Would Trados 2017 split a big file into several translators and then merge it as a single file?
Thread poster: javierxp
javierxp
javierxp
Spain
Jun 9, 2017

Hello, I am wondering if SDL Trados 2017 can do this.

Let's imagine we have a file of 200 pages, very big.

We would need 8 translators for this project, because we want every translator work in only 25 pages (each one)
8 translators x 25 pages each one = 200 pages.

Okay, now we have selected the 8 translators and they are waiting their SDLXLIFF files.

I am wondering if I can drag and drop this big file of 200 pages in Trados and I could g
... See more
Hello, I am wondering if SDL Trados 2017 can do this.

Let's imagine we have a file of 200 pages, very big.

We would need 8 translators for this project, because we want every translator work in only 25 pages (each one)
8 translators x 25 pages each one = 200 pages.

Okay, now we have selected the 8 translators and they are waiting their SDLXLIFF files.

I am wondering if I can drag and drop this big file of 200 pages in Trados and I could get an assistant allowing me to split this big file in a certain number of translators, for example, 8.

Then, I would get 8 different SDLXLIFF files, perfectly ordered, covering all the pages of the word file.

I would send now the 8 different SDLXLIFF files to the 8 translators...

They will translate the files, I would receive then via email

And now, I should be able TO MERGE all those SDLXLIFF files into a single file, to be able to export it as Word.

In this way, a big file, was splitted into several translators and was merged (recomposed) allowing it comes back as a single file.

Is this possible?

If not, I will submit this as an idea for Trados 2018

Cheers
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:07
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Check out SDL Trados Studio 2017 Professional Jun 9, 2017

I have a feeling you may need SDL Trados Studio 2017 Professional to do what you want. It is geared towards companies, while the Freelance version is geared towards individual translators. Check the web site of SDL. In addition I would check with SDL directly personally, just in case.

And by the way, if you are waiting for Studio 2018, you wil probably have to wait a long time, since the next version would normally be Studio 2019.

Actually I think what you need is the f
... See more
I have a feeling you may need SDL Trados Studio 2017 Professional to do what you want. It is geared towards companies, while the Freelance version is geared towards individual translators. Check the web site of SDL. In addition I would check with SDL directly personally, just in case.

And by the way, if you are waiting for Studio 2018, you wil probably have to wait a long time, since the next version would normally be Studio 2019.

Actually I think what you need is the following app:
SDLXLIFF Split/Merge
http://appstore.sdl.com/list/?search=xliff%20split/merge
Description:
"SDLXLIFF Split/Merge Application allows users to perform split of large SDLXLIFF files and merge split files into a single SDLXLIFF file. Once installed, you will ..."

At times a search on the Internet does help.

Regards,
Roy

[Edited at 2017-06-09 08:38 GMT]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:07
English to Thai
+ ...
Legacy of SDLX Jun 9, 2017

javierxp wrote:

And now, I should be able TO MERGE all those SDLXLIFF files into a single file, to be able to export it as Word.

In this way, a big file, was splitted into several translators and was merged (recomposed) allowing it comes back as a single file.

Is this possible?

I still have SDLX in my PC. SDLX enables source text splitting as I like e.g. splitting by volume, number of segments, number of split files.
Simple way is used: Open source files in SDLX, split, and translate with Trados 2015 etc.

Dr. Soonthon Lupkitaro Ph.D.
Bangkok, Thailand

javierxp
javierxp
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the replies Jun 9, 2017

I have SDL Trados Studio 2017, and it is very nice, but not perfect. I am aware of the plugin you recommended me (SDLXLIFF Split/Merge), but it is my feeling that agencies are expecting this feature by default.
We wouldn't have to wait a lot for Trados 2018, because in 6 months we will face the year. Trados 2018 should be ready in 11 months, more or less, unless the policy states that it should be relased at some point of 2019
Anyway, I had problems with several agencies. They contin
... See more
I have SDL Trados Studio 2017, and it is very nice, but not perfect. I am aware of the plugin you recommended me (SDLXLIFF Split/Merge), but it is my feeling that agencies are expecting this feature by default.
We wouldn't have to wait a lot for Trados 2018, because in 6 months we will face the year. Trados 2018 should be ready in 11 months, more or less, unless the policy states that it should be relased at some point of 2019
Anyway, I had problems with several agencies. They continue with Trados 2011, 2015... and if they have to buy a plugin and espend money... why to do this when mateCAT gives you this for free?
In two projects I was forced to work with mateCAT, thing I don't like at all, because my TM are in Trados and not in mateCAT, also it is very slow... and the browser sometimes freeze, so I don't like to work with mateCAT, but the agency forces me to work in mateCAT because they give the possibility to split the projects in a very easy way.
The final result is: The agency use a different system mateCAT, the translator suffer because is forced to work there or the project go to a different translator which will say yes (and we all know how is the competence in this sector), and finally SDL do not sell a new license. Finally, the current customer from SDL start to use a new system, mateCAT. Consequently, my reasoning is, we all lose, and I think SDL should give this feature in the next trados for free. I will suggest this anyway to SDL, let's pray they listen to me.
Cheers

[Edited at 2017-06-09 12:42 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:07
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
SDL policy seems to be a new version every other year Jun 9, 2017

javierxp wrote:

First, if you see the development of Studio, you have Studio 2007, 2009, 20011, 2014 (2013 skipped because of all the superstitious Americans - re. houses with 12th and 14th floor, but not 13th), 2015 and 2017. So I am pretty certain there won't be any 2018. I am not looking forward to it either, since 2017 hasn't been around that long anyway.

And re. SDLXLIFF Split/Merge, those who need it, can clearly download it for free once and then use it "by default" after that.

That said, I am not fond of the way SDL do things with different utilities for each job:

Studio for translation
SDL MultiTerm for creating termbases (why can't it be integrated in the CAT tool in the first place, like for instance in Dejavu??)
SDL Multiterm Convert for converting for instance Excel terminology lists before importing them into a termbase
etc.
etc.

So there is clearly a lot of different applications which could be integrated into Studio, of which Split/Merge would be only one example.

Roy

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:07
English to Thai
+ ...
mateCAT is a good option Jun 10, 2017

Please do not forget that mateCAT is very compatible with Trados. In particular, I exchange Trados TM files to work with mateCAT more efficiently.

Dr. Soonthon Lupkitaro Ph.D.
Bangkok

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would Trados 2017 split a big file into several translators and then merge it as a single file?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »