Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Please contribute to the translator opinion poll (TOP)
Thread poster: Tom Hoar (X)
W2G
W2G  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:12
We explain a bit more... Mar 22, 2018

Andy Watkinson wrote:

Tom Hoar wrote:

Did you ever wish an agency or customer would ask you what you want and how the customer/agency/translation should evolve? If so, this is an opportunity to tell them.

Do I wish the client would accept my (slightly inflated) stated fee rather than let me be haggled down to a merely acceptable one?
Yes

Do I wish the client would stop sending me the kind of PDFs which give me and my OCR nightmares and just send me a straightforward Word file?
Yes

Do I wish they'd be more realistic with their delivery dates?
Of course.

I've spent 40 years trying to convince them of the above, amongst others.

Don't think you or any of the various entities you've mentioned will do any better than me but if you think you can, that's fine by me.

Still don't understand what you're talking about though.

Dear Andy,
thank you for your feedback. We’d like to tell you a bit of our story.
Many years ago we started an innovative business model that helped us to grow together with our translators. This unique business model, that we are still using nowadays, consists in paying those translators, whose quality of work and reliability are excellent, a per word rate PLUS an hourly rate according to the time spent working on the translation.
We have a DTP department that convert PDFs into Word files, since we know that having an editable file is the best way of working for a translator.
Moreover, if the deadline is too tight, we pay a higher rate, of course.
We already do all this, but we believe that reducing the debate only to rates would be reductive. What we hope we'll manage to do is to improve our business model and to show to other companies and institutions that this is something possible to do. To achieve this goal it is fundamental to understand what are the needs, the wishes and the expectations of translators, not only in terms of money.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:12
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tom Mar 22, 2018

Even if all the glitches are worked today, my patience has run out! I did answer everything thoroughly only to be returned back to the 1st page after finishing it. I’m afraid that it doesn’t bode well for your TOP poll…

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 09:12
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Advertising. Mar 22, 2018

I didn't know this form of direct advertising was free on ProZ and allowed on the fora?

Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
Local time: 04:12
English
TOPIC STARTER
What advertising? Mar 22, 2018

I didn't know this form of direct advertising was free on ProZ and allowed on the fora?

We invite you to share your opinions. We give you some information about who we are and why we're asking. Some forum members have found the survey itself confusing while others have completed it without problems. We're working through those issues with the school in Italy.

So if you don't mind elaborating, "Lingua 5B," what do you perceive as the product or service that's being advertised here on this fora(sic)? I won't argue and I'll be happy to clarify.

Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
Local time: 04:12
English
TOPIC STARTER
No idea about "Still no idea..." Mar 22, 2018

Still don't understand what you're talking about though.

@Andy. I, too am confused about why you are confused. I'm sorry that I can't help you. Thank you for sharing.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please contribute to the translator opinion poll (TOP)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »