Will Volny
Will Volny  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:06
Member (2018)
Czech to English
+ ...
Sep 7, 2018

Does anyone have experience in both of these CAT tools? I am new to CAT tools, I am ashamed to say and realize that I'd better jump in ASAP.
regards,
Will

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:06
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Don't be ashamed! Sep 8, 2018

You are actually in very good company!
There are still plenty of professional translators who are not convinced of the blessings of a CAT tool.

However, there are a lot of us who do think they are worth spending money and especially time on - it does require patience to get familiar with a tool like Trados Studio. Don't give up - get someone to help you start, and keep trying.
It may be easier to start with a project that is already set up, and try out the features. Then
... See more
There are still plenty of professional translators who are not convinced of the blessings of a CAT tool.

However, there are a lot of us who do think they are worth spending money and especially time on - it does require patience to get familiar with a tool like Trados Studio. Don't give up - get someone to help you start, and keep trying.
It may be easier to start with a project that is already set up, and try out the features. Then it is easier to understand the options when you are faced with setting up a project for yourself.

I have never tried MemSource, but I know several colleagues who strongly prefer Trados.
Collapse

Joe Ly Sien
Will Volny

Jakov Milicevic
Jakov Milicevic  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 14:06
Member (2010)
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Trados is full of bugs... Sep 9, 2018

Christine Andersen wrote:

It may be easier to start with a project that is already set up, and try out the features. Then it is easier to understand the options when you are faced with setting up a project for yourself.

I have never tried MemSource, but I know several colleagues who strongly prefer Trados.

From my personal experience I have never had problems when creating target files using MemSource but with Trados this issue comes very often and even the SDL Trados Support doesn't know how to solve it telling you that ''they sympathize the problem''. I strongly recommend MemSource as a tool since it's more efficient, easier to use, intuitive has better QA and fair way better technical support than SDL.

[Edited at 2018-09-09 08:58 GMT]

Will Volny

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comparing Memsource to TRADOS

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »