator in France: advice needed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »