Karina Garcia Pedroche
Karina Garcia Pedroche  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 7, 2017

Dear all,

I am working with a colleague using the Google Translate API in Trados Studio 2017. I´ve imported the TM of my colleague, and when updating my bilingual file, segment by segment, with the updated TM after the import, the Google MT segments my colleague confirmed without performing any editing don't show up in the TM results window.
I've checked the TM to see if those segments were correctly imported by my colleague, and also correctly imported by me, and they do app
... See more
Dear all,

I am working with a colleague using the Google Translate API in Trados Studio 2017. I´ve imported the TM of my colleague, and when updating my bilingual file, segment by segment, with the updated TM after the import, the Google MT segments my colleague confirmed without performing any editing don't show up in the TM results window.
I've checked the TM to see if those segments were correctly imported by my colleague, and also correctly imported by me, and they do appear both in the exported tmx file, and in my updated TM after the import.
I also checked whether there was any setting I needed to adjust for the MT confirmed results to appear in the TM results window, but I could not find any specific settings.
Does anybody know why this happens? I have to open my colleague's bilingual file to copy and paste those segments, or to copy them from the search results in the TM Search section of Trados Studio.

Regards, Karina
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:07
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Change search values Jun 7, 2017

If I understand you correctly, a colleague created a TM based on an unedited machine translation by Google?

How the TM was created is not relevant, however: you have a Studio based TM (sdltm) into which the tmx was imported?

The TM is active in your current project? And you mention that you did check the entries (in TM view?).

You have imported or created a bilingual sdlxlff file in the project? (nb: a tmx is also a bilingual file).

The problem
... See more
If I understand you correctly, a colleague created a TM based on an unedited machine translation by Google?

How the TM was created is not relevant, however: you have a Studio based TM (sdltm) into which the tmx was imported?

The TM is active in your current project? And you mention that you did check the entries (in TM view?).

You have imported or created a bilingual sdlxlff file in the project? (nb: a tmx is also a bilingual file).

The problem is that when you start translating the sdlxliff, the target segments are not populated with the (supposedly identical) matches (which you might call MT confirmed results?) in the TM?

That all being said, Studio is sometimes buggy and does not show any results in the translation results pane and doesn't populate target segments. The first thing I always try when this occurs, is:
Go to File > Options > Language Pairs > All Language Pairs > Translation Memory and Automated Translation and select "Search".
In the right hand pane, you'll see Minimum Match Value fields for Translation and further down under Concordance.
Sometimes randomly lowering or increasing these values (e.g. from 70 to 65 or vice versa), and making sure the first 3 check boxes (under Translation) are ticked (although the 3rd one is not needed if you yourself are not connected to any MT engine), might kick Studio into action.

Let us know if that makes sense and if that helps.
Collapse

Karina Garcia Pedroche
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More specifically... here's the process Jun 7, 2017

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

The problem is that when you start translating the sdlxliff, the target segments are not populated with the (supposedly identical) matches (which you might call MT confirmed results?) in the TM?

That all being said, Studio is sometimes buggy and does not show any results in the translation results pane and doesn't populate target segments. The first thing I always try when this occurs, is:
Go to File > Options > Language Pairs > All Language Pairs > Translation Memory and Automated Translation and select "Search".
In the right hand pane, you'll see Minimum Match Value fields for Translation and further down under Concordance.
Sometimes randomly lowering or increasing these values (e.g. from 70 to 65 or vice versa), and making sure the first 3 check boxes (under Translation) are ticked (although the 3rd one is not needed if you yourself are not connected to any MT engine), might kick Studio into action.

Let us know if that makes sense and if that helps.

Dear Lianne,

This is the whole process: I created a bilingual file and processed with the Google MT API. Then I sent the sdlxlff file to my colleague. She worked on the first segments and sent me both the exported TM and her sdlxlff file. I then imported her exported TM into my TM. Then, I placed the cursos into each segment to see and apply the TM results, and it showed all the segments except those in which my colleague hadn't make any change in the MT.

I've checked the settings, as you suggest, and lowered the coincidence to 65%. The rest is set as you describe, but that doesn't seem to be the soltion. Thanks for the help.

Regards, Karina

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Segments were not confirmed Jun 8, 2017

This then sounds like the unedited segments were not confirmed (i.e. written) into the tm? What is the status in the status column of the segments that don't show up in the translation results or concordance window?

Karina Garcia Pedroche
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thought so, but not Jun 8, 2017

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

This then sounds like the unedited segments were not confirmed (i.e. written) into the tm? What is the status in the status column of the segments that don't show up in the translation results or concordance window?

I thought the same, and then checked the xliff file to see if the segments were confirmed, but they did were confirmed, commited to the TM, correctly exported and finally imported by me to my own TM. But still they don't show up in the translation results

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Update TM Jun 8, 2017

You might want to try updating the tm then. Older post, similar issue:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/263168-studio_2014_wont_find_matches_in_tm_why.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-edited Google MT segments won't appear in TM results

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »