Translation and modifications of a healthy cookbook, how to?
Thread poster: lglo567
lglo567
lglo567
Israel
Dec 7, 2018

Dear translators,
I came across a YouTuber that cooks healthy desserts.
She has quite a bit of followers both on YouTube and Instagram and she has published a book that sold pretty well.
Going on google I noticed that her book exists only in its original language which gave me the idea of translating it.
I have the fortune to have a contact who is a well known chef in my country, not so much an Instagram sensation, but very well known nonetheless so I thought of offering
... See more
Dear translators,
I came across a YouTuber that cooks healthy desserts.
She has quite a bit of followers both on YouTube and Instagram and she has published a book that sold pretty well.
Going on google I noticed that her book exists only in its original language which gave me the idea of translating it.
I have the fortune to have a contact who is a well known chef in my country, not so much an Instagram sensation, but very well known nonetheless so I thought of offering him in on this idea of a potential project.

If I start such a project, were the chef tests these recipes for modifications that fit the local dietary requirements, gets his contacts to do some publicity on a talk show and me doing the translation to the local language and get a publisher to agree to publish it, How exactly do I approach the author?
In such a project can I be considered a partner and receive shares or am I a freelancer and get a one time reward for my work?
If I can be considered as a partner, how exactly do I get my share and the chefs share? and what kind of contract do I need?
Any advice will be more than appreciated,
Thanks
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well... Dec 8, 2018

It looks to me as you will be in violation of her copyright… Have you contacted her?

Hedwig Spitzer (X)

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 12:32
English to German
Suggest a partnership Dec 8, 2018

As Teresa said, you can't just grab her content (unless she publishes it under a specific Creative Common license, which I doubt), but you can contact her and try to work out a win-win partnership. Both of you are free to agree on the most favorable terms - whether that is you buying the translation rights from her for a lump sum, or a joint venture with percentages on the earnings (your chef buddy included), and so on.

As to what the most favorable terms would be, I think that woul
... See more
As Teresa said, you can't just grab her content (unless she publishes it under a specific Creative Common license, which I doubt), but you can contact her and try to work out a win-win partnership. Both of you are free to agree on the most favorable terms - whether that is you buying the translation rights from her for a lump sum, or a joint venture with percentages on the earnings (your chef buddy included), and so on.

As to what the most favorable terms would be, I think that would require quite a bit of knowledge and research in legal and business matters.

Bon appétit!
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Get the legal stuff straight beforehand Dec 8, 2018

I agree with previous posters. The first thing to sort out here is the copyright. Translation rights may have been assigned to the publisher. You can't just take any text in the public domain and translate it for gain without making sure all the legal stuff is in place.

Yolanda Broad

lglo567
lglo567
Israel
TOPIC STARTER
Of course I won't do any of this if she doesn't agree Dec 8, 2018

Thanks for all the answers.
Of course I won't do any of this if she doesn't agree - it is of course her book.
I didn't approach her yet, cause I am not very knowledgeable about the correct, convincing and profitable way of doing it.
I also worry she can try to do this idea without my help.
any suggestions? did any of you did anything similar and got favorable terms?

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Yes, but Dec 9, 2018

If you contact the author, you are likely to receive a reply that the publisher is the one to contact. I would actually suggest that you start by contacting the publisher. I've worked on a couple of books and publications and the authors have never had a say in anything to do with the translation.

[Edited at 2018-12-09 13:35 GMT]

Valérie Ourset

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation and modifications of a healthy cookbook, how to?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »