Valentina Ambrogio  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:16
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 25, 2015

Hello!

I've already asked this question elsewhere, but nobody answered. This is mainly for my Italian colleagues, but other opinions from others are of course very welcome

An Italian agency contacted me the other day to discuss a possible collaboration for HoH subtitling. I was told their rate for HoH subtitling is € 1,80 per minute (time-codes included). My question is: is this what I should expect f
... See more
Hello!

I've already asked this question elsewhere, but nobody answered. This is mainly for my Italian colleagues, but other opinions from others are of course very welcome

An Italian agency contacted me the other day to discuss a possible collaboration for HoH subtitling. I was told their rate for HoH subtitling is € 1,80 per minute (time-codes included). My question is: is this what I should expect from Italian agencies in this field? I've read the "CCNL per il doppiaggio (AIDAC)" but it doesn't cover HoH subtitling, only "regular" subtitling.

Could you please share your views and experiences? I have found it very hard to enter this branch of the industry, so I would like to be prepared to what may or may not come.

Looking forward to knowing your opinions.

Grazie!

Valentina
Collapse

Sona Ozorakova
Sona Ozorakova  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Member (2020)
English to Slovak
Subtitling rate May 25, 2015

Maybe this will help you:

Translation: USD 2.25 per minute runtime

See more

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/115555-[subtitling_rates]_subttile_pricing_in_uk.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/53606-[subtitling_rates]_price_per_minute.html

[Edited at 2015-05-25 08:46 GMT]

Collapse

Valentina Ambrogio
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but... May 25, 2015

Sona Ozorakova wrote:

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/115555-[subtitling_rates]_subttile_pricing_in_uk.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/53606-[subtitling_rates]_price_per_minute.html

...I'm talking about subtitling for the hard of hearing. Italian > Italian.

Thanks anyway!

Silvia DC

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
Local time: 12:16
English to French
SDH rates May 25, 2015

Hi Valentina,

I do not work for Italian agency, but I do quite a lot of French to French SDH subtitling. I worked for Belgian, UK and French agencies and their rate varies from €4.00 to €7.00 per minute, sometimes the French script is even included.

So €1.80 per minute is peanuts.

I hope that helps.

Jorge Payan
Frauke Hellerich

Valentina Ambrogio
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I thought May 26, 2015

Faustine Roux wrote:

Hi Valentina,

I do not work for Italian agency, but I do quite a lot of French to French SDH subtitling. I worked for Belgian, UK and French agencies and their rate varies from €4.00 to €7.00 per minute, sometimes the French script is even included.

So €1.80 per minute is peanuts.

I hope that helps.

Thanks Faustine!

I know, this rate is very low. I just wanted to figure out whether this rate was common among Italian agencies or this was just the worst case scenario.

Thanks again

Valentina

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Maybe May 26, 2015

Maybe € 1.80/min for HoH subtitling is common in Italy. However, the rate is extremely low, especially when this 1 minutes contains > 60 words, but it's still an extremely low rate. You should ask for a minimum of € 4.00/minute. They surely don't charge their clients around € 2.50/minute.

Jorge Payan

Valentina Ambrogio
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree May 26, 2015

Thayenga wrote:

They surely don't charge their clients around € 2.50/minute.

I'm sure they are not charging that at all! I really hope this was the worst case scenario. I've just sent an email explaining why their rate is too low and I also included a link to the Italian National Agreement regulating Dubbing and Subtitling services.

I hope my little "lecture" struck a chord

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
If only May 27, 2015

Valentina Ambrogio wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

They surely don't charge their clients around € 2.50/minute.

I'm sure they are not charging that at all! I really hope this was the worst case scenario. I've just sent an email explaining why their rate is too low and I also included a link to the Italian National Agreement regulating Dubbing and Subtitling services.

I hope my little "lecture" struck a chord

It will struck a cord, making them look for the cheapest translator. [sigh].

Debora Blake
Debora Blake  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Old habits die hard Oct 21, 2016

I'm jumping in to this discussion to add that I was just contacted by yet another agency based in India that's offering $1.80 per minute for French to French SDH subtitling. These people are either oblivious, disconnected from reality or total scam artists. Or perhaps a cocktail of all of that mixed together.

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 14:16
Estonian to English
+ ...
asia Oct 21, 2016

Very many Asian agencies offer the same rate for French and e.g. Polish. For them it's all the same Europe, just like some European agencies offer the same rate for Japanese and Chinese, as it's all Asia anyway. The only bad thing is that the rates are not usually going up for Polish but down for French.

Andreas Granzow
Andreas Granzow
Germany
German to English
+ ...
That is actually still ... Feb 6, 2017

Debora Blake wrote:

I'm jumping in to this discussion to add that I was just contacted by yet another agency based in India that's offering $1.80 per minute for French to French SDH subtitling. These people are either oblivious, disconnected from reality or total scam artists. Or perhaps a cocktail of all of that mixed together.

... a "good price" considering the location of the company.
The lowest rate offered to me was EUR 0.80 per minute of video.

In my opinion, that is not only the case with subtitling, though. It is very similar when it comes to translations. I'd have to translate close to 10 words to get the money I get for a translation coming from an EU agency.

[Edited at 2017-02-06 21:47 GMT]

Alex Ossa

Daniela Marcello
Daniela Marcello
Italy
English to Italian
It>It HoH subs Jul 7, 2017

I've worked on It>It HoH subs for 2.50 EUR per minute, but it's still a low rate. It should be at least 3.50/4 EUR.
Hope it helps.

Alex Ossa
Alex Ossa  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:16
Member (2017)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A bit uncharitable, I think... Apr 16, 2021

Debora Blake wrote:

Although any of those *could* be true, it's more likely that they are offering rates that are related to the PPP in their own country - as most companies do. If it's too low for you, don't take it. I certainly wouldn't. But that doesn't mean that other wouldn't find it acceptable if they live in a low-cost country and/or are just starting out. Everyone's reality is different.

On a side note, I have done subtitling for an Indian company at US$4.50/min. I don't think that's very common though - I get the feeling they were paying extra for someone with my specific knowledge/experience (business) and so they could tell their client they had a British translator.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDH subtitling rate - € 1.80 per minute

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »