aha
aha  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:17
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
May 19, 2017

I bought Studio 2017 recently after having used 2007/2009 for years.

Everything worked fine until in a fit of spring-cleaning madness I decided to delete the old Trados versions that I never use, i.e. programs that were installed years ago.

Now I can no longer open a project package by double-clicking it, and the file icons are blank sheets.

I went through 'Open with' and chose Studio 2017 as the default program, etc., but this only changed the file icon
... See more
I bought Studio 2017 recently after having used 2007/2009 for years.

Everything worked fine until in a fit of spring-cleaning madness I decided to delete the old Trados versions that I never use, i.e. programs that were installed years ago.

Now I can no longer open a project package by double-clicking it, and the file icons are blank sheets.

I went through 'Open with' and chose Studio 2017 as the default program, etc., but this only changed the file icon to a blank sheet with a Studio 2017 icon in the middel and not the original icon with the green arrow.

Also, double-clicking this file icon only opens Studio 2017 and does not start the import process. So I have to click 'Open package', etc. to proceed.

Does anyone know what might be causing this and if it is related to my deletion of the old programs?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
I would try reinstalling Studio May 19, 2017

It could be that you inadvertently removed some necessary files that Studio needs in the spring cleaning process. If so, a repair installation should correct the problem.

Just to be safe, I would recall the license first, just to be safe, so that you don't get in trouble with the activation, although I think you should be safe even if you don't. Better to be safe than sorry.

Roy

Yolande Hivart
Yolande Hivart
Austria
Member (2016)
German to French
I have the same problem since last windows update May 20, 2017

I am on windows 10 and i removed trados 2015 without an issue, Trados 2017 kept working as before till last microsoft patch. Since last windows patch, the file ending is not recognized anymore by windows for any shorcuts clicking on the package (either double clicking or right click and translate with trados). Double clicking just open Trados. I get a message that the file format is not supported. I have to manually open trados and from there the package from the file tab in order to be able to ... See more
I am on windows 10 and i removed trados 2015 without an issue, Trados 2017 kept working as before till last microsoft patch. Since last windows patch, the file ending is not recognized anymore by windows for any shorcuts clicking on the package (either double clicking or right click and translate with trados). Double clicking just open Trados. I get a message that the file format is not supported. I have to manually open trados and from there the package from the file tab in order to be able to import it.

Reinstalling did not help.

[Edited at 2017-05-20 05:27 GMT]
Collapse

Matthew Docherty

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:17
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
This happens with Excel files in my Windows May 20, 2017

SDL Studio works without problem, but when I click on an Excel file only the application opens, and I have to load the file separately. This started a few months ago. With Word no problem (Office 2016).

aha
aha  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your replies Jun 9, 2017

For some reason I didn't receive email alerts of your replies, so I assumed no-one had answered.

I still have the problem and was going to post my question in a different forum.

I am thinking of reinstalling, but Haneder's post is discouraging in that respect.

Maybe my problem is unrelated to my removal of older versions, which may have coincided with a Windows update (I use Windows 7 Professional)

I don't suppose anyone has found a solution ye
... See more
For some reason I didn't receive email alerts of your replies, so I assumed no-one had answered.

I still have the problem and was going to post my question in a different forum.

I am thinking of reinstalling, but Haneder's post is discouraging in that respect.

Maybe my problem is unrelated to my removal of older versions, which may have coincided with a Windows update (I use Windows 7 Professional)

I don't suppose anyone has found a solution yet?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 7 no longer recognizes SDL Trados Studio 2017 files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »