Thread poster: Libin PhD
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:40
Chinese to English
+ ...
I'm surprised that this is such a sensitive topic May 7, 2006

I suggest we stay off this topic since it is so emotionally charged.

可谓说者无意,听者有心. I'm still scratching my head as to what happened.

Let's all calm down, and not bring politics into innocuous discussions like education. IMHO this subject is almost as harmless as talking about the weather.

On the other hand, let's not blow things all out of proportion on the first hint of anything political.

Cheers, everyone!

[Edited
... See more

Let's all calm down, and not bring politics into innocuous discussions like education. IMHO this subject is almost as harmless as talking about the weather.

On the other hand, let's not blow things all out of proportion on the first hint of anything political.

Cheers, everyone!

[Edited at 2006-05-07 02:38]
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:40
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
We might have just innocently stepped on a land mine. May 7, 2006

wherestip wrote:

On the other hand, let's not blow things all out of proportion on the first hint of any politics.

Cheers, everyone!

[Edited at 2006-05-07 00:49]

Thanks, wherestip!

We might have just innocently stepped on a land mine. We are not from Taiwan and perhaps it is not easy for us to relate to the frustrations from there.

When the kids learn a language, it is inevitably for them to make mistakes. It is OK for the kids at certain ages to make certain type of mistakes. But, it should be alarming to the educators and parents if certain mistakes are continued by the kids who have reached certain age.

We all are education advocators. Let's all put this matter in perspectives.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-05-07 01:11]

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Surprised May 7, 2006

I am quite surprised with the development of this topic. When I saw this article, I was amused by the funny misuse of words by the kids and truly felt 童言可爱. As this is language related, so I posted here.

Let's not politicize things when it is not necessary.

Kevin Yang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

On the other hand, let's not blow things all out of proportion on the first hint of any politics.

Cheers, everyone!

[Edited at 2006-05-07 00:49]

Thanks, wherestip!

We might have just innocently stepped on a land mine. We are not from Taiwan and perhaps it is not easy for us to relate to the frustrations from there.

When the kids learn a language, it is inevitablly for them to make mistakes. It is OK for the kids at certain ages to make certain type of mistakes. But, it should be alarming to the educators and parents if certain mistakes are continued by the kids who have reached certain age.

We all are education advocators. Let's all put this matter in perspectives.

Kevin

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 04:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
We are just relearning our own language. May 7, 2006

Libin PhD wrote:

I am quite surprised with the development of this topic. When I saw this article, I was amused by the funny misuse of words by the kids and truly felt 童言可爱. As this is language related, so I posted here.

Let's not politicize things when it is not necessary.

That's what I am saying: Let the kids learn through making mistakes with fun. No matter 讓我受精 or 吃了一斤, those mistakes are fun, 童言可愛.

Politics should not be personal. When it becomes personal, you have to look into the matter and deal with it on a business level. Let's not make a hysterie out of it. I know the personal reasons why and that is what I shall deal with on my own. You shouldn't. I am sorry about that.

So, please take it easy. Find some funny puns and jokes to stress on the importance of education and culture. Learning a language must be fun. We are just relearning our own.

[Edited at 2006-05-07 05:07]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

害我受"精"?台湾学生语文能力差

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »