How to copy format tags from source to target?
Thread poster: patriciabr
patriciabr
patriciabr  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:50
English to Spanish
Dec 19, 2010

Hi, I'm sort of new to Transit. I'm working with a document where the program has automatically copied all the format tags to the source text for exact matches, but when I translated a new text where the original source had tags I couldn't figure out how to copy the tags to the target. I've been searching this forum but I can't find an answer. I'm using Transit NXT SP3.

I know that in Trados I can do this easily by pressing Control + comma. Is there a quick key in Transit too?
... See more
Hi, I'm sort of new to Transit. I'm working with a document where the program has automatically copied all the format tags to the source text for exact matches, but when I translated a new text where the original source had tags I couldn't figure out how to copy the tags to the target. I've been searching this forum but I can't find an answer. I'm using Transit NXT SP3.

I know that in Trados I can do this easily by pressing Control + comma. Is there a quick key in Transit too?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Patricia
Collapse

Brand Localization
Brand Localization
Egypt
Local time: 10:50
German to Arabic
+ ...
Transit gives you more advantages Dec 19, 2010

Hi Patricia,

Transit NXT uses a new concept for tags called "markup". This new concept gives you more advantages, just like displaying the source words and their translations you marked with the same markups (tags) as terminology in the terminology (TermStar) window.

This means Transit creates terminology automatically from the words you tagged.

So, how to find out, the markups and how to apply them to the target text:

There is a window
... See more
Hi Patricia,

Transit NXT uses a new concept for tags called "markup". This new concept gives you more advantages, just like displaying the source words and their translations you marked with the same markups (tags) as terminology in the terminology (TermStar) window.

This means Transit creates terminology automatically from the words you tagged.

So, how to find out, the markups and how to apply them to the target text:

There is a window in Transit NXT called "Markup window". => This has BLUE title bar.

This window shows you the source strings, that have markups (tags). Beside each markup of them there is a number, which lets you know the number you should use to assign the same markup to your translation. These numbers are called "mrakup IDs".

In the source text, you'll see the same numbers\IDs in blue.

Assigning markups:

- To Show or hide the markup IDs in
the active window => F6

- To start markup mode for the current
segment => F9

- To start markup mode for all segments in which target-language markups are still missing => CTRL+F9

How do I insert markups during translation?
1 Place the cursor at the point where you want to insert the markup, then press the CTRL key and the number for the markup ID you want to insert,

2 Then begin to enter the text to which the markup should be assigned. The markup is inserted when you enter the first character,

3 Press the right arrow key to leave the markup string and continue the translation.

This concept for tags solves many problems one have in traditional tag concept, like for example, if you have to assign one tag in the source text to two words, that are not any more beside each other in you translation or if the word order and the tag order in the target is not the same like in the source text.

You'll need a short time to get used to the new approach, but will be quickly able to master it.

Hopefully, this would be a good start for you to enjoy the benefits of the new markup concept in Transit NXT.

Best regards
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:50
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Isn't it a bit time-consuming? Dec 19, 2010

Hello,

I find that "restore source" after having copied the translation & paste it around tags is much faster.

Plus I do no have to concentrate (and invest quite a time) trying to see which is missing (I always have various and quite long tags per segment)-

I presume it's a matter of habit...

Giuliana

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 09:50
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
It depends Dec 19, 2010

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Hello,

I find that "restore source" after having copied the translation & paste it around tags is much faster.

Plus I do no have to concentrate (and invest quite a time) trying to see which is missing (I always have various and quite long tags per segment)-

I presume it's a matter of habit...

Giuliana

If you delete (by mistake) one tag in a long, already translated segment, source restoring need not be the best option.

Regarding identification of missing tags, that is why they are numbered (unless you switched "Markup ID" off in "View - Text/Markups - Options")

The ATT reply covers many options, so I extraxt just the procedure I need most often: if you need to insert tag no. 1 in the target segment, put the cursor at the desired location (or select the required string with the cursor at its end), hit ctrl+1 (not on the numpad, in the top row!) and then "right arrow" - the tag should be inserted as necessary.

HTH

Antonin

[Edited at 2010-12-19 06:40 GMT]

patriciabr
patriciabr  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:50
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Antonin, your tip worked! Dec 19, 2010

Thank you so much for your valuable help. Your Control+1 tip worked like a spell!

You are a lifesaver! Thanks to everyone else too.

Happy holidays!

Patricia

Alison Watt
Alison Watt  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:50
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
+ ...
How do I restore the source as mentioned above? Jul 3, 2014

Is there a shortcut to insert the source into target?

Thanks

Abdullah Hassaan
Abdullah Hassaan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Transit Shortcut to set the target segment to "Not translated" Jul 3, 2014

Sure there is:

You can set the target segment to not translated sing the shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + Backspace

To set the WHOLE file to any state including "Not translated", go to: Options > File Status and chose the status you would liek to assign to the all segments in the file.

Alison Watt
Alison Watt  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:50
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
+ ...

Thank you Abdullah, I will give that a try!

Bashir Baqi
Bashir Baqi  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2015)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
thanks for your great help Mar 23, 2018

Dear Arabictranslate
thanks for your great help
regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to copy format tags from source to target?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »