Thread poster: Christopher Schröder
B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:23
French to English
+ ...
Depends what it's used for Nov 19, 2018

I don't give a discount for anything below an 85% match. However, when translating, I find it useful to set Wordfast to display matches down to 65%. Even if those lower matches aren't directly used, they can be useful for ideas on how to put something and for keeping the translation consistent.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
NP + VP consistency Nov 19, 2018

An abstract 50% "match" (1) is but irrelevant, (2) slows down [often badly] selection and (3) edition, rendering it rather useless. Perhaps, in some language pairs such an approach--considering the nucleus of the sentence--might help a little, but still...
Either speed, or quality

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Nice 80% match from Crowdin Nov 30, 2018

A nice 80% match from Crowdin - one or two tweaks here and there, and you should be good to go, right?

30-11-2018 15-19-40

Muses Inc
Muses Inc  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
That's cute, but... Jan 14, 2019

Chris S wrote:

The helpdesk tells me the reason for this showing as a 50% match is because otherwise this 30% match wouldn't show up as a match at all. In other words, they're trying to help me, not rip me off. This seems reasonable.

The construction/instruction thing made me laugh/cry though

That's cute, but ... my client (agency) tells me that it's a 50% match, so they will pay me 50% instead of 100% --which I would get if the Translation Tool would count it face value as a 30% match...

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
That's cute too, I guess, but… Jan 14, 2019

this agency does not seem to be a good… match.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Also cute... Jan 15, 2019

Report states +9100 words, wordcount in Editor states +14.000 words. Quiet a difference.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
SDL Trados – up there with the best of them Apr 9, 2019

SDL Trados Studio 2017 thinks 0 out of 1 word plus different punctuation equates to a 62% match:

09-04-_2019_11-38-18

Both words are uppercased, after all.

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When a 50% match isn't a 50% match?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »