Free or not so expensive CAT Tool (for occasional use)
Thread poster: Marie-France Phaneuf
Marie-France Phaneuf
Marie-France Phaneuf  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:48
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
May 13, 2023

Hello Community,

I am much more a subtitler as a text translator and by text translation, I usually get to work directly on the client's platform. So I need a CAT-Tool only once in a while. And usually for quite small project. Until now I was using CafeTran Espresso, kindly offered with our ProZ membership and I thought it was ok.

I do have nowadays a bigger project to do on a private CAT-Tools and I quickly reached CafeTran limit (50 entry) in the TM.

So
... See more
Hello Community,

I am much more a subtitler as a text translator and by text translation, I usually get to work directly on the client's platform. So I need a CAT-Tool only once in a while. And usually for quite small project. Until now I was using CafeTran Espresso, kindly offered with our ProZ membership and I thought it was ok.

I do have nowadays a bigger project to do on a private CAT-Tools and I quickly reached CafeTran limit (50 entry) in the TM.

So I need to take a decision:
- Should I go on without the TM? (which I find a bit silly)
- Should I buy it? (Even though it's not that expensive, I'm not sure I like it that much.)
- Should I try to find another one, which wouldn't be much more expensive, but maybe better?

Let's ask the community! Which CAT-Tools would you recommend for a sporadic usage, that would be cheap or free, easy to use and would allow me to use a limitless TM?

Looking forward to reading your suggestions.
Thanks in advance dear Community.

Marie-France Phaneuf

[Edited at 2023-05-13 12:11 GMT]
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Wordfast Anywhere start and stop May 13, 2023

Hi Marie–France,

You can try Wordfast Anywhere for 30 days for $1. At the end of your trial, you have to purchase monthly credits to continue using it. One month costs $9.90. If you buy three or more months at a time, you get a 15% discount. If you buy 10 or more months at a time, you get a 30% discount. If you go months without having to use it, you can let your credit run out, and then purchase a month’s worth of credit when you need it again. Your account will not be deleted,
... See more
Hi Marie–France,

You can try Wordfast Anywhere for 30 days for $1. At the end of your trial, you have to purchase monthly credits to continue using it. One month costs $9.90. If you buy three or more months at a time, you get a 15% discount. If you buy 10 or more months at a time, you get a 30% discount. If you go months without having to use it, you can let your credit run out, and then purchase a month’s worth of credit when you need it again. Your account will not be deleted, but rather remain dormant when credit expires. If you end up using it more frequently, the average monthly cost is $6.93 (with discounts applied).
Hope this helps,
John
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Aurélien ARPAZ
Aurélien ARPAZ
German to French
+ ...
OmegaT or Libre Office Writer with Anaphraseus May 13, 2023

Hello Marie-France,

I think a product like OmegaT ( https://omegat.org/fr/ ) is the perfect answer to your problem. You just have to spend some time to master it. Otherwise you have Anaphraseus for Libre Office Writer. Very easy to use, it is very similar to its equivalent WordFast Classic, but it is free.

Bonne continuation !

Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
OmegaT May 13, 2023

OmegaT

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:48
English to Russian
CafeTran May 13, 2023

Marie-France Phaneuf wrote:
- Should I buy it? (Even though it's not that expensive, I'm not sure I like it that much.)
This is one of the most cost-effective solutions in the market. If I could technically buy it I would have done that long time ago. Even though I can't now, I still install it on my desktop in hope I can make it to the better times one day.
OmegaT is completely free but if you can afford choosing between them, you'd better choose CafeTran. (This is just my opinion and UX.)

Upd: Heartsome Translation Studio (if you don't have Java, use the _JRE file) is a free CAT tool too. However it was abandoned years ago.

[Edited at 2023-05-13 15:49 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Free May 13, 2023

https://extensions.libreoffice.org/en/extensions/show/anaphraseus

If you know how to write macros in StarBasic, you can adapt Anapraseus to your personal preferences and needs. Choose this one if you want to translate in a word processor (LibreOffice Writer, in
... See more
https://extensions.libreoffice.org/en/extensions/show/anaphraseus

If you know how to write macros in StarBasic, you can adapt Anapraseus to your personal preferences and needs. Choose this one if you want to translate in a word processor (LibreOffice Writer, in this case).

https://omegat.org/

Big community of very engaged developers. Good community support. Lots of very useful plugins. Extensive support of MT engines.

https://github.com/rmraya/Swordfish

You have to compile Swordfish or find someone who will do this for you.

[Edited at 2023-05-14 04:43 GMT]
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: No discussions of pirated software are allowed
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TMs can hold 1000 entries! (not 50!) May 14, 2023

Marie-France Phaneuf wrote:

See: https://www.cafetran.com/get-cafetran/ :

You won’t be able to work with TM files that are larger than 1000 TU’s in size (in total), and you will not be able to make use of glossaries that are larger than 500 terms (in total).

I think that CafeTran Espresso's free mode is actually quite generous: 42 pages of text, 15 K words. See here.

Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 10.37.18

BTW: If you're on a tight budget, you can create a second memory for pages 43 to 84, etc.

[Edited at 2023-05-14 08:42 GMT]

Yeray Segura Sánchez
Yeray Segura Sánchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:48
Member (2022)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Matecat May 16, 2023

I think Matecat would be a very good option, just in case. It is for free and supports a lot of different extensions.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Compiling May 16, 2023

Hanzo-sensei wrote:
You have to compile Swordfish

This is so much easier on Linux. That is, unless your distro happens to be Debian Stable or Solus.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free or not so expensive CAT Tool (for occasional use)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »