Cloud-based CAT - Copy & paste?
Thread poster: casey
casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:24
Japanese to English
May 30, 2018

If you've worked with a cloud-based CAT tool, is it possible to copy from the online document and paste onto your own desktop? To be specific, I would like to know if I could copy a term from the online document and paste it into an online dictionary. If so, or if not, does this apply to all cloud-based CAT tools or one specific one? Thanks!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Off the top of my head May 30, 2018

casey wrote:
Is it possible to copy from the online document and paste onto your own desktop?

Off the top of my head, all online CAT tools that I have used so far allows copying text to the clipboard. Which online CAT tool and which online dictionary are you trying to use?

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:24
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still under consideration May 30, 2018

One of my clients is considering it and asked for translator opinions. My only concern was the ability to use the clipboard. I worked for a company about 10 years ago that wanted me to use their servers to do all work. That involved logging into their system and working on their OS. I could not copy anything to the clipboard, and I decided it was more hassle than it was worth, so I quit working for them. I know that the cloud-based systems are a different setup, but I just wanted to make sure I ... See more
One of my clients is considering it and asked for translator opinions. My only concern was the ability to use the clipboard. I worked for a company about 10 years ago that wanted me to use their servers to do all work. That involved logging into their system and working on their OS. I could not copy anything to the clipboard, and I decided it was more hassle than it was worth, so I quit working for them. I know that the cloud-based systems are a different setup, but I just wanted to make sure I could use the clipboard. If so, I don't have a preference as to which CAT tool is chosen.

Out of curiosity, though, between Trados and MemQ online, which would you recommend?
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
FreeTM.com May 30, 2018

Not only online CATs enable copying and converting data, but also importing and exporting TM/glossaries no problem...

On the other hand, the NDA and the internet connection make such tools not so ok for me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cloud-based CAT - Copy & paste?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »