Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 18.20.35

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
DeepL web integration is still for free Mar 24, 2018

From: https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/323909-deepl_pro_is_now_available_for_trados.html

A bit too expensive for me. 23 Mar

20 dollars per month is a bit too steep for me, especially that even if one month you just need to translate 50,000 characters, you will be charged 20 USD anyway.
Shame they haven't applied similar policy to Google Translate where you are charged for the usage from the very beginning, not after you exceed the magical 1 million characters. Or at least they could have set the limit slightly lower, say at 200,000 for lower price.

DeepL’s web interface can still be queried for free, directly from CafeTran’s interface.

This integration is actually very good: icons and keyboard shortcuts both for querying and retrieving.

So what are currently the benefits of the Pro version, besides the distraction free display and a potentially slightly more stable process?

In very rare cases, the automatic language detection of the web version can go bananas. This shouldn’t happen with the Pro version, where the languages are set via the API. Still, is it worth € 20/month? Time will learn...

Edit: Two other advantages of the Pro version, that came to mind:

• You can set your own font.
  • You can override DeepL's suggestion for selected terms via the Team feature, thus maintaining consistency:

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 08.40.00

When you have to translate badly formatted text (e.g. coming from Adobe InDesign IDML projects), DeepL Pro is doing a better job than DeepL Web:

One other advantage of the API version: dragging over one word from a suggested translation to insert it into CT's target segment editor, doesn't distort the view in the DeepL pane by popping up a menu (like in the browser), displaying alternative translations.

And, since every advantage comes with a disadvantage (or the other way around):

One disadvantage of the API is that no alternative translations are displayed anymore. I was really hoping (and in fact requested for this) that the API would allow display of alternative translations, which sometimes can be very interesting (to collect, harvest or learn).

[Edited at 2018-03-24 11:37 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Comparison DeepL web and DeepL Pro - cont. Mar 26, 2018

(Sub)segments of the suggestions of DeepL Pro, as displayed in a CafeTran pane, will be added to the AutoCompletion inventory, whereas suggestions of the free web version aren't added.

BTW: I'm currently using both the Pro and web version. The latter on a second screen, just to see the alternatives. But of course, this is a little weird.

[Edited at 2018-03-26 11:18 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
DeepL Pro doesn’t save your translations Mar 29, 2018

Another difference between the Pro and web version, is that the Pro version doesn’t store your translations: https://www.deepl.com/pro-faq.html .

Also, tag handling could possibly be implemented in the Pro version.

Does the Studio plug-in already provide this?

From the FAQ:

What does tag handling do?
With tag handling enabled, you can translate sentences with tags (e.g. XML tags). The translation engine will map the tags onto the appropriate location in the target sentence as well as it can. Please consult the API documentation for detailed information on types of tags supported.
Please note that the DeepL API does not currently translate whole XML files.

[Edited at 2018-03-29 02:44 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
CafeTran Espresso 2018 froze again Mar 29, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:

BTW: I'm currently using both the Pro and web version. The latter on a second screen, just to see the alternatives. But of course, this is a little weird.

And there is was again: the freezing of CT directly after opening an existing project. So this obviously is related to reloading a web resource (DeepL) via the Dashboard.

I've removed DeepL web from the project template and will continue with the API version.

Edit: Perhaps it's a better approach to close the web resource before quitting CT?

[Edited at 2018-03-29 09:17 GMT]

BrauerTraining
BrauerTraining
United States
Local time: 04:24
Buying DeepL Pro from the USA May 8, 2018

Hello, Hans. I am testing the CafeTran Espresso api and it looks good. So I wanted to purchase the DeepL Pro version to integrate it but I don't seem to be able to PAY for it with dollars.... It does not give me the option of buying it if I live the USA... do you fathom what it is that I may be doing wrong?????

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Contact DeepL May 9, 2018

BrauerTraining wrote:

Hello, Hans. I am testing the CafeTran Espresso api and it looks good. So I wanted to purchase the DeepL Pro version to integrate it but I don't seem to be able to PAY for it with dollars.... It does not give me the option of buying it if I live the USA... do you fathom what it is that I may be doing wrong?????

Please contact DeepL at:

DEEPL GMBH
Im Mediapark 8a
50670 Köln
Germany
Phone: +49 (0) 221 589 399 0
Mail: [email protected]
Web: www.deepl.com

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:24
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not available for CAT tools Jul 3, 2021

As far as I can understand, the DeepL API is not available for CAT tools. Or am I not understanding something?

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:24
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
For integrating DeepL in the CAT tools workflow ... Jul 3, 2021

As far as I can understand, the DeepL API is not available for CAT tools. Or am I not understanding something?

… you will need the pertinent Deepl plug-in, and of course, to pay for the DeepL Pro license. Some of the CAT tools which already can integrate DeepL via plug-in are:

- SDL Trados Studio 2017 and on
- memoQ 8.7.6 or higher
- Déjà Vu X3 or higher
- Wordfast Classic, Wordfast Anywhere, & Wordfast Pro 5.7 or higher
- Across Translator Edition and Across Language Server
- Memsource

And some other non-CAT tools, as WordPress.

Saludos

[Edited at 2021-07-03 18:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-07-03 21:00 GMT]

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:24
English to Spanish
DeepL works with many CAT tools Jul 3, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Swordfish also works with DeepL. The API works fine.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
API integration in CTE Jul 4, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

I’m indeed afraid that you misunderstood: CTE supports the DeepL API.

On a side note: in only three years, DeepL completely destroyed the market for many freelance translators. The perception of many clients is that DeepL is good enough to skip human translators. Which of course isn’t true.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Useful for the translator Jul 5, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:
The perception of many clients is that DeepL is good enough to skip human translators. Which of course isn’t true.
Then why so many people, both translators and clients, including even such old school translators as Tom, are so eager to use DeepL API? I'm afraid something is wrong with the above-quoted assumption.

DeepL can be quite useful for the translator, as a typing assistent, glossary, inspirator etc.

DeepL can be useful for business people, researchers etc. who want to understand the gist of a text in a language that they don't understand.

DeepL shouldn't be promoted by its developers or used by companies to translate user documentation automatically. It simply isn't suited for that, although the fact that you can download automatically translated MS Word documents and the preservation of the full layout in these documents suggests that the downloaded documents are ready to use.

Stepan Konev
Matthias Brombach

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DeepL Pro's API now integrated in CafeTran Espresso 2018

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »