Anyone using OmegaT on Mac?
Thread poster: Dorte Bruun Christensen (X)
Dorte Bruun Christensen (X)
Dorte Bruun Christensen (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:55
English to Danish
+ ...
Oct 25, 2011

I just installed OmegaT on my Mac. Following the manual seems easy, only I have run into problems:(

I made a new project and tried to import the file. I´ve added a .odt and a .txt file. When opening the .odt file I get the notification that OmegaT doesn´t support this kind of file - although according to the list of files that OmegaT supports, it should be possible to work in .odt-texts.
When opening the .txt file I only see lots of signs, boxes, etc. spread in the OmegaT e
... See more
I just installed OmegaT on my Mac. Following the manual seems easy, only I have run into problems:(

I made a new project and tried to import the file. I´ve added a .odt and a .txt file. When opening the .odt file I get the notification that OmegaT doesn´t support this kind of file - although according to the list of files that OmegaT supports, it should be possible to work in .odt-texts.
When opening the .txt file I only see lots of signs, boxes, etc. spread in the OmegaT editing-field. So, it´s not text that I can really work with!

I would be really grateful for any help!

Thank you in advance!

Best regards
DOrte
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Plenty of users are using Macs Oct 26, 2011

DorteBruun wrote:
I made a new project and tried to import the file.

What happens if, instead of importing it, you just copy your file into the /source folder of the project?

I´ve added a .odt and a .txt file. When opening the .odt file I get the notification that OmegaT doesn´t support this kind of file - although according to the list of files that OmegaT supports, it should be possible to work in .odt-texts.

How did you create your .odt file?

When opening the .txt file I only see lots of signs, boxes, etc. spread in the OmegaT editing-field. So, it´s not text that I can really work with!

How did you create your .txt file?

Didier

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Just as a confirmation Oct 26, 2011

Just as a confirmation, I can tell that OmegaT runs smoothly on my iMac. Hence and as suggested by Didier, there must be something wrong with the files?

DouglasCarnall
DouglasCarnall  Identity Verified
France
French to English
OmegaT on the Mac Oct 27, 2011

I'm running OmegaT 2.2.3 update 4 on Mac OS 10.6.8 and it's stable enough. There are a couple of little tweaking irritations that let you know it's not a native Mac app--if you single click a translated segment, it does not actually move the cursor to that segment for example: you have to double click, which is un-Mac-like GUI behavior but not a showstopper.

I use LibreOffice 3.3.2 to convert .doc files to .odt, which is far from perfect, often breaking formatting, but more or less
... See more
I'm running OmegaT 2.2.3 update 4 on Mac OS 10.6.8 and it's stable enough. There are a couple of little tweaking irritations that let you know it's not a native Mac app--if you single click a translated segment, it does not actually move the cursor to that segment for example: you have to double click, which is un-Mac-like GUI behavior but not a showstopper.

I use LibreOffice 3.3.2 to convert .doc files to .odt, which is far from perfect, often breaking formatting, but more or less does the job.

I haven't reported these bugs because I should really upgrade to all the latest and greatest of both OmegaT and LibreOffice before troubling the gods of either package, but as such "upgrades" can often break a workflow that was working fine, I'll need to set aside a bit of time to do this.
Collapse

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:55
English
+ ...
ODT support Oct 27, 2011

I also have OmegaT (version 2.3.0) on a Mac. I tried it just once. It had no problems opening ODT files, but it did not get all the segments for some reason. It looked to me that it handled docx files better than ODT.

Like Douglas, I also haven’t reported the problem yet as I realize the version I have is a bit outdated.

Jean-Christophe Helary
Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 21:55
Japanese to French
+ ...
ODT support and OmegaT on the Mac Oct 28, 2011

Ambrose:

ODT support in OmegaT depends on the way you got the ODT file.

If the file comes from Word and is converted to ODT then the conversion process sometimes transforms normal strings into images.

The problem does not come from OmegaT but from the converter (LibreOffice/OOo etc. for ex.)

Word files that are converted to docx from Word itself obviously don't show this kind of problems.

Here again, that has nothing to do with Ome
... See more
Ambrose:

ODT support in OmegaT depends on the way you got the ODT file.

If the file comes from Word and is converted to ODT then the conversion process sometimes transforms normal strings into images.

The problem does not come from OmegaT but from the converter (LibreOffice/OOo etc. for ex.)

Word files that are converted to docx from Word itself obviously don't show this kind of problems.

Here again, that has nothing to do with OmegaT but with the conversion tool.

=======

Douglas:

What you describe as "bugs" are not really so. The "non-macish" behavior is just as non-windowish as it is non-linuxish. It is just a different paradigm.

As for LibreOffice producing files that end up losing some layout information, it is as in my reply to Ambrose. The culprit is the converter tool.

Although I am trying to work with free software as much as possible (see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) I decided to get Office 2008 to be able to convert to and from standard MS formats while loosing layout as little as possible.
Collapse

Dorte Bruun Christensen (X)
Dorte Bruun Christensen (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found a solution... Nov 7, 2011

..thanks to you!

Yes, the error was in the converting of the word-doc into .odt!

I converted the file now on: http://www.freefileconvert.com
and it shows perfectly in OmegaT.

Now I am keen on finally getting started properly:-))

Thank you all very much for your help!

Best regards,
Dorte

DouglasCarnall
DouglasCarnall  Identity Verified
France
French to English
.docx superior to .doc with OmegaT Nov 15, 2011

It's worth adding that the direct import of Microsoft Word .docx files into OmegaT seems better than anything you can do with .doc-->.odt (open/libreoffice)-->OmegaT

It seems better to convert .rtf or .doc files to .docx in a recent version of Word (Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac), then import the .docx into OmegaT.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:55
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not always Nov 16, 2011

DouglasCarnall wrote:

It seems better to convert .rtf or .doc files to .docx

Depends. With a DOCX file, you’re likely to end up with a tag forest, dealing with which may be more time-consuming as compared to formatting losses after DOC→ODT→DOC.

Cristina Díaz Tudela (X)
Cristina Díaz Tudela (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Omega T with google translate or Microsoft Translator for Mac May 9, 2018

Hi there!

I'm currently using Omega T on my Mac but I'm unable to make google translate or Microsoft Translator work with it. Does anyone know how to do it?

Thanks a lot.

Cris.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Use version 4 May 9, 2018

Cristina Díaz Tudela wrote:
I'm currently using Omega T on my Mac but I'm unable to make google translate or Microsoft Translator work with it. Does anyone know how to do it?

Use OmegaT version 4.

Then Options > Preferences > Machine Translation > Click on a machine translation provider > Configure.

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Anyone using OmegaT on Mac?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »