Where do I buy another license for Trados 2007 Freelance?
Thread poster: Thomas Loob
Thomas Loob
Thomas Loob  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 06:41
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 21, 2012

Without buying Studio 2009, that is...

Géraldine Chantegrel
Géraldine Chantegrel  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Second hand market? Jun 21, 2012

Don't see any other option now...

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You need to purchase Studio 2011 + 2007 and not 2009 Jun 22, 2012

Hi,

So the place to find this if you are interested, would be here:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-shop/shop_main.asp

Quite a good discounted price for both packages... so you get:

SDL Trados Studio 2011
SDL Trados MultiTerm 2011
SDL Passolo Essential
SDL Trados 2007 Suite

The d
... See more
Hi,

So the place to find this if you are interested, would be here:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-shop/shop_main.asp

Quite a good discounted price for both packages... so you get:

SDL Trados Studio 2011
SDL Trados MultiTerm 2011
SDL Passolo Essential
SDL Trados 2007 Suite

The deal in the online shop today is €696 for all four tools.

But we don't sell 2007 on its own anymore.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Oleg Prots
Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:41
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Will renew the thread... Mar 22, 2018

I've had a 2007 license that went 'inactive' at some point after an upgrade. I haven't even noticed that at first, and it did continue to work fine on a laptop. Now's the time for a system upgrade, and obviously, this licensed version cannot be reinstalled.
The SDL store does not seem to offer an option to buy an old Trados/SDLX license; only Studio now. But I still
have work coming in fom clients in TTXs and ITDs, so - any idea where I can buy a 2007 license in 2018?
Thanks
... See more
I've had a 2007 license that went 'inactive' at some point after an upgrade. I haven't even noticed that at first, and it did continue to work fine on a laptop. Now's the time for a system upgrade, and obviously, this licensed version cannot be reinstalled.
The SDL store does not seem to offer an option to buy an old Trados/SDLX license; only Studio now. But I still
have work coming in fom clients in TTXs and ITDs, so - any idea where I can buy a 2007 license in 2018?
Thanks!
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
If you own Studio you do not need 2007 Mar 22, 2018

Oleg Prots wrote:
I still have work coming in fom clients in TTXs and ITDs

Studio treats old file formats perfectly well: you work with them in Studio and then just save as target and return to the client as ttx or itd.

Thomas Loob
Thomas Loob  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Mar 22, 2018

Studio treats old file formats perfectly well: you work with them in Studio and then just save as target and return to the client as ttx or itd.

But Studio doesn't have the better top/bottom view of source and translation...just imagine how much your eyes move in Studio...
I still have my Tageditor license at SDL, it has survived many computer upgrades

[Redigerad 2018-03-22 12:55 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Studio looks... Mar 22, 2018

... at least much-much-much better than the ancient tageditor which was often just a horrible "tag soup".

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Trados 2009+ can't display context, though Mar 22, 2018

Natalie wrote:
Oleg Prots wrote:
I still have work coming in fom clients in TTXs and ITDs.

Studio treats old file formats perfectly well: you work with them in Studio and then just save as target and return to the client as TTX or ITD.

Well, "perfectly well" is an overestimate.

I just tried opening a TTX file in Trados 2015, and immediately I see two issues:
1. Trados 2015 did not ask for an INI file, even though there is an INI file associated with this particular TTX file, which means that Trados 2015 won't display the file correctly.
2. Trados 2015 shows only the translatable text, but no context. The TTX file viewed in TagEditor shows useful context for all translatable text, but Trados 2015 shows only the translatable text.

Compare the view in TagEditor with the view in Trados 2015:

ttx view in 2007

ttx view in 2015

In this particular case, it is clear that the text "Enrolment Confirmation" should not be taken as context for the text "Sent when an assessment..." even though the one segment appears immediately before the other in Trados 2015, but what if the text did appear to make sense as context? The translator using Trados 2015 might/would have translated the second segment based on the assumed context provided by the first segment.

When opening the file in TagEditor, it is clear that the first segment in Trados 2015 is NOT context for the second segment. And, in fact, TagEditor shows the actual correct context for the segment.

This is a well-known problem with extraction-only type CAT tools such as Trados 2009+, MemoQ, WFP/WFA, etc -- context contained in untranslatable text within the file is not displayed to the translator.

I made one small change to the TTX file in Trados 2015 and then generated an export TTX file to see what was changed. What I found was telling:
1. At several segments (which I did not edit), Trados 2015 changed the target language code. This is the biggest and most problematic issue.
2. Trados 2015 escaped certain characters throughout the file (e.g. apostrophes and quotes). This is still valid XML, but we don't know what kind of a parser the client uses -- it may be one that treats cleartext character entities as literal text.
3. Trados 2015 added extra information to TUs that were altered. For example, <Tu MatchPercent="100"> was changed to <Tu Origin="batch100" MatchPercent="100">, even though batch100 is not a defined TU origin in the original file. This change did not seem to bother TagEditor, but it is worth noting.
All these issues will also affect clients who use document comparison tools for QA, as it will flag segments as edits even though the translator did not edit them.

[Edited at 2018-03-22 16:27 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
There is another thing to bear in mind.... Mar 22, 2018

Oleg Prots wrote:

Thanks!

.... if you are using Trados 2007. It is made for XP, any Windows version after that will give you problems.

About buying Trados 2007, why don't you have a look on one of the online marketplaces?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
2007 runs on Windows 7 Mar 22, 2018

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
...if you are using Trados 2007. It is made for XP, any Windows version after that will give you problems.

I've had no trouble running it on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.

About buying Trados 2007, why don't you have a look on one of the online marketplaces?

I didn't know Pirate Bay was an "online marketplace"
But seriously, what do you mean by "online marketplaces"?

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
It runs, but... Mar 23, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
...if you are using Trados 2007. It is made for XP, any Windows version after that will give you problems.

I've had no trouble running it on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.

In my case, Workbench only cleans with the help of an extra macro and TagEditor doesn't clean at all.

There are more threads about this subject on Proz.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where do I buy another license for Trados 2007 Freelance?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »