Capitalization with accents?
Thread poster: Caiman
Caiman
Caiman
United States
Local time: 14:44
Spanish to English
Dec 3, 2016

Anyone aware of a font that allows you to accent capitalized letters? I am using MS Word translating English>Spanish.

Marco Solinas
Marco Solinas  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:44
Italian to English
+ ...
US international keyboard Dec 3, 2016

I do it all the time on all fonts using the US international keyboard setting.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:44
English to Spanish
... Dec 3, 2016

Caiman wrote:

Anyone aware of a font that allows you to accent capitalized letters? I am using MS Word translating English>Spanish.

I am not aware of any font used in Spanish that does not allow to put accents on capitalized letters.

Mikhail Zavidin
Mikhail Zavidin
Local time: 21:44
English to Russian
+ ...
In the Word Dec 3, 2016

Just use the following combinations in Word

Alt+0769 — acute accent as in Á
Alt+0768 — grave accent as in À

It should work for any font.

Caiman
Caiman
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed! Dec 3, 2016

Selecting "Enforce Accented Uppercase in French" in the Spelling and Grammar section of Word preferences did the trick. Before, Word would not let me put accents on capitalized letters, they would come out looking like this < E´ > so I was using a laborious work-around. Thanks!

Luximar Arenas Petty
Luximar Arenas Petty  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another Option Dec 3, 2016

In Word, you can have the KEY Caps Lock activated and just keep pressed the key Ctrl and then hit the key ', that would do the trick as well.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Do what now? Dec 4, 2016

AFAIK the convention on accents in all-cap words was that they weren't required, but the DRAE had a reshuffle recently so anything is possible... I'll ask my filo... Spanish colleague about it mañana...

You know, like in France years ago the newspapers gave up and just made them all flat for headlines...

[Edited at 2016-12-04 20:29 GMT]
... See more
AFAIK the convention on accents in all-cap words was that they weren't required, but the DRAE had a reshuffle recently so anything is possible... I'll ask my filo... Spanish colleague about it mañana...

You know, like in France years ago the newspapers gave up and just made them all flat for headlines...

[Edited at 2016-12-04 20:29 GMT]

AQUÍ FUNCIONA CON NORMÁLIDÀD.....

[Edited at 2016-12-04 20:30 GMT]
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:44
English to Spanish
Accents required Dec 4, 2016

neilmac wrote:

AFAIK the convention on accents in all-cap words was that they weren't required, but the DRAE had a reshuffle recently so anything is possible...

Accents are required for capital letters. Check the grammar published on 2010 by the RAE.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Accent, moi? Dec 5, 2016

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

neilmac wrote:

AFAIK the convention on accents in all-cap words was that they weren't required, but the DRAE had a reshuffle recently so anything is possible...

Accents are required for capital letters. Check the grammar published on 2010 by the RAE.

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I did check it with my expert colleague today, who says: "si llevan acento gráfico en minúscula, también se pone en mayúscula" ...
So I was mistaken.

"El empleo de la mayúscula no exime de poner la tilde cuando así lo exijan las reglas de acentuación gráfica: CÓRDOBA. (http://aplica.rae.es/orweb/cgi-bin/buscar.cgi)

[Edited at 2016-12-05 18:20 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Capitalization with accents?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »