Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
I have been asked to provide a memory - how do I do this?
Thread poster: Ine Spee
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 19:53
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You only provide the TM of the translated text Oct 23, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

actually _your_ property? To what extent agencies are entitled to ask for them?

Of course, a TM accumulated by a translator is the translator's property.
However, providing a TM or TMX of the specific text does not really give the client anything they do not already have when they receive the translation.

Clients can easily align the texts themselves, but if the translator has already used a CAT, then it only takes a few clicks and a few minutes to produce a TM of the text. This may be more accurate than an alignment, for instance if the translator has divided or merged segments manually.

I rearrange segments frequently in some texts, and there is no guarantee that an alignment will do it automatically, so that would have to be carefully checked afterwards. The TM picks up my changes as I make them.

Zea_Mays
Jorge Payan
Angie Garbarino

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Zea Oct 23, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:
Isn't a TM actually _your_ property? To what extent agencies are entitled to ask for them?

Clients may request that the translator deliver the translation in a variety of formats, including the finalized format, the bilingual CAT tool format, and the TM format. It's all the same translation, so if you're willing to deliver the one, why not the other?

Philippe Locquet

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
... Oct 24, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:
Isn't a TM actually _your_ property? To what extent agencies are entitled to ask for them?

Clients may request that the translator deliver the translation in a variety of formats, including the finalized format, the bilingual CAT tool format, and the TM format. It's all the same translation, so if you're willing to deliver the one, why not the other?

Lieven Malaise's answer is perhaps the most apt on this point.
They aren't, imo, unless they provide the translator with a CAT file with a memory attached to it.

I think translators (and people in general) are sometimes unaware of their rights in many areas.

Edited to add the quote.

[Edited at 2023-10-24 13:39 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:53
English to Russian
Property Oct 24, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:
actually _your_ property? To what extent agencies are entitled to ask for them?
If they require it as a prerequisite condition (expressly instruct you to use a CAT tool), and you accept the job, you must do it. And it doesn't matter whether they send you a TM file or a CAT file like sdlxliff, mqxliff, etc. or not. If they give you a job on a condition that you use a CAT tool, and you agree with that condition, you have to obey it.
This is the same as translation itself. When you deliver your translation to your client, the ownership in this "property" transfers to your client. That is why they pay you.

expressisverbis
Zea_Mays
Jorge Payan

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:53
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Use an alignment tool Nov 1, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

What you can do now is upload your source file into Smartcat or Phrase and paste your translation one segment after the other.

[Edited at 2023-10-17 20:26 GMT]

One segment at a time - Why on Earth would you do that?

It would bit a lot simpler to load the source and target documents in a good alignment tool (e.g. LF Aligner, or WinAlign, or a good online alignment service like YouAlign) and run the alignment.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:53
English to Russian
Learning curve Nov 2, 2023

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:
One segment at a time - Why on Earth would you do that?
Of course I know about alignment tools, but they are good when you know how to use them. And when the source text perfectly matches the target. But this is not always the case. When you have no idea about CAT tools, hardly aligning would be a better option. When you align segments, you still have to link and confirm them, merge and split, move or remove, etc. This is Winalign that you refer to as a good alignment tool:

Do you really think that figuring this whole mess out is "lot simpler" for a novice?
Probably, after your 100th alignment task, you can do it pretty quickly. However, if you have never heard of that software before, copying and pasting by segment would be a more reliable workflow. At least you would not miss a segment.
Besides, alignment is just sort of workaround. Using this workflow (create a TM after you've finished your translation) on a routine basis is no good idea. A good practice is using a CAT tool before the translation is done. Therefore you'd better invest some time and effort learning how to use a CAT tool and work in a right way rather than do things back to front.

*And I left others room for suggestions by not mentioning the alignment workflow at the beginning =)

[Edited at 2023-11-02 05:36 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have been asked to provide a memory - how do I do this?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »