Thread poster: Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:28
English to French
+ ...
Mar 4, 2021

It seems there is not a dedicated thread for this topic, so I’m starting one.

Have you been asked by clients about anonymizing material?

I have been forwarded this excellent blog post by Paul Filkin https://multifarious.filkin.com/2018/05/27/data-protection/
And it got me curious. It seems many people are interested in this judging by how many
... See more
It seems there is not a dedicated thread for this topic, so I’m starting one.

Have you been asked by clients about anonymizing material?

I have been forwarded this excellent blog post by Paul Filkin https://multifarious.filkin.com/2018/05/27/data-protection/
And it got me curious. It seems many people are interested in this judging by how many downloaded the SDL add-ons from the App Store.

Looking at feedback, it seems these tools are buggy, how does it feel using them?

I assume we would get a lot of false positives but it’s probably better than doing it manually.
The manual approach would require knowing which words need anonymizing and the search/replace them with a different DUMMY for each word so it can be changed again upon exporting the target file. This may be feasible on small projects, but for big projects or TMs, the manual approach seems very impractical.

But it seems the need for anonymizing material is on the rise so I suppose we'll be hearing more and more about this.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anonymization

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »