Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 is live
Thread poster: ghislandi
EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 21:44
full of bugs Aug 2, 2017

I think this release was a bit premature.
Even after installing the update this morning the tool continues to crash every few minutes despite having taken all measures recommended by SDL (removing plugins, deleting configuration data, etc.).
I really hope you guys are working on this. I'm switching to MemoQ for the time-being.

[Edited at 2017-08-02 06:12 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Agreed Aug 2, 2017

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Is there a technical reason why we still need to select exactly 5 languages after every single update, no matter how small?

I only want English, French, Greek. Who thought of this limitation? How many translators do you know that work with exactly five languages? Are they a majority? I'm afraid not. So, please remove this frustrating limitation.

I can see why SDL for economic reasons don't want more than 5 languages in the freelance version, but why someone who needs less (I mainly need English and Norwegian) has to add some dummy languages he doesn't really need, is foolishness and has been a frustration for years.

So I wholeheartedly agree.

Scott Graham
Scott Graham
Local time: 20:44
German to English
Buggy - was this really tested..???? Aug 2, 2017

A buggy mess. Since installing SR1 my machine crashes every hour or so. It feels slower and is missing high matches that occurred just a few lines above. (Feels like the TM is not being updated with the confirmed segments quickly enough). Horrible...
There's really no excuse for releasing a SR that works so poorly. Studio2017 was OK before this
Maybe the developer should spend more time on fixing all of the well-known
... See more
A buggy mess. Since installing SR1 my machine crashes every hour or so. It feels slower and is missing high matches that occurred just a few lines above. (Feels like the TM is not being updated with the confirmed segments quickly enough). Horrible...
There's really no excuse for releasing a SR that works so poorly. Studio2017 was OK before this
Maybe the developer should spend more time on fixing all of the well-known bugs and irritations instead of adding more 'functionality'.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Nothing planned Aug 2, 2017

Stepan Konev wrote:

ghislandi,
As a topic starter, could you please also convey to SDL guys if they plan anything for merging/splitting sdlxliff files?
Neither Studio itself, nor Split/MergeSDLXLIFF application (with Studio 2017) cannot do that at the moment (let me know if I miss something). For now, I have to use a third-party CAT tool to glue multiple files.
Thank you.

Hi Stepan,

There is nothing planned for this capability. If you want to see it then create an idea and see whether you get support from others. The product team won't pick up ideas from a forum.

http://ideas.sdl.com

It has been raised a few times in here and in the SDL Community but I don't believe anybody ever suggested it as an idea in the place it does most good.

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Agreed - the data is already there Aug 2, 2017

Roy Oestensen wrote:
I can see why SDL for economic reasons don't want more than 5 languages in the freelance version, but why someone who needs less (I mainly need English and Norwegian) has to add some dummy languages he doesn't really need, is foolishness and has been a frustration for years.

I too would use the words "foolishness" and "frustration", especially given that this information is already contained within the existing Trados installation and could be extracted by the installer for the new version. There is no reason why the software should require the user, no, let me rephrase that, the paying user to do this manually at all.

It is very clear that SDL has taken a look at this, decided that it's low priority, and has simply not assigned anybody to fix it.

I have raised this before and essentially my complaint was brushed off by SDL. I also raised the question of why it takes so many clicks to add termbases, when it would be straightforward to add a pop-up menu that allows you to select from recently used termbases, either for use as they are or for use as a template. Again, if I remember correctly, I got a bit of waffle essentially saying that this isn't perceived to be a problem by other users. And the same for printing functions, the inability to easily switch between primary termbases, and so on.

There are far too many issues of this kind in Trados. All companies know they have to fix the major irritations, because they rapidly make the software unusable. Very few seem to understand that chipping away at exactly this kind of minor irritation is what creates buttery smooth, delightful user experiences that woo users away from competing applications. I guess the development team has been given other priorities.

I sometimes worry about my investment of time and money in the SDL platform. I have seen so many apparently invulnerable companies rise, only to fall after a series of missteps. Who would have thought that Nokia, the unassailable global leader in cellphones in 2005, would have disappeared a mere decade later? If SDL thinks its industry-leading position cannot be usurped, it may be in for a nasty surprise. MemoQ anyone?

If you have user loyalty, that helps cushion problems for a while. Consistently ignoring issues like the one commented on above is not the way to build the kind of user loyalty that tides you over when you have a few short-term problems.

Dan

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Probably cloud based CAT tools are a bigger threat for SDL than memoQ or WordFast Aug 2, 2017

Dan Lucas wrote:
I sometimes worry about my investment of time and money in the SDL platform. I have seen so many apparently invulnerable companies rise, only to fall after a series of missteps. Who would have thought that Nokia, the unassailable global leader in cellphones in 2005, would have disappeared a mere decade later? If SDL thinks its industry-leading position cannot be usurped, it may be in for a nasty surprise. MemoQ anyone?

If you have user loyalty, that helps cushion problems for a while. Consistently ignoring issues like the one commented on above is not the way to build the kind of user loyalty that tides you over when you have a few short-term problems.

My main reason for continuing to use Studio is that many of the agencies I work for, still are using Studio, not user loyalty. If the agencies didn't, I would have left Studio a long time ago for Dejavu, which really is my main tool.

But my impression is that more and more agencies are choosing cloud based tools that the translators can use for free. I don't find them as satisfying as offline CAT tools like memoQ or Dejavu or even Studio from a translator's perspective, but for the agencies they apparently have big advantages. I can mention memsource, XTM, and Coach, which more and more agencies seem to choose these days. So SDL should not be too certain of keeping their position in the translation industry.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Early adopters: beware. Aug 2, 2017

It's not a good idea to adopt new SDL products and upgrades early, as SDL have a well-earned reputation of publishing half-baked software.

That aside, I strongly agree with Dan: I'd really appreciate if we could finally get rid of at least some of the gazillions of annoying quirks that massively impact my productivity* before new bug-ridden features are added.

*) To name just one example, approx. one out of three mouse actions I find myself doing is to move the pointer
... See more
It's not a good idea to adopt new SDL products and upgrades early, as SDL have a well-earned reputation of publishing half-baked software.

That aside, I strongly agree with Dan: I'd really appreciate if we could finally get rid of at least some of the gazillions of annoying quirks that massively impact my productivity* before new bug-ridden features are added.

*) To name just one example, approx. one out of three mouse actions I find myself doing is to move the pointer somewhere else, as some completely irrelevant hover box is hiding the target segment.

The main problem I'm having with Studio is not lack of functionality, but lack of ergonomics and reliability.
Collapse

Francesco Varotto
Francesco Varotto  Identity Verified
Member (2021)
English to Italian
+ ...
The translation unit was not updated no errors detected - Trados Studio 2017 update of SR1 Aug 2, 2017

I wonder if anybody else is experiencing this problem after the last update of the SR1.
Now, even if I have just translated a segment and sent it to the memory with CTRL+Enter if I come across the same segment (i.e. a 100% match) the translation result windows shows the message "The translation unit was not updated no errors detected". If I use the concordance I get my translated sentence so it has been saved in the memory.
This never occurred to me before and I have been using Trado
... See more
I wonder if anybody else is experiencing this problem after the last update of the SR1.
Now, even if I have just translated a segment and sent it to the memory with CTRL+Enter if I come across the same segment (i.e. a 100% match) the translation result windows shows the message "The translation unit was not updated no errors detected". If I use the concordance I get my translated sentence so it has been saved in the memory.
This never occurred to me before and I have been using Trados since the 1995...
Unfortunately I have received a new job just after I made the last update and now this issue is slowing me down a lot.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Collapse

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Cloud everything Aug 3, 2017

Roy Oestensen wrote:
But my impression is that more and more agencies are choosing cloud based tools that the translators can use for free.

That's a good point. Either way, SDL cannot rest on its laurels.

To be fair I am sure the company is well aware of that. They will no doubt have a carefully laid out roadmap for Studio. However, I suspect that management has set its goals based on more easily measured indicators such as lines of new code written or number of new features added, rather than on vague and difficult to measure concepts such as user interface "smoothness".

I would really like to see Studio doing more to anticipate what I want and making it possible to achieve this in as few clicks as possible. We have already listed some of the existing (and long-standing) issues above, but I would also like new features to focus on usability. All this auto-suggestion and uplift stuff is nice, but it is not a crucial feature for me. That is, it doesn't seem to offer a significant advantage while translating.

Something that would improve my productivity a great deal more than uplift would be a filter that works on text formatting. For example, many of my clients send me packages or Word files in which they have highlighted the text (or changed its color) that needs to be translated. This text may only account for 2% or 5% the total, and identifying those segments that need translating takes a lot of time.

If there were a text formatting filter, I would be able to apply a filter that shows all segments containing (say) green text. Then I could lock everything else and focus only on those segments. That would be a huge time saver, far more so than auto-suggest in my language pair. Since my proposal for such a text formatting filter function has, I believe, garnered a dozen votes on SDL's forum (a good number for that sort of thing), it is clearly something that other users believe would be useful.

Unfortunately, this is "boring" functionality, not a sexy new feature that SDL's marketing team can talk about, so I think the priority for implementing this is probably quite low, if it is on the list at all. I didn't expect to see it in the latest release and, if I'm honest, I don't expect to see it in the next major release either.

Still, it would be nice to have, not least because it would perhaps indicate that SDL is approaching usability more from the perspective of day-to-day usability for seasoned translators, rather than focusing on flashy new functions that make good advertising copy.

Regards,
Dan

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Agree Aug 3, 2017

Dan Lucas wrote:

There are far too many issues of this kind in Trados. All companies know they have to fix the major irritations, because they rapidly make the software unusable. Very few seem to understand that chipping away at exactly this kind of minor irritation is what creates buttery smooth, delightful user experiences that woo users away from competing applications. I guess the development team has been given other priorities.

Well said Dan. I am under the impression that at the moment their priorities are mostly (and IMO sadly) MT-related.

As for those who wrote about a bugged release (here and in other threads), well, I never installed a new Studio version soon after it was released. When they released SR3 for Studio 2015 (only last February), the installer itself was bugged(!) and made Studio unusable... That speaks volumes about their thoroughness and thoughtfulness in testing their releases... Besides, the SDL support section of this forum is probably the most active and rife with bugs/issues reports, despite there being a dedicated support community on their own website.

Personally, I would expect that when a software house releases a product (especially if it is a quite expensive piece of professional software people depend on to earn their livelihood), that product be complete, stable, thoroughly tested and bug free (i.e. not needing any "service release", "service pack", patch, etc.), even if (especially if) that means getting a new release every x years instead of x months... but I guess that is an unreasonable expectation (which goes against their business model), and that we should be thankful for this apparently endless update/upgrade spiral we've been plunged into...

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:44
English to Russian
7161 votes already there Aug 3, 2017

SDL Community wrote:

If you want to see it then create an idea and see whether you get support from others. The product team won't pick up ideas from a forum.

It has been raised a few times in here and in the SDL Community but I don't believe anybody ever suggested it as an idea in the place it does most good.

It wasn't ever suggested because there was an app for that. It was downloaded 7161 times.
But it just stopped working with brand new Studio 2017.

Do SDL really need 16 votes on their New Idea platform when the application already has 7161 votes and 5-star rating on App Store?

[Edited at 2017-08-03 12:22 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
No point asking this question really... Aug 3, 2017

Stepan Konev wrote:

Do SDL really need 16 votes on their New Idea platform when the application already has 7161 votes and 5-star rating on App Store?

I suggested this for a reason, it's up to you whether you do it or not. The ideas pages are a direct link to SDL product management... if it was me I'd take advantage of it.

Regards

Paul

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:44
English to Russian
Thanks Aug 3, 2017

Thank you for you effort and recommendation Paul.
Though I have already posted this idea (merge/split segments in equal portions). To no avail.

Many people suggested an option that allows reading TM from first to last segment (but not 1 to 50, 51 to 100, 101 to 150, etc.). Was it ever heard by management? No, "Trados uses a different concept".
Many people suggested an option that allows reverse search in TM (do not confuse with target search). Was it ever heard? No, "Tr
... See more
Though I have already posted this idea (merge/split segments in equal portions). To no avail.

Many people suggested an option that allows reading TM from first to last segment (but not 1 to 50, 51 to 100, 101 to 150, etc.). Was it ever heard by management? No, "Trados uses a different concept".
Many people suggested an option that allows reverse search in TM (do not confuse with target search). Was it ever heard? No, "Trados uses a different concept".
So...
I'm very skeptical about it. Dan Lucas just worded what is widely understood.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Ideas Aug 3, 2017

Stepan Konev wrote:

Can you provide the link, I could not find this?

Stepan Konev wrote:

You mean this idea:

https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/translation-productivity-ideas/i/trados-studio-ideas/navigation-improvement-to-translation-memory-editor

It is under review which means that Product Management have seen it and have taken it in for planning but it has not been allocated to a release vehicle yet. If this was easy to do we would have definitely done this by now. Apparently it's not as easy as it sounds.

Stepan Konev wrote:

Many people suggested an option that allows reverse search in TM (do not confuse with target search). Was it ever heard? No, "Trados uses a different concept".
So...
I'm very skeptical about it. Dan Lucas just worded what is widely understood.

I don't know what you mean here? If you know the idea can you post it?

There is little point to discuss this really though. The product management team have got behind the new ideas site we launched in February and have committed to taking every idea and either telling you they won't do it, or eventually doing it. If any idea has a status "New" then it has not been looked at by the product management team. Any other status means they have already started to review it.

That's it. Your call whether you choose to be sceptical or not, and whether you choose to use this opportunity to engage with them in a place where it does the most good or not.

Regards

Paul

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
If the mountain will not come to Mohammed... Aug 3, 2017

SDL Community wrote:
That's it. Your call whether you choose to be sceptical or not, and whether you choose to use this opportunity to engage with them in a place where it does the most good or not.

Paul, while I appreciate your presence and your (nearly always) useful contributions here, I think it's relevant to point out, just by the by, that if SDL does not engage and retain the loyalty of its current cohort of users, it will be SDL that suffers over the long term, rather than the users. The onus to perform is on SDL, not the users.

By analogy, the people who used Nokia cell phones in 2005 are not suffering today because Nokia has essentially disappeared. Conversely, I suspect many ex-Nokia employees are indeed living in materially less favorable circumstances than they were 10 years ago.

With regard to the ideas platform, users of Studio have been actively submitting opinions and proposals in this forum for many, many years. That SDL management has not, as far as any of us can tell, sought to take advantage of this free and publicly available source of feedback and ideas probably explains and perhaps partly justifies the scepticism you note above.

Myself, I do actually think that the ideas platform is a useful step forward and as you know I have used it to submit a proposal.

Dan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 is live

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »