Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 26, 2020

I know times are difficult for some, but dear fellow translators could you please do your homework before sending your CVs? Even though my website and all the platforms and associations I belong to say clearly that I only translate from and into European Portuguese, in the past 36 hours my inbox has been flooded with CVs (52 in total so far) from translators all over the world: English-Korean, English-German, Italian-English, Norwegian/Swedish-English, German-English, English-Japanese, English-S... See more
I know times are difficult for some, but dear fellow translators could you please do your homework before sending your CVs? Even though my website and all the platforms and associations I belong to say clearly that I only translate from and into European Portuguese, in the past 36 hours my inbox has been flooded with CVs (52 in total so far) from translators all over the world: English-Korean, English-German, Italian-English, Norwegian/Swedish-English, German-English, English-Japanese, English-Slovak, Polish-English, German-Italian, English-Chinese, you name it! What’s the use of sending CVs indiscriminately? Isn’t that a complete waste of time? Curiously enough, some claim having 25 years of experience, shouldn’t they know better? I really needed to get this off my chest.Collapse

Walter Landesman
William Tierney
Dan Lucas
Christel Zipfel
Kevin Fulton
Jorge Payan
Giuliana Buscaglione

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:04
German to English
You may be on a list Aug 26, 2020

There are individuals peddling lists with the details of thousands of agencies / contacts to the unwary. Your details have have been harvested from the membership roster of an association you may have joined long ago, or even recently.

writeaway
Joe France
Philippe Etienne
Christophe Delaunay
Tina Vonhof (X)
expressisverbis

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
It happens to all of us Aug 27, 2020

It's just spam. Most of these emails have the word 'translator' in the subject line, in contrast to legitimate inquiries that usually say 'translation project'. By consistently sending these emails to my junk folder, my email program now does that automatically.

Jorge Payan
expressisverbis

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kenvin + Tina Aug 27, 2020

My point was not that. My point was about the uselessness of sending CVs without doing the necessary homework; I mean what’s the point of sending your CV to someone who does not work with your source and target language(s)? I do outsource occasionally but exclusively from and into European Portuguese and I welcome those CVs...

Luciana Dalotto

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:04
German to English
Dubious advice given Aug 28, 2020

Back before the internet revolutionized the translation industry, there was a hard copy (!) publication for translators called "Glenn's Guide" which listed agency contact details, as well as specialties (languages, subject matter, etc.). This was when LSPs tended to specialize, and there were few quality agencies offering "all languages, all subjects". The publication also offered advice on how to approach LSPs. One suggestion was that translators might sent their CVs to agencies that did not ne... See more
Back before the internet revolutionized the translation industry, there was a hard copy (!) publication for translators called "Glenn's Guide" which listed agency contact details, as well as specialties (languages, subject matter, etc.). This was when LSPs tended to specialize, and there were few quality agencies offering "all languages, all subjects". The publication also offered advice on how to approach LSPs. One suggestion was that translators might sent their CVs to agencies that did not necessarily offer services in their language or specialty, in the hope that the agency might someday need the services of a translator with a different language combination or expertise.

Teresa's experience, as well as my own to a lesser extent, is evidence that this scattershot approach is still used, unfortunately.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
Of course Aug 28, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

My point was not that. My point was about the uselessness of sending CVs without doing the necessary homework; I mean what’s the point of sending your CV to someone who does not work with your source and target language(s)? I do outsource occasionally but exclusively from and into European Portuguese and I welcome those CVs...

Of course it's useless and therefore not worth looking at or thinking about, let alone replying to.

Inga Petkelyte
expressisverbis

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
An update Jan 27, 2021

Until recently both my inbox and my spam box kept being flooded with a torrent of CVs from EU translators and very occasionally from Japanese translators but now it looks that Chinese translators are also interested in working with BPT… Who’s next?

Mohamad Alayoubi
Mohamad Alayoubi
Lebanon
Local time: 19:04
English to Arabic
Maybe extend your services Jan 28, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

Until recently both my inbox and my spam box kept being flooded with a torrent of CVs from EU translators and very occasionally from Japanese translators but now it looks that Chinese translators are also interested in working with BPT… Who’s next?

I have a genuine question , if you have a lot of Translators why don't you add more language combinations that your agency can handle ?

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but no! Jan 28, 2021

Mohamad Alayoubi wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

I have a genuine question , if you have a lot of Translators why don't you add more language combinations that your agency can handle ?

Because my agency has enough work as such and because since the very beginning (in 1985), for a question of quality control, we decided to translate exclusively from and into European Portuguese. I‘m not interested in growing more: Small is beautiful!

Kay Denney
Dan Lucas

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
CV Jan 28, 2021

Dear Teresa,

I am glad to have the chance to catch you here. As you are aware, I have sent you my CV no fewer than 100 times within the last year. You never reply, so I send it again and again and again. You can imagine how frustrated I feel. Is there any reason for this totally disparaging attitude?

[Edited at 2021-01-28 11:23 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis
Adieu

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
LOL! Jan 28, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Dear Teresa,

I am glad to have the chance to catch you here. As you are aware, I have sent you my CV no fewer than 100 times within the last year. You never reply, so I send it again and again and again. You can imagine how frustrated I feel. Is there any reason for this totally disparaging attitude?

[Edited at 2021-01-28 11:23 GMT]

Thank you, Mervyn!

Christopher Schröder

Mohamad Alayoubi
Mohamad Alayoubi
Lebanon
Local time: 19:04
English to Arabic
Thank you for the reply Jan 28, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

Mohamad Alayoubi wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Because my agency has enough work as such and because since the very beginning (in 1985), for a question of quality control, we decided to translate exclusively from and into European Portuguese. I‘m not interested in growing more: Small is beautiful!

Thank you so much for the reply , great insight and i hope that you get rid of this problem ( i know it's impossible ) .
Kind regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On sending CVs

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »