Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:48
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Proportionate response Dec 15, 2020

Chris S wrote:
Where do I draw the line?

Never leave the house. Mice can cause fire, so prowl the building unceasingly on the lookout for small rodents. Sleep in shifts so that one of you is available at all times to dowse flames. If necessary, discontinue use of matches, stove, heating and electricity.

That might do the trick, but in some cases a more committed approach may be required.

Dan

Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney
Zibow Retailleau
Philip Lees

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Never leave the house Dec 15, 2020

But then there's Chris getting conflicting messages from his neighbour out in the garden singing "It's not unusual to go out at any time", followed immediately by "But when I see you out and about, it's such a cri-ime". What's he supposed to do?

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
. Dec 15, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
What's he supposed to do?

Enjoy the green green grass of home?

[Edited at 2020-12-15 22:01 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Definitely Dec 15, 2020

But I hear it's a bit pricier this year because supply was cut back due to Covid.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Nah... Dec 16, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
But I hear it's a bit pricier this year because supply was cut back due to Covid.

Very seldom we have a grass shortage in the UK! There are advantages to having such a mild and moist climate...

Dan

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Distribution Dec 16, 2020

I suppose the climate lends itself, yes, but more than actual production figures I meant the entire supply cycle - distribution etc. during confinement. Many a slip 'twixt truck and trip.

P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The dreaded TJV Dec 16, 2020

A man went to the doctor with a strange complaint.

MAN: "Well, it's like this Doctor: when I'm driving to work in the morning, through the country lanes, I find myself singing 'The green green grass of home'. If I see a cat, I hear the song 'What's new, pussy cat? going through my head. Even when I'm asleep I still break into song. Last night, it was 'Delilah'. My wife was not amused! What is wrong with me?"

DOCTOR: "Hmmm..... it would appear that you have been infecte
... See more
A man went to the doctor with a strange complaint.

MAN: "Well, it's like this Doctor: when I'm driving to work in the morning, through the country lanes, I find myself singing 'The green green grass of home'. If I see a cat, I hear the song 'What's new, pussy cat? going through my head. Even when I'm asleep I still break into song. Last night, it was 'Delilah'. My wife was not amused! What is wrong with me?"

DOCTOR: "Hmmm..... it would appear that you have been infected with TJV."

MAN: "TJV?"

DOCTOR: "Tom Jones Virus"

MAN: "Well; I've never heard of TJV. Is this a common complaint?"

DOCTOR: "It's not unusual"
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Kay Denney
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Dan Lucas
Zibow Retailleau
Matthias Brombach

Jrome
Jrome
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Some closure Dec 16, 2020

Hey everyone! Just wanted to inform you I ended up refusing the offer. I asked my interlocutor some questions regarding the Terms, and while some of the answers I got were reassuring, all in all there were too many unknown factors and worrying clauses and it wouldn't have felt right to sign it and potentially have all that hanging over my head in the future.

Thanks again for all your answers, you've all been a great help!...
See more
Hey everyone! Just wanted to inform you I ended up refusing the offer. I asked my interlocutor some questions regarding the Terms, and while some of the answers I got were reassuring, all in all there were too many unknown factors and worrying clauses and it wouldn't have felt right to sign it and potentially have all that hanging over my head in the future.

Thanks again for all your answers, you've all been a great help!
Collapse

Tom in London
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies' NDAs and "Terms and Conditions"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »