Thread poster: esamuel08
esamuel08
esamuel08
Mexico
Local time: 15:02
English to Spanish
Nov 14, 2017

Hello everyone.

I just began using Omega T for English to Spanish translations and successfully added spell checking dictionaries and General Dictionaries (those that give you the definition for all of the words in a sentence) to my projects.

The thing is, I am now trying to do the same but for Japanese to English translations. What I am trying to get is the General Dictionary in Japanese so that it will give me meanings for kanji, but, I have tried some Dictionaries I
... See more
Hello everyone.

I just began using Omega T for English to Spanish translations and successfully added spell checking dictionaries and General Dictionaries (those that give you the definition for all of the words in a sentence) to my projects.

The thing is, I am now trying to do the same but for Japanese to English translations. What I am trying to get is the General Dictionary in Japanese so that it will give me meanings for kanji, but, I have tried some Dictionaries I found on the web, which contain the 3 necessary files for it to work (.dz,. idx, .ifo) and as soon as I add them the dictionary function starts to work on Omega T but it only gives me definitions for katakana words and for some particles, but it is not giving me meanings for any kanji. Do you have an idea of what might be going on? Maybe I should look for a better dictionary? If so, Do you recommend a good one?

This are the Dictionary I am currently using:

https://sites.google.com/site/gtonguedict/home/stardict-dictionaries

As you will see, there are 2 Japanese-English dictionaries, but neither of them seem to work.

Thanks a lot!
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:02
English to French
+ ...
Try the Yahoo support group Nov 15, 2017

esamuel08 wrote:

The thing is, I am now trying to do the same but for Japanese to English translations. What I am trying to get is the General Dictionary in Japanese so that it will give me meanings for kanji, but, I have tried some Dictionaries I found on the web, which contain the 3 necessary files for it to work (.dz,. idx, .ifo) and as soon as I add them the dictionary function starts to work on Omega T but it only gives me definitions for katakana words and for some particles, but it is not giving me meanings for any kanji. Do you have an idea of what might be going on? Maybe I should look for a better dictionary? If so, Do you recommend a good one?

This are the Dictionary I am currently using:

https://sites.google.com/site/gtonguedict/home/stardict-dictionaries

As you will see, there are 2 Japanese-English dictionaries, but neither of them seem to work.

If you have no answer here, I recommend trying the Yahoo support group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/info

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Japanes - English Stardict Dictionary for Omega T

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »