Thread poster: Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:44
English to French
Jul 31, 2018

Hello,

I recently posted about this in Business Matters (didn't realize there was a specific forum for scams), and I have since come to the conclusion that it is mostly likely a scam.

Anna Riggs ([email protected]) will contact you for a ~10K words job about agriculture in Israel.

After a quick google search, the text is lifted word for word from 2 source
... See more
Hello,

I recently posted about this in Business Matters (didn't realize there was a specific forum for scams), and I have since come to the conclusion that it is mostly likely a scam.

Anna Riggs ([email protected]) will contact you for a ~10K words job about agriculture in Israel.

After a quick google search, the text is lifted word for word from 2 sources:

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/history-and-overview-of-agriculture-in-israel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_in_Israel

When pressed about who she is and where the job would be published, the only answer I got was that it was for a "farming conference". Right... I asked for more details about this person's role, who the client was...after 3-4 emails, the person stopped responding. They would always take 5-7 days to answer, and always on weekends. I did contact the people at jewishvirtuallibrary.org ans asked if they commissioned the job, but got no response from them.

Just a heads up to everyone.
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Alessandra Ogna Meza

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:44
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Gregory Jul 31, 2018

Are you aware of http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-emails.htm ?
This email is listed there, just in case.

Take care,
Natalia

Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Ha! Jul 31, 2018

No, I wasn't! That would have saved me a bunch of time! Thanks for link, Natalia!

Gregory

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:44
German to Turkish
+ ...
Access denied Jul 31, 2018

Natalie wrote:

Are you aware of http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-emails.htm ?

Take care,
Natalia

Hello Natalie,

when I clicked on the link you have provided, I got a screen stating the following information:

TRANSLATOR SCAMMERS DIRECTORY
For security reasons, your IP has been recorded: xx.xx.xxx.xx
Your System is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.99 Safari/537.36
You came from: (none)
You're located in: xxxxx, Turkey
You're accessing our website thru: Turk Telekomunikasyon Anonim Sirketi
Date / Time of access atempt: Tuesday, 31-Jul-2018 19:58:47 GMT

And below this information there is:

ACCESS DENIED
Access to this website is provided "as is" and "as available"
HTTP Error 403 • Access Denied • Forbidden • Refusé • Prohibido • Denegado • Verboten

(in 3 languages).

Since I cannot access the site even after I also typed http://www.translator-scammers.com, I cannot ask about the problem.

Since I am pretty sure that I am not a scammer, I'd like to learn the reason and I also want to visit this website.

Do you by chance have any idea about this?

I am puzzled

Elif

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
.... Jul 31, 2018

Hi Elif

I have no idea, actually, but here is an excerpt from the site FAQ:

When visiting your website, I get a 403 error code (Access Denied / Forbidden). What gives?
Our website and its elements are provided on an 'as is' and 'as available' basis. We expressly disclaim all representations and warranties of any kind with respect to the webisite, its elements and any other products or services available on or through this website, whether, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any and all warranties (1) of fitness for a particular purpose; (2) that any use of the website will be free from any interruptions, delays, inaccuracies, server down-time, errors or omissions; (3) that the website will be secure, or free of viruses, worms or other harmful components; (4) that the website and/or the its elements will satisfy your requirements or expectations. If you rely on this website and any elements available through this website, you do so solely at your own risk. Also, unauthorized attempts to defeat or circumvent security features, to use our website or data for other than intended purposes, to access, obtain, alter, damage, or destroy information, or otherwise to interfere with our website or its operation is prohibited. Information on attempts to circumvent security measures will be traced and will result in having the author of those actions exposed in our website in any manner we see fit.

As far as I can see, your IPs are dynamic, so just try again later on (or from a computer in a different location, if any).

[Edited at 2018-07-31 20:53 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:44
Japanese to English
+ ...
Possible scam alert Aug 1, 2018

Hello Elif, aside from the issue of your scam alert, since you are located in Turkey I believe that the fact you were denied access to the scam website has everything to do with Erdogan. A number of social media sites as well as foreign news sites (CNN Turk) are banned in Turkey. Thousands of journalist have been jailed and the press is tightly controlled by the Basbakani. Several years ago when students were demonstrating against razing of a park in Taksim, Turkey media showed films about peng... See more
Hello Elif, aside from the issue of your scam alert, since you are located in Turkey I believe that the fact you were denied access to the scam website has everything to do with Erdogan. A number of social media sites as well as foreign news sites (CNN Turk) are banned in Turkey. Thousands of journalist have been jailed and the press is tightly controlled by the Basbakani. Several years ago when students were demonstrating against razing of a park in Taksim, Turkey media showed films about penguins and schizophrenia. I believe these themes were taken up by students who included penguins and schizophrenia in their demonstration placards. You might try accessing through Chinese site Baidu. Sometimes netizens in China access Wikipedia (generally off limits) by going to Baidu first. Good luck!Collapse

Thao Tran

Alessandra Ogna Meza
Alessandra Ogna Meza
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
Same issue Aug 1, 2018

[Edited at 2018-08-01 18:47 GMT]

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
Thank you! Aug 2, 2018

I'll try that.

Natalie wrote:

Hi Elif

I have no idea, actually, but here is an excerpt from the site FAQ:

When visiting your website, I get a 403 error code (Access Denied / Forbidden). What gives?
Our website and its elements are provided on an 'as is' and 'as available' basis. We expressly disclaim all representations and warranties of any kind with respect to the webisite, its elements and any other products or services available on or through this website, whether, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any and all warranties (1) of fitness for a particular purpose; (2) that any use of the website will be free from any interruptions, delays, inaccuracies, server down-time, errors or omissions; (3) that the website will be secure, or free of viruses, worms or other harmful components; (4) that the website and/or the its elements will satisfy your requirements or expectations. If you rely on this website and any elements available through this website, you do so solely at your own risk. Also, unauthorized attempts to defeat or circumvent security features, to use our website or data for other than intended purposes, to access, obtain, alter, damage, or destroy information, or otherwise to interfere with our website or its operation is prohibited. Information on attempts to circumvent security measures will be traced and will result in having the author of those actions exposed in our website in any manner we see fit.

As far as I can see, your IPs are dynamic, so just try again later on (or from a computer in a different location, if any).

[Edited at 2018-07-31 20:53 GMT]

Elif Baykara Narbay
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
Thank you for your answer.. Aug 2, 2018

Michael Newton wrote:

Hello Elif, aside from the issue of your scam alert, since you are located in Turkey I believe that the fact you were denied access to the scam website has everything to do with Erdogan. A number of social media sites as well as foreign news sites (CNN Turk) are banned in Turkey. Thousands of journalist have been jailed and the press is tightly controlled by the Basbakani. Several years ago when students were demonstrating against razing of a park in Taksim, Turkey media showed films about penguins and schizophrenia. I believe these themes were taken up by students who included penguins and schizophrenia in their demonstration placards. You might try accessing through Chinese site Baidu. Sometimes netizens in China access Wikipedia (generally off limits) by going to Baidu first. Good luck!

Hello Michael,

thank you for your answer.

It is a fact that there are many bans here although CNN (both Turk and International) are still available as are many of the social media sites (I use only a couple of them but I know that they are still accessible (for now).

There are few ways to access Wikipedia here (a legitimate by-pass, provided by Wikipedia itself). I don't know much about Baidu apart from that it is a Chinese search engine. I'll look into it.

As to the riots and current political situation, it is a fact that there many unpleasant events and approaches here and I am in no way pro for them. But I believe that my current problem is not related to that, at least not to my attempt to access the site from Turkey. It is a possibility though that the website itself banned users from Turkey. I should check it using a VPN.

Best
Elif

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Telltale signs Aug 4, 2018

Scammers are starting to get a bit more savvy, and so sending documents up front that “look like real jobs” seems to be a more common tactic.

Where they give themselves away is by:
Offering the job to you without any preliminary interaction. (In the real world, legitimate potential clients ask for a quote, ask if you are available, and/or ask if you are comfortable translating the material in question.)
Claiming that the only possible way they can p
... See more
Scammers are starting to get a bit more savvy, and so sending documents up front that “look like real jobs” seems to be a more common tactic.

Where they give themselves away is by:
Offering the job to you without any preliminary interaction. (In the real world, legitimate potential clients ask for a quote, ask if you are available, and/or ask if you are comfortable translating the material in question.)
Claiming that the only possible way they can pay you is by check. (This is of course essential to working their scam, but it is not common for a legitimate client to *insist* on paying via check, especially if they are in a country different from your own.)
Often, such requests involve documents that appear to be very serious indeed (e.g., involving healthcare issues, medical research, or aid programs to developing countries). Sometimes, the element of personal crisis is added (“My mother is dying of brain cancer and I urgently need this document translated in order to help her get the treatment she needs.”)

The point of all this is to paralyze the critical faculties of the recipient, and make him/her feel bad about questioning the legitimacy of such an apparently heartfelt request involving matters of life and death.

In a way, I am reluctant to make such remarks, because I assume that the scammers themselves read these forums. In any event, no matter how savvy they get, paying by check is essential to working their scam, so number 2 above is the surest guide of all to detecting a potential scam.
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Addendum to previous Aug 4, 2018

So, if you have even a glimmer of hope that such an offer might be legitimate, the thing to do is request payment in advance via Western Union or MoneyGram. Such a request will likely be met with an insistence that you accept a check, or not be responded to at all.

Mariya Kontsepolskaya
Mariya Kontsepolskaya
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Beware of Sarah Osterheld <[email protected]> Aug 10, 2018

Greetings everyone,

I recently received an email from a non-member with a vague request for translation.

"You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Sarah [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 185.245.86.44
-----------

Hello,
I would like to know if you are available to translate a
document.
Thank you"

I failed
... See more
Greetings everyone,

I recently received an email from a non-member with a vague request for translation.

"You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Sarah [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 185.245.86.44
-----------

Hello,
I would like to know if you are available to translate a
document.
Thank you"

I failed to do my due diligence and confirmed my interest in the project and asked for more information. Of course, this is where it got sketchy. I received a poorly written 50 pages document written by some university student. The sender requested wire instructions to transfer an upfront fee (equating to 80% of the total cost). Thanks, but no thanks!

Just wanted to bring it to your attention. For some reason, I am not able to access www.translator-scammers.com/, would've loved to add "Sarah's" email to the list.

Regards,
Mariya
Collapse

Aleksandr Andrianov
Vladimir Kolteniuk

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
No title Aug 14, 2018

Mariya Kontsepolskaya wrote:
For some reason, I am not able to access www.translator-scammers.com/, would've loved to add "Sarah's" email to the list.

I have no problem displaying the website. Maybe you wrote/clicked the address with the coma?

Apart from this, the directory lists the CV thieves only, not the overpayment scammers as your "Sarah" - see question 37 in the FAQ on http://www.translator-scammers.com

Suk Hong
Suk Hong  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:44
Korean to English
+ ...
I've been currently dealing with Gary Spencer ([email protected]) with the same content Aug 17, 2018

It seems I've got scammed by Gary Spencer ([email protected]). I also googled the Jewish library content and Fishing in Israel and I've got response from the library website that the content is written by their known source. I did translate and waited until he made a payment. He did payment to my bank account but he mentioned it was overpaid. He informed to transfer payment to other person who is planning a seminar. I paid it but several days later, the original payment was withdrawn with... See more
It seems I've got scammed by Gary Spencer ([email protected]). I also googled the Jewish library content and Fishing in Israel and I've got response from the library website that the content is written by their known source. I did translate and waited until he made a payment. He did payment to my bank account but he mentioned it was overpaid. He informed to transfer payment to other person who is planning a seminar. I paid it but several days later, the original payment was withdrawn with unknown reason and it seems I can't find the deposit source. I'm currently dealing with my bank and the Bank of America where the transfer was made to. I have the Bank of America Account info:
The account holder name is John Franklin Woods J. and his account is in Jacksonvile, Florida.
Please avoid this scam. I will see how far I can go with these people.
I've got an email from Gary Spencer just yesterday that he has to work with the accounts team to see why the check was bounced. That means he knows it was a check already even I don't know how the deposit was made to my account. I'm currently working with Banks on this case.
Collapse

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:44
Serbian to English
+ ...
It happened to me few times Aug 19, 2018

Elif Baykara Narbay wrote:

Natalie wrote:

Take care,
Natalia

Hello Natalie,

when I clicked on the link you have provided, I got a screen stating the following information:

TRANSLATOR SCAMMERS DIRECTORY
For security reasons, your IP has been recorded: xx.xx.xxx.xx
Your System is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.99 Safari/537.36
You came from: (none)
You're located in: xxxxx, Turkey
You're accessing our website thru: Turk Telekomunikasyon Anonim Sirketi
Date / Time of access atempt: Tuesday, 31-Jul-2018 19:58:47 GMT

And below this information there is:

ACCESS DENIED
Access to this website is provided "as is" and "as available"
HTTP Error 403 • Access Denied • Forbidden • Refusé • Prohibido • Denegado • Verboten

(in 3 languages).

Since I cannot access the site even after I also typed http://www.translator-scammers.com, I cannot ask about the problem.

Since I am pretty sure that I am not a scammer, I'd like to learn the reason and I also want to visit this website.

Do you by chance have any idea about this?

I am puzzled

Elif

and I was as much puzzled. After some digging around, I found that these offending websites are using the services of some "protection filters" that obviously from time to time get into fits of advanced paranoia for no discernible reasons.

You can't do anything about it, and it's the loss of these websites for using paranoid "protectors".

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam alert

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »