Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Should KudoZ\'s asker indicate who are the audience of their translation (Mainland China, Taiwan, HK
Thread poster: Summit
Summit
Summit
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 24, 2002

We have observed a few questions posted in KudoZ are lacking of context. But to me, the most serious problem is: \"Who are the audience\". The readers in Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, or Singapore and any overseas Chinese do use different Chinese characters/words,specially in translating so called: 外來語. I also feel, the ultimate goal for a translator is to be appreciated by the end reader in lieu of client whom engage us.

For example: In China, computer is: 計算機, in T
... See more
We have observed a few questions posted in KudoZ are lacking of context. But to me, the most serious problem is: \"Who are the audience\". The readers in Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, or Singapore and any overseas Chinese do use different Chinese characters/words,specially in translating so called: 外來語. I also feel, the ultimate goal for a translator is to be appreciated by the end reader in lieu of client whom engage us.

For example: In China, computer is: 計算機, in Taiwan is: 電腦 and 計算機 in Taiwan is: Calculator. (not to mention in Hong Kong, when they have their own Chinese Cantonese characters)

I do feel it would help us a lot to know \"who are the audience\" before hand, in order for us to translate appropriately.
Collapse

Li-chuan Yen
Li-chuan Yen  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:12
English to Chinese
It can also be a the answerer's choice. Jun 24, 2002

For non-Chinese speakers, the fact that here are \"two kinds\" of Chinese is extremely mystifying. Most of the time I find all the answers very helpful. Even it\'s not something I look for, it\'s still informative.

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:12
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hi, Laurie/Li-Chuan or ? Jun 24, 2002

究竟应该如何称呼您?您是否睡觉时间过长,忘了回答我的问题?哈哈哈!

Please refer to our previous discussion on TOEFL, London, etc.

Betty

Summit
Summit
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Surely, I would do so, but you are right, I always over-slept. Jun 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-24 13:32, BBW,linguist wrote:

Betty

Summit
Summit
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
quite right, the problem still exist. "who are there to judge" the director or audience? Jun 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-24 13:07, Laurie Yen wrote:

For non-Chinese speakers, the fact that here are \"two kinds\" of Chinese is extremely mystifying. Most of the time I find all the answers very helpful. Even it\'s not something I look for, it\'s still informative.

Li-chuan Yen
Li-chuan Yen  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
Miss Yen caused a confusion? Jun 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-24 13:32, BBW,linguist wrote:

Betty

腞甋 or Laurie

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:12
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Every Kudoz question should include 3 parts of the information Jul 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-24 03:02, Summit wrote:

We have observed a few questions posted in KudoZ are lacking of context. But to me, the most serious problem is: \"Who are the audience\".

I agree with Summit\'s suggestion. It is great to see new people joint in the Forum discussion. I have been busy with my home improvement work and did not write my comments for a while. I did enjoy rea... See more
Quote:

On 2002-06-24 03:02, Summit wrote:

We have observed a few questions posted in KudoZ are lacking of context. But to me, the most serious problem is: \"Who are the audience\".

I agree with Summit\'s suggestion. It is great to see new people joint in the Forum discussion. I have been busy with my home improvement work and did not write my comments for a while. I did enjoy reading all your messages. To be honest, I \'d rather sit back and read you guys talking.

There are many things need to be improved in the Kudoz question. I surprised that many askers do not give enough context and put all the translators in a guessing game. I think the immediate improvement can be made by including the following 3 parts of information:

1. How the word or phrase is used in a sentence? Please quote the sentence where the word or phrase is used.

2. What field is it about? For example, computer, education, power plant, etc.

3. Who is the targeted reader? Please indicate if the translation is intended to be used in the mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc. Sometimes, the Big5 or GB code can be an indicator, but it is nice to mention it.

When such information is offered, it can help the translator to come up with the most appropriate translation, and save lots of time from guessing. When you select someone’s answer, be sure to say “Thank you!” I do have a problem with certain askers who enjoy taking the free translation, but do not even bother to say “Thank you!”

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-10 03:42 ]Collapse

Summit
Summit
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kevin's suggestion Jul 11, 2002

Hi, Kevin,

Quote:

I have been busy with my home improvement work and did not write my comments for a while.

Hi, nice to hear from you again, doing home improvement in US is one of the most satisfying activity, I used to spend whole Summer doing that. I believe you must enjoy it a lot.

Quote:

I think the imm... See more
Hi, Kevin,

Quote:

I have been busy with my home improvement work and did not write my comments for a while.

Hi, nice to hear from you again, doing home improvement in US is one of the most satisfying activity, I used to spend whole Summer doing that. I believe you must enjoy it a lot.

Quote:

I think the immediate improvement can be made by including the following 3 parts of information:

1. How the word or phrase is used in a sentence? Please quote the sentence where the word or phrase is used.

2. What field is it about? For example, computer, education, power plant, etc.

3. Who is the targeted reader? Please indicate if the translation is intended to be used in the mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc. Sometimes, the Big5 or GB code can be an indicator, but it is nice to mention it.

Couldn\'t agree with you more. In order for any professional translator, I really would like to emphasize on \"how the end reader might read it\". If it\'s a technical question, might be easier and often, can be standardized. But in field of art/literature, it would be nice to take into consideration of various culture backgrounds.

As you suggested: the 3 points/parts rule of thumb,

1. context in its full sentence

2. field of the questions

3. end reader\'s culture background plus other consideratioin of traditional or simplified Chinese , Big5 or GB code of the system.

Thanks ▲ Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:12
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I'd like to no more about Chinese audiences Aug 29, 2002

Excuse me for posting a bit off-topic. I\'m a Dutch translator and I have a client who wants me to coordinate the translation of his gambling web sites in several languages. My problem is that I need to reach the biggest possible Chinese audience. To be more concrete a Chinese audience with PC\'s, Internet connections and credit cards.

I\'ve looked around on the Internet and didn\'t find a clear answer. Would my audience prefer simplified or traditional Chinese? Or are thing
... See more
Excuse me for posting a bit off-topic. I\'m a Dutch translator and I have a client who wants me to coordinate the translation of his gambling web sites in several languages. My problem is that I need to reach the biggest possible Chinese audience. To be more concrete a Chinese audience with PC\'s, Internet connections and credit cards.

I\'ve looked around on the Internet and didn\'t find a clear answer. Would my audience prefer simplified or traditional Chinese? Or are things even more complicated? I\'m sure my client wants to build just one Chinese site for \"all\" Chinese and not three sites.

Kind regards,

Gerard de Noord

Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:12
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Online Gambling in Simplified or Traditional Characters? Aug 31, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-29 21:23, Eloquo wrote:

Would my audience prefer simplified or traditional Chinese? Or are things even more complicated? I\'m sure my client wants to build just one Chinese site for \"all\" Chinese and not three sites.

Kind regards,

Gerard de Noord

Hi, Gerard

It sounds like your client\'s operation is online only. If it is a... See more
Quote:

On 2002-08-29 21:23, Eloquo wrote:

Would my audience prefer simplified or traditional Chinese? Or are things even more complicated? I\'m sure my client wants to build just one Chinese site for \"all\" Chinese and not three sites.

Kind regards,

Gerard de Noord

Hi, Gerard

It sounds like your client\'s operation is online only. If it is also on-site, that will be a different story. In my opinion, you should have the website in both Traditional (Big5 code) and Simplified (GB code) Characters, treating each version as a separated language. It is costly, but will allow you to reach the most of the viewers. It is a \"politically correct\" thing to do.

If your client cannot afford to have both versions done at the same time. Start first with the version in Traditional Characters. This is because that the viewers who prefer to read Traditional Characters are in Hong Kong, Taiwan and other part of the world. Those Chinese people can freely access the web site in gambling nature and participate in the gambling activities. For the Chinese people in mainland China, where the Simplified Characters are used, I think they are having tough time to access your gambling website because such gambling activity is banned by the Chinese Government. By the way, I DO support this decision made by the Chinese Government. Although it is difficult for the Chinese Government to have a total control over this issue, it is so far so good. Another thing you need to know is that the credit cards are not very popular in mainland China yet. Most people still feel comfortable to pay in cash. I did see that some people start to use bank debit card now.

Kevin

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-31 17:44 ]Collapse

Summit
Summit
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, Kevin, Gerad, Aug 31, 2002

Your question has addressed to the core of this topic. Tell you the truth, I couldn\'t agree more with Kevin\'s suggestion. He pinpointed all the necessary considerations with regard to your concerns.

If I am in your position, Big 5 code (traditional Chinese) would be my first choice (Kevin has explained it) Since,it can help you greatly to reach the goal of your client, namely to attract more Chinese who are: able, willing & affordable to participate any gambling events wo
... See more
Your question has addressed to the core of this topic. Tell you the truth, I couldn\'t agree more with Kevin\'s suggestion. He pinpointed all the necessary considerations with regard to your concerns.

If I am in your position, Big 5 code (traditional Chinese) would be my first choice (Kevin has explained it) Since,it can help you greatly to reach the goal of your client, namely to attract more Chinese who are: able, willing & affordable to participate any gambling events worldwide.

Thanks Kenvin

Summit
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:12
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Audiences Sep 2, 2002

Thank you very much, Kevin and Summit,

For your helpful answers. Now I know how to advise my client.

Regards,

Gerard

Summit
Summit
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, Gerard, Sep 4, 2002

You are welcomed.

summit

p.s.: Chinese are borned gamblers, haha. pls, no offense to any viewer.

i.e.: in NY, or in Atlantic City (New Jersey), at least 1/4 visitors hanging there over night are Chinese. but Chinese immigrants only counts for less then 3% in that area (NorthEast of America)

Golden View
Golden View  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Online gambling website (in SC or TC?) Sep 6, 2002

I recommend gambling website to be translated into Traditional Chinese (big5 code).

The reason is not Mainland Chinnese government prohibits online gambling, actually online gambling can not be prohibited \'technically\' because players just gable to earn or loss via a valid international credit card, no matter their locations.

The major reason to suggest TC is becasuse, there are less people in Mainland China who have international valid credit card, there are Vis
... See more
I recommend gambling website to be translated into Traditional Chinese (big5 code).

The reason is not Mainland Chinnese government prohibits online gambling, actually online gambling can not be prohibited \'technically\' because players just gable to earn or loss via a valid international credit card, no matter their locations.

The major reason to suggest TC is becasuse, there are less people in Mainland China who have international valid credit card, there are Visa and Mastercard in China but most cards are valid in China only, in local currency (RMB), not USD.

So from point view of the website, they should attract more \'valuable customers\' who hold valid credit card, so Traditional Chinese (TC) is better choice, any people in China can read and understand TC too.

Collapse

Golden View
Golden View  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Targeting audiences Sep 6, 2002

As Summit\'s initial posting, Chinese language has different targeting audiences, it could be very different.

But as answering Kudoz is volunteer (although interesting, educational and helpfrul too), maybe most Kudoz answerers are not aware of the location of targeting audiences. This should be just fine because Kudoz answerers may come different places, maybe China, HK, USA or Taiwan, they can just give answers based on their own knowledge. It maybe difficult to give a most
... See more
As Summit\'s initial posting, Chinese language has different targeting audiences, it could be very different.

But as answering Kudoz is volunteer (although interesting, educational and helpfrul too), maybe most Kudoz answerers are not aware of the location of targeting audiences. This should be just fine because Kudoz answerers may come different places, maybe China, HK, USA or Taiwan, they can just give answers based on their own knowledge. It maybe difficult to give a most helpful translation for all, different Chinese audiences.

My point is, disparate answers from Kudoz answerers gloibaally can solve this targeting audience problem, we don\'t have to think about it deliberately.

Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should KudoZ\'s asker indicate who are the audience of their translation (Mainland China, Taiwan, HK

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »